Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 05:28 AM   #76
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua.P View Post
I once got spoken to by a mod for calling someone a troll.
Yes, it's not allowed in public. You're supposed to complain to the moderators in private.

Andrew
andyh2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:33 AM   #77
Joshua.P
The Dark Knight
Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Well I know that NOW, ahaahha.
Joshua.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:10 AM   #78
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
Yes, it's not allowed in public. You're supposed to complain to the moderators in private.

Andrew
Oops! Sorry about that. I honestly didn't mean "troll" in the sense that it normally gets stated, (more of an "I like this question" rather than an "Oh brother, not another troll!" ) but nonetheless .... thanks for the reminder.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #79
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Oops! Sorry about that. I honestly didn't mean "troll" in the sense that it normally gets stated, (more of an "I like this question" rather than an "Oh brother, not another troll!" ) but nonetheless .... thanks for the reminder.
I'm not sure I agree with the policy, but it's not my forum.
Andrew
Old 10-09-2012, 06:47 AM   #80
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
I'm not sure I agree with the policy, but it's not my forum.
Andrew
Well, it's important to have guidelines, because in a moment of thoughtlessness it can be easy to accidentally say something that hurts someone's feelings. I've been on both sides, so whatever their policies are, I try to cooperate.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:47 AM   #81
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
What exactly did the OP say that was so awful?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matriarch View Post
I'm wondering the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I agree. I do not understand the hostility here.
The only thing I found wrong with the OP's post was that although the question itself was rather innocuous, it wasn't really asked in a "just curious," conversational kind of way. It smacked of a; "so when when did you stop beating your wife?" kind of question.

So I don't think the OP did anything atrocious... but they did ask a bit of a loaded question. And the choices for answers only allowed for the possibilities that ebook buyers had either "forgotten" the pleasures of physical book browsing, or traded that pleasure for convenience. That's all I was responding to.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-09-2012 at 06:50 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #82
spindlegirl
Wizard

The reason I responded seriously to the question is because there are a lot of people who find shopping a joy and a pleasure, and sometimes it's not (very often) on their radar that there are people who, for whatever reasons, shopping just isn't on the list of things they do except out of necessity.

I too have issues with anxiety and agoraphobia, and occasionally I can shop and have a pretty good time, but for the most part, I try to avoid situations that draw attention to it (in public). I am often fine with my husband or kids. who respect my needs. But it takes a LOT of motivation to get me anywhere near a mall by myself.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #83
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I like the experience of shopping at book stores, but I don't like the experience of finding space to store all the books I buy, or the experience of reading small text, so I prefer e-books.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #84
andyh2000
Avid reader

I wish I could browse eBook shops (Amazon etc.) by width of spine. I like me a good doorstopper space opera or fantasy epic. Does anywhere let you sort/search by page length?

Andrew
Old 10-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #85
spindlegirl
Wizard

True, because filesize often is a poor indicator of book length, especially if books are artificially bloated with graphical chapter headers and fancy giant first paragraph letters that take up a good 8MB of space.

(Literally, I bought a romance novel that I downloaded at 8MB, when I exploded the epub, what was taking up the space was all of that, when I pitched the images folder, the REAL text size of 0.3MB was revealed (0.3 - 0.5 is about the average size of a novel IME)
Old 10-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #86
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
None of those three choices apply at all. I never really found the book-browsing experience all that pleasurable in the first place ... to be perfectly honest. So nothing to "forget" or to be "displaced" here.

I like to read books. Pure and simple. I don't care about holding them, sniffing them, feeling their texture, locating them, talking to other people who are trying to locate them, lovingly perusing their spines/covers, or leaving them in conspicuous places so people can notice them and hopefully be impressed with my impeccable tastes. I like to gobble up their contents and move on to the next one, ASAP. That's it. Nothing else. I've always loved book guts waaaay more than the physical object previously known as "book."

So ebooks were a complete no-brainer for me. No gasoline involved, no time spent traveling to where the books all hang out before I buy them, no shipping and handling costs to get them delivered to me, and no annoying person trying to make small talk and generally delaying my mission to immerse myself in my new book's guts. That, and being less than a minute away from "that sounds like a cool book" to "look at me reading that cool book." And oh yeah ... Free Sample Chapters of any book that catches my eye and the synopsis doesn't turn me off.

The "book" is a lie ... the "words" are where all the value lies. Ebooks allow me to easily skip right past all the distracting lies.

Enjoy your (I'm assuming) brief sojourn among the philistines.
I actually still very enjoy browsing in bookstores, but other than that I agree completely with everything Diapdealer said. Whn ereaders came out, I was totally against them. Prefer the feel of the book in my hand, the smell, cover art, blah blah blah. Then the Kindle 3 came out and it was affordable, and I learned of the free public domain stuff available hear and on Project Gutenburg and elsewhere, and I became a convert. I've had my Kindle for over 2 years now and have not looked back.

The physical book itself is enjoyable, but also a distraction. It's an imperfect vehicle. I find I read much faster with my kindle because it does a great job of getting out of the way of the words. It's a "purer" book reading experience. Not having to hold a bulky book open means it become possible to read in more situations (i.e. being able to easily read while eating lunch which is my ritual every single workday).
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #87
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
The OP is Too Active on the site to be considered a Troll. I read other posts made by them in other threads. Since this site is ALL about eReaders & eBooks I just wondered why they joined. I once asked a computer question got slamed by the PTB & that WAS about an eBook! But my thread was Removed & mods sent me nasty note about it! Anyway I would think the OP would be more comfortable on sites that deal with PB/HB books. Sites like PaperBackSwap.com they have a forum for members to talk about books All Kinds & general every day things. Of course they also swap books! LOL

One thing I dont like about ebooks is not all are lendable. & once you buy they cant be shared with others. Unlike paperbacks I buy dont like I can pass it to some one who might enjoy it. Limits the amount of money I want to spend on ebook!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #88
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I am not saying anyone did anything wrong per se but to post on a forum about how the topic activity of the forum is inferior etc. to what I shall call non-mobile-reading is kind of annoying and condescending.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #89
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I am not saying anyone did anything wrong per se but to post on a forum about how the topic activity of the forum is inferior etc. to what I shall call non-mobile-reading is kind of annoying and condescending.
Perhaps the OP actually made a cry for help? Make us convince him that ereaders are the way to go -- because he is lusting for one and can't justify it to himself?

To me it isn't even close. I will never buy a pbook again (except perhaps photography books). Ebooks are more convenient to search for and to buy, no shipping charges, no storage problems, always available anywhere, I much prefer reading on the Kindle to reading a pbook, etc. I could go on all day.

Last edited by HansTWN; 10-09-2012 at 10:31 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #90
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Along with what diapdealer and joykins already pointed out I find it off putting to have that kind of attitude while they turn around and sell the very same thing they're criticizing.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote