Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #16
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Formatting errors? I find Mantano does the best job in getting formatting right. It one of the only ones that reads external style sheets correctly. What kind of formatting errors do you speak of?
I'm puzzled as well. That's the first I've heard of poor formatting. The app is darn near perfect for .epub at this stage. Even those who are fans of other apps admit it's really good.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I'm puzzled as well. That's the first I've heard of poor formatting. The app is darn near perfect for .epub at this stage. Even those who are fans of other apps admit it's really good.
The only thing they need to fix is Italics\Bold when using your own font, it still uses the default. You get use to it after awhile but it'd be nice to have a full font family when reading your book.

Other then that I have no complaints. As you said it's near perfect!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #18
TechnoCat
Zealot
TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Formatting errors? I find Mantano does the best job in getting formatting right. It one of the only ones that reads external style sheets correctly. What kind of formatting errors do you speak of?
I tried two ebooks. In one case I was particularly bothered by yellow highlighting and blue hyperlink-like styling in large chunks that I couldn't get to go away; in the other there were several instances of words placed on top of other words. I then used Calibre to convert the books to Kindle format and they didn't have either of those problem on the Fire.

It's possible that my first two specimens were defective, but two tries was enough for me.
TechnoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #19
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoCat View Post
I tried two ebooks. In one case I was particularly bothered by yellow highlighting and blue hyperlink-like styling in large chunks that I couldn't get to go away; in the other there were several instances of words placed on top of other words. I then used Calibre to convert the books to Kindle format and they didn't have either of those problem on the Fire.

It's possible that my first two specimens were defective, but two tries was enough for me.
Sounds like your epubs were seriously messed up. Mantano doesn't do that! I always recommend running a epub through Calibre and remove the fonts and colors using the boxes in Look and Feel. Too many people have no clue how to make a proper epub and they are all over the net. I am always fixing someone else's mess.

Reason it looks okay on the Fire is Calibre fixed it. Do a epub to epub conversion next time and remember to check those boxes!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #20
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
An alternative option is that you could install the Overdrive for Android app. There is a link here.
http://overdrive.com/Software/omc/

You would then need to authorize the app with an Adobe ID and password (many people already have these). When you check out your books choose EPUB rather than Kindle format if you plan to read them within this app.

I haven't tried the Android version, but I use the iPhone version for both ebooks and audiobooks.
And libraries typically have audiobooks which you can use OMC to listen to. It's worth having in the toolbox for that alone.

I would prefer to use Mantano Reader for library ePub/PDF (OMC doesn't offer layout options for larger screens, and doesn't do PDF), but it doesn't support that variation of Adobe DRM yet. Looks like I'll need to put Bluefire or Aldiko on at least for awhile, but am getting tired of 'activating' apps (for Adobe DRM) that I don't even want to use in the first place. Just had to get my activations bumped up again...

Last edited by tomsem; 12-24-2011 at 08:42 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote