Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
ctragdoll
ctragdoll began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ
Question Problems with software for library books

I hope someone can help me with this. I have had the IQ since the beginning of 2011 and it has generally been very good. I bought it primarily because of it's capability for downloading library books (ePub format, etc). I have used a program called Overdrive Media Console for this and it generally works quite well.

Recently I began having a problem with two things: deleting expired titles and downloading a new book that I checked out from the library site. I have been in contact with customer support for the library site (Bibliomation) and they, in turn, have been contacting Overdrive Media. (Apparantly this company will NOT let the customer contact them directly.) So far their suggestions have not worked. The last suggestion was to uninstall the program and reinstall it. Against my better judgment I did this, and of course now I cannot reinstall it. The program downloads and then appears to install, and then a message appears stating "program not installed." I have tried this numerous times with no success. It was suggested to down load using the Android market, but Overdrive doesn't come up in the searches I have done. I know that the Android 2.0 OS on the IQ is limiting but Overdrive states on their website that the program requires 1.5 or higher.

If this can't be resolved I basically have a useless device for my purposes. I would appreciate any help anyone can provide with this. I just ask that you please answer in terms that the average person can understand; I am NOT a computer techie and I don't understand half of what comes up on this site!

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
ctragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
pippopelo
Connoisseur
pippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle 4th, Paperwhite 5th, Paperwhite 10th
Try this solution, but your IQ must be rooted.

If is not rooted follow the section "How to root" on this page: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Pocketbook_IQ_701

Then install and use Root Explorer, go to user_data -> data -> data and delete com.overdrive.mobile.android.mediaconsole directory, try to reinstall the apk.

You can download Overdrive from here: http://db.tt/xrYPbwb2

Last edited by pippopelo; 12-22-2011 at 05:56 PM.
pippopelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
A thought: do you have many other apps installed? If not, try resetting to factory conditions. Might be easier than hacking it.
BTW, which OS version are you running?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
ctragdoll

Pocketbook IQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
A thought: do you have many other apps installed? If not, try resetting to factory conditions. Might be easier than hacking it.
BTW, which OS version are you running?

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestions. The I Q runs android 2.0 per the manufacturer and cannot be upgraded.
I' d rather not hack it because it was designed to read the library book formats and has always worked. I don' t have a lot of apps on it so doing a factory reset is not a problem. How do I do it?
Old 12-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctragdoll View Post
Hi,
Thanks for the suggestions. The I Q runs android 2.0 per the manufacturer and cannot be upgraded.
I' d rather not hack it because it was designed to read the library book formats and has always worked. I don' t have a lot of apps on it so doing a factory reset is not a problem. How do I do it?
Yes, it runs Android 2.0, but Pocketbook has over the last year been steadily updating the implementation of Android on the the IQ (AKA, the firmware). They have changed/improved the included apps and utilities and debugged drivers, among other modifications.

If you go to settings, under DEVICE, you'll find a description of the firmware version. If you haven't updated since you got it, you may be running version 2.0.4 or earlier. New and improved (and stable enough to use) are versions 2.0.6 and 2.1.1.

To reset to factory settings you just go to the Settings and look for Privacy.

It'll restore the device to its factory condition but will not affect the SD card.
You *will* have to reinstall your apps and re-enter your WiFi settings.

If you want to update to a newer firmware you can find the files and instructions here:
http://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/support/pocketbook-iq

Good luck!
Old 12-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
ctragdoll

I am running firmware 2.0.6; I haven't upgraded to 2.1.1 because there were a lot of negative comments about it on the forum and it didn't seem necessary.

I did the factory reset last night and tried once again to install Overdrive Media Console with no success. For some reason it downloads and then will not install.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Try going back to an older version.
You may be dealing with the corrupt partition problem that afflicts some 2.06 and newer firmwares.

Do other apps install?
Old 12-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #8
ctragdoll

I have had no problems with firmware 2.0.6 since installing it and I do not want to go back to an older version unless absolutely necessary. So far I have been told to uninstall and reinstall the Overdrive software and the Adobe digital editions software and do a factory reset and nothing has worked. In addition to this forum I have contacted both Pocketbook and Bibliomation/Overdrive and so far am no further along in solving this problem than I was when I started. I just don't understand how a program can work fine for almost a year and then stop working! Maybe the device is defective and I should pursue a replacement under the warranty? Can you tell that my frustration level is very high right now? Thanks for all the help and for letting me vent.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:37 AM   #9
pippopelo
Connoisseur
pippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle 4th, Paperwhite 5th, Paperwhite 10th
If never happens after reset, probably are an error on sd-card, try to rename or delete any folder created on sd from Overdrive. I think the problem is on it.
pippopelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iq 701, library epub, overdrive