Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-25-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
Pilgrim
Pilgrim began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Just Ordered 1st Reader - UK

Hi,

After lurking for a couple of weeks have just ordered myself a Sony PRS-505 from WH Smiths here in the UK (£199.99 online).

Am a fairly regular ebook user already but via my phone (currently Samsung Omnia using the Mobibook s/w).

Looking forward to using the e-ink, customising the device and just using it on a day to day basis to read on.

Any pointers on apps to use or recommended threads welcomed. My initial plan is to install Calibre (is it correct that I should not even bother with the Sony app?).
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Any pointers on apps to use or recommended threads welcomed. My initial plan is to install Calibre (is it correct that I should not even bother with the Sony app?).
There's no problem having them both installed as long as you don't try & use them both at the same time (as they both write to the same 'index' file on the reader). The one advantage of the Sony app is that it can 'preformat' the book as it transfers it whereas with Calibre (or just copying books overs) you'll find that the first time you open/switch to a new font size, you'll need to wait while it formats the book.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Pilgrim and welcome to MobileRead. I got a 505 over a year ago and like it a lot.

Be sure and let us know how you like yours once it arrives
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Hi Pilgrim and welcome to the forum!

I've had my 505 for a couple of months now and still loving it! If you haven't found it yet, the wiki (the link is at the very top of the page) has a great deal of useful information.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote