Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-07-2006, 09:07 PM   #1
urklore
urklore began at the beginning.

Microsoft Word questions

Hello All,
I been following the threads and the various reviews on the Sony Portable Reader. I have a tablet PC but like the travel ability of the Sony Reader. However, I mainly wish to use it for my Dungeons & Dragons Gaming Sessions.

Could some of you owners of the Sony Reader help me with the questions below?

How are Microsoft Word docs converted or otherwise ported over to the reader?

Are the font sizes, formatting (bold, italics, underline, etc) kept?

Will the author and title of said documents be generated in the reader menu by the properties of each individual word file?

For example how would a file like this look on the reader?

http://www.anime-adventurers.net/sony/
urklore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:02 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
First off, welcome to MobileRead, urklore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urklore
How are Microsoft Word docs converted or otherwise ported over to the reader?
Save 'em as an RTF, import the Doc file into Connect and let it convert to RTF, or print them as PDFs sized to the screen -- I don't remember the dimensions off-hand, but they're around here somewhere. (rummage, rummage)

You may want to do the PDF option for that because for some reason RTF doesn't display in-line images and such at the moment.

Quote:
Are the font sizes, formatting (bold, italics, underline, etc) kept?
Yes, but the fonts appear much smaller on the Reader, general consensus is that 16~18 points is a good general target for RTF, but sized PDF's likely wouldn't need the fonts bumped up.

Quote:
Will the author and title of said documents be generated in the reader menu by the properties of each individual word file?
If you enter them in the File=>Properties menu they will.

Quote:
For example how would a file like this look on the reader?

http://www.anime-adventurers.net/sony/
That one would probably come out pretty well, actually, you don't have any pix or complicated table layouts in it. If you did a sized PDF, you might want to print it in landscape so that you'd get the wider margin aligned with the text, but I'd suggest you play with it to see what works best for you. I can't mock it up for you at the moment as my wife wants me to get off-line, they're funny that way sometimes.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
erolkrU
erolkrU began at the beginning.

Quote:
Hello All,]
We live in the mind of the one.
erolkrU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:15 PM   #4
pinenut
pinenut began at the beginning.

I am still having problems getting the title and author imorted onto the reader. I right clikck on the property of a rtf file and enter the title and author in the Summary window. The info is saved but it does not show in the reader. What else do I need to do?
pinenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:32 PM   #5
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
For it to show in the Reader it must be added in the Properties box within Word. Select File | Properties
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Duke's right, the properties box that you can modify in Windows Explorer file view does not input to the same Properties box as Word and the Reader use.

I have played around with Open Office Writer 2.1 and not been able to get their properties to show up in the Reader either.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:56 PM   #7
pinenut
pinenut began at the beginning.

Thank you for clarifying this matter. If I am not mistaken, I may not be the only one that has been misled about this.
pinenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #8
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Check out this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ghlight=author

Itamote has a post that explains how to edit an RTF file with Notepad to add in the author and title info.

Cheers,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:56 PM   #9
ae.in.gbg
ae.in.gbg began at the beginning.

Device: hope; sony prs-500
Hello I got my sony reader two days ago and I am still trying to find the best format for reading on it. I mostly read manuals, but perhaps now when its more convinient to "carry" the books I will read more novels to. I have tried PDFrasterFarian 2.1.4, and it works nice, but I realy like the size button when reading the lrf books. So then I thought I should try the rtf format. But the reader gets hung and I have to reset, when I try the following book, in word fromat.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/256/The-C-...mming-Language
Has anyone a clue why?
ae.in.gbg is offline   Reply With Quote