Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-10-2010, 07:19 AM   #1
Grannygamer
Grannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PSR-900
1-day owner; did I make a mistake?

Just found this forum! Hullo all! I am a 1-day owner of an e-reader, the Sony 900. While I spent so much time researching readers online before deciding on the Sony Daily Edition (which I love, actually), now that I have it I realize I didn't really research downloadable books; just assumed more would be available.

When I look at the Sony store and Fictionwise, I don't understand why there are so few bestseller/mainstream type books available. By contrast, the Amazon Kindle has many more books available. I had (mistakenly?) gotten the impression that epub was the more prevalent format. But now that I have the reader and have downloaded 1 or 2 of the freebie classics that I am very happy to have, I can't find anything to buy.

May is usually a big book month for me; several new releases come out that I buy right away. I had hoped to buy them as ebooks. It looks like Kindle might have one or two of them but I don't see them as upcoming in epub.

My questions to the group is:

1. Is epub still too new? Did I jump on the bandwagon too soon? I can't even find classics I'd love to have in ebook format (Daphne DuMaurier, for example).

2. Should I return the Daily Reader and get the Kindle DX instead? I thought the DX was a tad too big (and the Kindle 2 too small), but if I can actually USE the unit because books are available, maybe I should do that and eat the restocking fee.

3. Can I buy a Kindle ebook and convert it to epub format?

Sure would appreciate any help. This was not a negligible purchase for a retired couple and would like to really get benefit from it.
Grannygamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:38 AM   #2
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Hi, Grannygamer. Welcome to ebooks and MobileRead!

While Amazon.com does have the largest selection, and you will encounter some titles that only they have, most of the time you can hunt down an ePub version somewhere.

Try searching at Inkmesh. The results will say what format the ebook is in.

It's just a matter of time before ePub selection rivals Amazon's Kindle store. It's already nearly there, just not all in one place. Amazon worked hard to get a head start but there are only so many books in the world. Others will catch up.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
You might not be seeing some because of the agency switchover, but usually Sony has almost all of the new bestsellers (I rarely have a problem). Sony also doesn't show any more which books are coming out (they used to). So if it's not out yet, and you don't see it on Sony, that's why. But it's fair to say at least 75% of the time if not more that if Amazon has it for preorder you should be able to get it for your Sony.

In the meantime, there's plenty of great ePub books to read on here!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
No you did not make a mistake.
There are many reading devices and each of those have their good points and bad points.
We could discuss endlessly relative merits of various devices, but Sony Reader is a very well made one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannygamer View Post
1. Is epub still too new? Did I jump on the bandwagon too soon? I can't even find classics I'd love to have in ebook format (Daphne DuMaurier, for example).
epub is relatively new, but it is strongly becoming a standard.
Visit the E-Books link at the top of the page and download thousands of lovingly formatted classics for your reader.
Visit the Wiki link at the top of this page and find out now to check out books from a library. Many libraries have Overdrive system for lending epub e-books.
At the Wiki you can also find lots of places where you can get download free books or buy books in formats for your Sony reader.

Quote:
2. Should I return the Daily Reader and get the Kindle DX instead? I thought the DX was a tad too big (and the Kindle 2 too small), but if I can actually USE the unit because books are available, maybe I should do that and eat the restocking fee.
No need to return it.
Go and discover new authors. Visit some links mentioned above and also look at this https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26 subforum.
Now you have wonderful opportunity to discover great books you won't find at the bestseller section in Wallmart.

Quote:
3. Can I buy a Kindle ebook and convert it to epub format?
Yes, you can.
You can purchase the books using Kindle application for PC (but only if Amazon decides that you live in an approved geographical location) and then convert them.
I can not describe the process of converting on this forum. Google for unswindle.

EDIT:
Oh. There is one more thing.
At this moment we are in the middle of the war. Publishers versus e-book distributors and e-book readers. The publishers and distributors are in the middle of transition to the "agency model" so at this very moment many books are unavailable. This should change in a few weeks and hopefully we will see the books back.

Last edited by kacir; 04-10-2010 at 08:23 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Also, you can buy from more than just the Sony store. Fictionwise has some epubs, as does Books on Board. Kobo is all epubs.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #6
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Smile

Quote:
My questions to the group is:

Check out our very own ePub library here;
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php?forumid=130

Gunner...
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
Grannygamer
Grannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of lightGrannygamer is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PSR-900
Thank you all for your supportive posts. Inkmesh was a helpful link. That and also installing the Sony Reader software on the PC, which made searching a lot more comfortable; very easy to do a hashed up job searching when on the slower/smaller reader itself. I was indeed able to find books to purchase and bought my first one today. So tonight I will happily test it out; and, even more importantly, see if my library is also in the mix.

Thanks to all for the help. It can all be a bit overwhelming at first but sure appreciate the guidance!
Grannygamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
If you read science fiction, be sure to check out Baen.com.

Top-notch SF, DRM-free, in a variety of formats.

I already got the new Bujold e-ARC and the book's not out until November!
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #9
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Sadly, I don't believe Daphne du Maurier's works are available as ebooks.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
EPub is becoming the standard for everybody but Amazon. The problem is that it is strongly believed that Amazon has about 70% of the ebook market. So, EPub is the standard for 30% of the market and libraries. No offense, but I don't think that folks using the Kindle are in any danger of losing access to books because of the lack of EPub on the Kindle.

Sony's are very reliable and my guess is you can find the books you are looking for. You might have to do some more research. Check on the Sony board here, thre might be a topic about what ebook stores most the folks who own a Sony use.

I have bought all of my books through Amazon and there have been two books that were not available when I wanted them but that was due to the Penguin/Amazon standoff.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #11
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Also check out the following stores.

http://www.borders.com/online/store/Home
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.html?ebooks=ebooks
http://www.ebooks.com/
http://www.kobobooks.com/
http://www.booksamillion.com/
http://www.ezread.com/

If you like romance I have bunch of those as well. If you want I'll post them too.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #12
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Just found this forum! Hullo all! I am a 1-day owner of an e-reader, the Sony 900. While I spent so much time researching readers online before deciding on the Sony Daily Edition (which I love, actually), now that I have it I realize I didn't really research downloadable books; just assumed more would be available.

You might also want to check out the ebook collection from your local library. Many of the libraries offer ebooks to download in epub and pdf format. If yours does, you can have access of lots of "free" reading.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:55 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Daphne du Maurier only died in 1989, so her books are still very much protected by copyright everywhere.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:34 AM   #14
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I mainly bought my Kindle because of Amazons big selection on e-books. I had the Irex Iliad from before and was very frustrated with having to hunt down the books I wanted, often going to several different book stores on-line and sometimes not finding it at all.

I find it easier just having to relate to one shop instead of 3-4 different.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:08 AM   #15
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
I mainly bought my Kindle because of Amazons big selection on e-books. I had the Irex Iliad from before and was very frustrated with having to hunt down the books I wanted, often going to several different book stores on-line and sometimes not finding it at all.

I find it easier just having to relate to one shop instead of 3-4 different.

Yes, it does pretty much come down to a choice right now between ease of use and freedom of choice.

I'm glad you're happy with your Kindle - I'm happy with my Sony because I don't want one company having such control of my device or my files.

Here's hoping (fingers crossed) that the market shakes out in such a way that we can have both.

Well, I can dream, can't I?
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote