Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why ePub rather than HTML?

Not my question, but one that I found interesting enough to link over here in the possibility it might attract answers from expert people:

http://www.teleread.org/2009/03/22/w...stead-of-epub/
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I can see one very good reason to have ePub instead of HTML. ePub defines a way to keep all the pieces together. HTML can have them all over the place and it would be very easy to lose something. But because ePub is all in a single container, all the bits of the ePub are kept together without the risk of losing something.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
As a source format or as a final format for the reader? For a source format you want more information and for a final format you want to be able to have just one file.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
For source, I prefer HTML.

For destination, I can see myself using EPUB, if/when Sony provides a firmware that doesn't crash too often, is fast and isn't plagued by bugs.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've not had ePub crash at all on my 505.
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 10:25 PM   #6
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
The biggest reason for the failure of HTML would require a full explanation of the concepts of "semantic markup" and "structural markup" (as well as discovering along the way why XHTML isn't much better, and why DTBook is a better choice for ePubs).

After that, you could branch out into the rest of the ebook format wars, why ePub is just the most recent buzzword in the eBabel marketplace, as well as corporate influences (like Amazon giving the appearance of killing of MobiPocket) ... should keep the conversation alive for a few days ... or weeks ...
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:00 AM   #7
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've not had ePub crash at all on my 505.
I have, many times. Much less stable than LRF with my books.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:57 AM   #8
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
I have, many times. Much less stable than LRF with my books.
This is not the format's fault! It's Adobe's mobile version of Digital Editions that runs on the Sony Reader.

So give blame where blame is due.

[I'm just sayin'... I've personally never had mobile DE crash on me, and aside from the annoying margin page numbers, I find it rather pleasant]
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:45 AM   #9
pepak
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
This is not the format's fault!
That's rather redundant. If LRF kept crashing on me every three minutes, it almost certainly wouldn't be the format's fault either.

Quote:
It's Adobe's mobile version of Digital Editions that runs on the Sony Reader.

So give blame where blame is due.
The blame actually resides with Sony - it is Sony's responsibility to provide a reliable software for their reader. They don't have to write it all by themselves, but they are responsible even for third-party products they buy and use. I, the consumer, don't need to consider inner workings of Sony - I just want a stable product.

It's much like with any other products: If I buy a rotten beef from my local store, it is the store's responsibility; they can't get rid of it by telling me, "we buy beef from farm X. Go there and complain, we have nothing to do with it".
Old 03-27-2009, 07:25 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I don't use epub at all. Probably on 700 it is a good alternative, but unacceptable on 505.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:05 PM   #11
Student1
Groupie
Student1 doesn't litterStudent1 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Why is that? I use epup on 505, and for most of the google books its perfect! Fast and no crashes... conversions to epup are another story...
Student1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:41 AM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student1 View Post
Fast
Is it?
I have found out the opposite.
Going to TOC is a chore with spinning arrows. Changing font size sometimes is slow too.
Page count is a frustration in comparison to LRF, although a lot better than progress bar on other readers.

LRF is just working. The perfect page counting system. The best speed of turning pages or accessing TOC or changing font size.

I see no reason why to give up on it and use epub instead.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:54 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

ePub allows you to use whatever fonts you want and you can put the fonts on the Reader without having to embed in each ePub.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:59 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ePub allows you to use whatever fonts you want and you can put the fonts on the Reader without having to embed in each ePub.
It allows me to use different fonts without actually embedding the fonts? How will it know what fonts to use? Is there s/w feature that allows me to choose a font when I read a certain epub?

Quote:
you can put the fonts on the Reader
Do you mean there is an official, supported by Sony, guide how to do it?
Old 03-30-2009, 12:13 PM   #15
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
It allows me to use different fonts without actually embedding the fonts? How will it know what fonts to use? Is there s/w feature that allows me to choose a font when I read a certain epub?
See this post for details, but it's done by having the CSS in the epub book point off to a font on the Reader's local disk. As the epub is fundamentally just a zip file & the CSS file a text file, it doesn't require many tools (and even fewer if you use Calibre to do the conversion.)

If you point it to a folder below "/Data/", you're pointing it to the part of the disk that it exports as the USB drive, so you can create a 'fonts' folder (alongside the 'database' folder we're familiar with) and use something like "/Data/fonts/my-font.ttf".

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Do you mean there is an official, supported by Sony, guide how to do it?
Not as such, but this is a 'per-book' thing, rather than an 'across-reader' solution.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote