Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 09-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
NetSlut
Connoisseur
NetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader
Indexeses

An index of eBooks! An index of eBooks! My kingdom for an index of eBooks!

Unless there already is one or someone makes one, in which case Half a pack of crisps and a chocolate hob nob for an index of eBooks!

As someone new to the site, trying to see which books are here is proving to be a bit laborious. What I could really do with is a simple page or text file that lists *once* each title available, and a simple, single letter code denoting which formats that title is available in.

Has anyone done this?
NetSlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
online books page
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/

digital book index
http://www.digitalbookindex.com/_sea...ch011t-rev.asp

EBDB: electronic book database
http://www.ebdb.net/
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
NetSlut
Connoisseur
NetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enough

Thanks Patricia, helpful as always!

Is there an index specifically for this site?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Click on Ebooks then on 'Browse latest uploads'. If you click on say, 'M' on the alphabetical list, then on 'author/ebook' on the pale bluish-grey bar, then all the authors whose surnames begin with M will appear in alphabetical order.

It is a bit cumbersome and a better search facility may appear when Alex (the site-owner) has some free time. He is very busy at the moment.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:57 AM   #5
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Another method is to click the 'Full List' link for TXT or HTML in the right-hand corner.

Last edited by Sparrow; 09-05-2008 at 03:01 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2008, 03:06 AM   #6
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
I would give my left nu... well, maybe not, but I would bear the baby (even tho I am male) of the person who could make a REALLY good e-book indexer that can search my harddrive for e-books in different formats and index them...

I tried one that was called My Ebook Library which worked ok but could have used som more features. But that seems to have gone to /dev/null now. As the homepage is no longer available.

So, anyone know of such a beastie? Heck, I'm even willing to pay for it
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:55 AM   #7
NetSlut
Connoisseur

I might have a go at that, Slite; would you be willing to PM me with a list of features you'd like the thing to have?
Old 09-05-2008, 03:58 AM   #8
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSlut View Post
I might have a go at that, Slite; would you be willing to PM me with a list of features you'd like the thing to have?
Will do
Old 09-05-2008, 11:39 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i would also be really really interested in such a program. and i am sure many other people around here would...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:51 AM   #10
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i would also be really really interested in such a program. and i am sure many other people around here would...
Maybe a joint effort as far as wishlist is concerned?

I'll start:

Search indicated directories for e-books, index by format, option to download info/isbn from isbndb.com. Search database by title, isbn, genre and format.

For starters
Old 09-05-2008, 12:04 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Maybe a joint effort as far as wishlist is concerned?
good idea !

i'll add :
- ability to sort by author or title (or other ?)
- complete meta-data support, including description / summary !! even cover image would be nice.
- possibility to edit meta-data, at least in the database, ideally in the file itself (but that might be harder).
- option to create lists / groupes of books, and possibly even re-organise the files themselves accordingly (like : all of Dorothy L. Sayers together, regardless of format. or, all mobi format together in one directory).
- possibility to add tags / comments of your own (like : to read, read, first of series, etc.)
- possibility to add books manually to create a "wish-list" of books you don't have, with meta-date (isbn) completed automatically perhaps, and tags and comments ("recommended by...")

...for starters. if that's possible, of course !!!

(methinks NetSlut may end up regretting his proposal to make this program...)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:49 PM   #12
NetSlut
Connoisseur

Quote:
good idea !

That's an excellent idea.

Please, everyone, do pitch in with any features you're interested in. I'll let this part run for a couple of days, and then I'll take stock and actually design the thing. Then I'll write it whenever I've got time.

I've been looking for a personal project for some time, so this is ideal.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:57 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSlut View Post
As someone new to the site, trying to see which books are here is proving to be a bit laborious. What I could really do with is a simple page or text file that lists *once* each title available, and a simple, single letter code denoting which formats that title is available in.
There is a text file / download guide that is available. https://www.mobileread.com/mobiguide however it isn't "all" books just the mobi format ones. It is also a mobipocket books itself. I wouldn't be surprised if alex could use the same code that creates this and have it output to a CSV text file or a spread sheet. Ah, it looks like you can get a text file listing from here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebo...tlist&type=txt . Once again it is ALL the books in all formats. However, I don't see anything like CSV, XML or other well deliniated method.

BOb

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:01 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
good idea !

i'll add :
- ability to sort by author or title (or other ?)
- complete meta-data support, including description / summary !! even cover image would be nice.
- possibility to edit meta-data, at least in the database, ideally in the file itself (but that might be harder).
- option to create lists / groupes of books, and possibly even re-organise the files themselves accordingly (like : all of Dorothy L. Sayers together, regardless of format. or, all mobi format together in one directory).
- possibility to add tags / comments of your own (like : to read, read, first of series, etc.)
- possibility to add books manually to create a "wish-list" of books you don't have, with meta-date (isbn) completed automatically perhaps, and tags and comments ("recommended by...")

...for starters. if that's possible, of course !!!

Calibre does most of this. However it doesn't support/read ALL formats meta data. Perhaps rather than writing a whole new app you could work with Kovid. He does accept patches. I think someone right now is trying to add IMP support to it. Also, Kovid has mentioned setting up the ablity to add format/conversion support by pointing to external programs... so for example all the mobiperl scripts could be supported.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:23 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ah, it looks like you can get a text file listing from here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebo...tlist&type=txt . Once again it is ALL the books in all formats. However, I don't see anything like CSV, XML or other well deliniated method.
Most of the lines have the form AUTHOR: TITLE (FORMAT). Only 259, out of 6003, entries have no ":" (although not all the rest necessarily have a ":" after the author). The posting guidelines actually say that the message subject should be of the form:
Quote:
Author_surname, Author_firstname (or initials): Book_title. Version. Posting Date
So this is where the text entry conformity comes from.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!, puppy!