Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 11-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #31
Faterson
pokrıvač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrover View Post
Thanks, again. Is there a way to remove the black border around the reading pane on the ipad?

I assure you there is no black border, ldrover. Like Kris explained, App Store probably messed up and sent you the old iPhone version to your iPad!

I believe this may also be happening to DuskyRose: perhaps s/he, too, installed the old iPhone version on the iPad, and that's why the system fonts are huge?

The new universal Marvin version looks 100% the same nice as the good old trusted Marvin version, so if you see anything suspicious on your device, App Store probably messed up and it sent you the old iPhone version to your iPad, instead of the new universal version.

This issue should go away on its own within a few hours or days at most, so when you re-download Marvin the next time around from App Store, you should receive exactly what you ordered.

PS: ninja'd by Kris
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #32
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
It seems that in some cases, the App Store is sending the iPhone version to iPads (black border around everything).
Does the Iphone version have a separate update number?

Maybe that's what I have.

What update number do we look for?
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #33
ldrover
Connoisseur
ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I assure you there is no black border, ldrover. Like Kris explained, App Store probably messed up and sent you the old iPhone version to your iPad!

I believe this may also be happening to DuskyRose: perhaps s/he, too, installed the old iPhone version on the iPad, and that's why the system fonts are huge?

The new universal Marvin version looks 100% the same nice as the good old trusted Marvin version, so if you see anything suspicious on your device, App Store probably messed up and it sent you the old iPhone version to your iPad, instead of the new universal version.

This issue should go away on its own within a few hours or days at most, so when you re-download Marvin the next time around from App Store, you should receive exactly what you ordered.

PS: ninja'd by Kris
That's encouraging. I have already deleted what I thought was the correct version. Perphaps I will wait a day or so before trying again. Thanks.
ldrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #34
Faterson
pokrıvač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireland View Post
Am I right in assuming that downloading the last iPhone version onto my iPads will then update and all will be well? Thanks in advance!

So, my closing question remains the same.
Here is what you need to do:

1) install the new universal Marvin version on your iPad. You will now have 2 Marvins on your iPad.

2) Using Marvin's backup & restore feature (see here), send your Library from old Marvin to new Marvin.

3) That's it. You can delete the old Marvin from your iPad then.

You can't install the new universal (formerly "iPhone") Marvin version over the old ("iPad") version. You can't skip the manual step 2 above, but you can get it done with a few taps in no time at all. It's very easy to do. If anything is unclear, just ask here.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #35
fireland
fireland began at the beginning.

Device: iPad3, iPad mini, iPhone 4S
Thanks Faterson. You say:

1) install the new universal Marvin version on your iPad. You will now have 2 Marvins on your iPad.

That´s just what I can´t do. It´s showing the new version as Downloaded and won´t let me download again. But I haven´t downloaded the new iPad version.

Any suggestons? If not, I guess I´ll have to delete the existing version, losing my library, redownload and try to find all my downloaded books again. That´s a royal pain.

Last edited by fireland; 11-21-2013 at 04:10 PM.
fireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #36
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
fireland, if you purchased the universal version once, you can download it as often as you want - especially at this time while it's being *free*.

So, first of all, do a backup in your current Marvin installation:
http://blog.marvinapp.com/post/64407495557

Next, delete Marvin. (Yes, do it!)

Then either search for "Marvin - eBook reader for epub" in the AppStore or follow this link to it:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/marv...1209?ls=1&mt=8

Install it.

Restore your backup: http://blog.marvinapp.com/post/64407495557

-> Read happily ever after.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #37
Faterson
pokrıvač škridiel

Don't delete your existing library without backing up first, Fireland. Remember, you have the backup feature in your Marvin. At the very least, before deleting anything, perform a full backup of your Marvin. It will back up everything for you: all your books, all your settings at the touch of a button. See here: http://blog.marvinapp.com/post/67661991764

But I'm sure this can be resolved without you deleting anything. App Store is definitely acting up right now. For example, it took 6 attempts (!) for me to update my original Marvin version. The first 5 attempts, App Store just sent me an error message, "Unable to download the app at this moment."

Please search through your iPad using the spotlight search. Maybe you will find the two Marvins! iOS may have put the new Marvin's icon in an empty space on one of your secondary iPad home screens, where you can't readily see it.

DuskyRose, the new Marvin version is 2.4 (on all devices).

PS: ninja'd by Wulf.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #38
Faterson
pokrıvač škridiel

Lightbulb

Quote:
Please search through your iPad using the spotlight search. Maybe you will find the two Marvins! iOS may have put the new Marvin's icon in an empty space on one of your secondary iPad home screens, where you can't readily see it.

This can happen especially if you have "download apps automatically" enabled in your iPad settings. If you buy a universal app on your iPhone (not just Marvin, any universal app), then your iPad will automatically download that app, too, without notifying you.

So, I think what could have happened is that your iPad automatically downloaded the new universal Marvin for you. That's why it says, "Downloaded". iOS probably stuck the new Marvin's icon in the first empty space on one of your iPad home screens. Look through your home screens carefully, and I think you will find the new Marvin on one of them. Or, use the spotlight search, and two Marvins should pop up among your search results.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #39
taguntumi
taguntumi can differentiate black from dark navy bluetaguntumi can differentiate black from dark navy bluetaguntumi can differentiate black from dark navy bluetaguntumi can differentiate black from dark navy bluetaguntumi can differentiate black from dark navy bluetaguntumi can differentiate black from dark navy bluetaguntumi can differentiate black from dark navy bluetaguntumi can differentiate black from dark navy bluetaguntumi can differentiate black from dark navy bluetaguntumi can differentiate black from dark navy bluetaguntumi can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPad/iPhone
When I installed the Universal version on the iPad it initially opened as an iPhone app but returning to the app store and updating (even though I had just installed) solved it.

Working fine now.

Ian
taguntumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #40
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@taguntumi - Yes. Exactly the same thing happened to me. I've never seen this happen.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #41
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Note: I've moved the cloud discussion to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=227595 to keep this thread "clean".
Old 11-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #42
fireland
fireland began at the beginning.

Device: iPad3, iPad mini, iPhone 4S
Philantrop and Faterson,

Thanks so much for responding!

I haven´t purchased and/or downloaded the universal iPad app.
It only became available a short while ago. I received the
2.4 update today for the iPad only version.

Also received the iPhone update to 2.4 which I believe is
the new universal version.

I never downloaded the new iPad version, but the app store is
saying that it is downloaded.

As to searching for another version of Marvin, there is none.
I just looked through everything. Besides, as I said, I never
downloaded the new version because it won´t allow me to.

I know that once an app is downloaded/purchased it can be
re-downloaded. However, the universal Marvin app was never
downloaded, so that´s not an option.

At any rate, I will do the backup as you recommended, then
delete and see if I can restore correctly.

In the meantime, if someone has a downloadable solution,
please chime in.

By the way, my iPhone, iPad, and iPad mini are all showing that they are
version 2.4. Would that be the universal app version?

Again, many thanks for your time!
fireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #43
Faterson
pokrıvač škridiel

Lightbulb

Quote:
I haven´t purchased and/or downloaded the universal iPad app.
You have: on your iPhone! See, "universal iPad app" doesn't exist. Only one "universal app" exists now. If I buy a universal app on iPhone, it will automatically pop up on my iPad, too. You admit you downloaded the universal app to your iPhone, right? So! App Store may then have sent the universal app to your iPad, too, automatically. I'm certain that's why it says "Downloaded" for you. If it says "Downloaded" for you, but the second Marvin still isn't on your iPad... well, then it's an App Store/iOS bug, and you will need to proceed as suggested by Wulf.

Quote:
By the way, my iPhone, iPad, and iPad mini are all showing that they are version 2.4. Would that be the universal app version?
There is no way to tell, as far as I'm aware. Version 2.4 looks exactly the same (one last time!) for Marvin Universal and Marvin for iPad.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #44
Philantrop
Addict

Quote:
As to searching for another version of Marvin, there is none. I just looked through everything. Besides, as I said, I never
downloaded the new version because it won´t allow me to.
Did you follow the direct AppStore link I gave you from your device?
Does that app show the title I gave you?
Does that app say it's already downloaded?

Quote:
In the meantime, if someone has a downloadable solution, please chime in.
There's direct link in my earlier post. Doesn't it work for you?

Quote:
By the way, my iPhone, iPad, and iPad mini are all showing that they areversion 2.4. Would that be the universal app version?
All app variants are version 2.4 as stated earlier in this thread.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #45
Faterson
pokrıvač škridiel

Lightbulb

Quote:
There is no way to tell, as far as I'm aware. Version 2.4 looks exactly the same (one last time!) for Marvin Universal and Marvin for iPad.

I'm going to correct myself: if you have version 2.4 on your iPhone, it's definitely the universal version. Because no other version exists. (And that's why App Store apparently at least attempted to send the universal version automatically to your iPad as well.)

On your iPad, telling the two Marvins apart is easy, actually, despite them being identical. If your Library in Marvin 2.4 on iPad is initially empty, that's the new iPad Universal. If your Library in Marvin 2.4 on iPad is populated with books, it's the old Marvin for iPad, and you should perform the migration: http://blog.marvinapp.com/post/67661991764