Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Customizable Toolbars yes/no?

I've started working in integrating a new BookView (BV) editor this weekend. I have a proof of concept working so this is going to happen. There is still quite a bit of work to get it fully integrated but before I get too far into it I want to get some community feedback on the toolbars in particular.

A bit of background on the new editor. It's powered by CKEditor (CKE). One of the reasons I decided on it because it has HTML5 support (will be necessary for EPUB 3). TinyMCE was the other major contender but TinyMCE had serious performance issues.

Due to the design of CKE I will be including it in Sigil as files in the installation directory instead of embedding it in the executable. This the same as how dictionaries and translation files are currently distributed. With that in mind CKE has a configuration file which allows for customizing the look and behavior of the component to a great extent.

Sigil currently has a set of tool bars for changing the formatting in BV. CKE provides its own toolbars for this very same purpose. I can remove CKE's and hook the toolbars from the ain window into CKE. This isn't difficult but it will be more work to do this. The alternative is to remove the formatting toolbars form the main window and use CKE's. This is easier but detracts from the overall look of the application. FYI, I have no intention of making the formatting toolbars work in CodeView (CV) in the future.

Now back to that configuration file CKE has. It allows you to specify toolbars! You specify what you want and where you want them. What I can do is have a default config file in the installation folder and allow for user configuration files that would override the global one. Just like we do with dictionaries. I haven't looked into what else CKE allows to be configured via the config file but I'm sure there are other things it allows.

So, what do you think? Keep the current toolbar or use the CKE toolbar?
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I am not married to the current toolbar, I have customized it to my use patterns (see image).

What I would like is to hide or at least remove the Icons that hog screen space.

Personally, if I had the ability to choose which appear on the right-click menu, I could lose most of them from the toolbar (just about anything that affects the Text. Alignment, font style, Selected heading, Indent (blockquote) are right click candidates .
The reason for my bar locations is Short Mouse arrow throws
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MySigil.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	83738  
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2012, 03:10 AM   #3
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Go ahead with the CKE toolbar.

Thank you John!
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Looks fine John, although I hardly use the BookView. One thing which I personally would like to have is a dropdown box with all the styles I have.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
CKE looks good and more powerful than what we have - especially for only BV users, would we also be able to customise the styles dropdown box?
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2012, 07:06 AM   #6
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Sigil currently has a set of tool bars for changing the formatting in BV.
Since editing in BV is a bit "adventurous", i barely use them.

Things may change if a new BV is implemented. Customizable toolbars of the new BV would be nice.
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
If you are going to use CKE, then it makes sense to use its toolbars.

If the editing buttons only apply to BV, then it might not hurt the look of the application much if at all - it just puts the buttons on the BV window and no longer shows greyed out buttons for CV. And in split view it makes it clearer that the buttons are only for BV.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Go for the CKE toolbars. People have described how different their workflows are, so having configurable toolbars makes sense.

Also thank you for changing the bookview editor. It has so many odd quirks none of which have endeared themselves to me. It is time for a new set of quirks! (grin)

I notice that plug ins are supported by this editor. I don't know how I would use any of those listed, but will they be available in Sigil if one of them seems to be useful?
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I can't honestly say whether I've ever even clicked a button on the Book View toolbar before.

But I say, if you can offer toolbar customization with no loss of stability/performance, then certainly go with CKE.

But you probably need more input from those who live in Book View.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #10
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I've never liked webcrap in apps. Using CKEditor in IPB makes me absolutely hate IPB. I know many users of IPB forums that just disable js and post in direct html to avoid it.

It's also the BookView, something which you said you didn't want to really focus on or try to make feature complete. But then again, it's not my time and you should feel free to do whatever you feel comfy with
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #11
Zeypxi
Zeypxi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Not using a lot BV, in fact only to quickly check the result of my coding. However I wouldn't say no to that "Insert Link" toolbar icon!
Zeypxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Must say...

I only use BV to do a quick check on any fast stuff I've done in the last-minute tweaking...I never use it myself, I live in CV. With regard to Toxaris' suggestion vis-a-vis a styles dropdown, I don't see how that could work unless this gets turned into Jutoh; it already has header styles and "normal," and anything after that--at least for me--starts to require custom lists thereof, and can't really be applied in BV, anyway (unless we're going to apply "styles" like they do in Word or Jutoh...but that gets me back to "I hate that idea.") If we're going to have applicable styles (or coding with opening and closing tags of any kind, above and beyond what's already there), I'd just as soon have something more like NoteTab Pro's usage and less like Jutoh, FWIW; wherein we could create customized clips which apply the styles we create; dock the clips to the editor...now, that might be useful. Of course--again, I'm talking CV, not BV.

Not sure that helps...

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:22 AM   #13
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I agree. I spent 95% of my time in CodeView. However, I can imagine people wanting to have that style dropbox. I personally would not care.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #14
Laurencej
Laurencej began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
My vote: "use the CKE toolbar." And drop or hide the other.
Laurencej is offline   Reply With Quote