Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-18-2015, 02:41 PM   #1
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Goodreads integration on UK Kindles?

Did this ever appear?
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:53 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No. It's currently only available to people in the U.S.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2015, 02:17 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
thankfully

i have yet to figure the benefits of a site where most books have 1500+ reviews which always average out to somewhere in the 3.5-4.5 zone.

I do look at it occasionally via my Fire tablet, but unless you want to be active in its social media zones , I just don't get it.
For a potential book purchase, I find amazon's own book review statistics much more useful , even allowing for fake reviews and other manipulative tricks
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:05 AM   #4
NuclearWinter
Enthusiast
NuclearWinter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle PW2, iPad Mini, Nexus 6
The UK got Goodreads integration with the 5.6.5 firmware.
NuclearWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:15 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearWinter View Post
The UK got Goodreads integration with the 5.6.5 firmware.
Quite a few firmware versions have supported Goodreads. It's not an issue of firmware support, but of Amazon rolling it out to UK customers (and those in other countries) at their end, which they have said will be done "over the coming weeks". A given firmware version is the same in all countries, but what features the user actually sees depends on what's enabled for that user account by Amazon.
Advert
Old 09-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #6
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
I prefer to be able to get rid of the goodread bloatware.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:46 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No way to get rid of it. It's part of the firmware.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:14 PM   #8
Berzelius
Connoisseur
Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle Paperwhite 2 & Sony PRS-T1
According to posts on the UK Amazon Kindle forum, even with Ver 5.6.5, you may need to deregister then reregister your Kindle to get the Goodreads icon. I haven't tried it myself yet as I find accessing it on my PC more useful.

Last edited by Berzelius; 09-10-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Berzelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:15 PM   #9
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzelius View Post
According to posts on the UK Amazon Kindle forum, even with Ver 5.6.5, you may need to deregister then reregister your Kindle to get the Goodreads icon. I haven't tried it myself yet as I find accessing it on my PC more useful.

Deregistering then re-registering worked, thanks
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:32 PM   #10
NuclearWinter
Enthusiast
NuclearWinter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle PW2, iPad Mini, Nexus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quite a few firmware versions have supported Goodreads. It's not an issue of firmware support, but of Amazon rolling it out to UK customers (and those in other countries) at their end, which they have said will be done "over the coming weeks". A given firmware version is the same in all countries, but what features the user actually sees depends on what's enabled for that user account by Amazon.
Ah, ok. I noticed it on my own Kindle (UK) and assumed it was part of the firmware update.
NuclearWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:45 AM   #11
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
Definitely available in the UK now, I'm using it on my Voyage. As above I needed to deregister then reregister the device to get it. No idea why it didnt appear on its own.
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:07 AM   #12
rowanmoor
rowanmoor can extract oil from cheeserowanmoor can extract oil from cheeserowanmoor can extract oil from cheeserowanmoor can extract oil from cheeserowanmoor can extract oil from cheeserowanmoor can extract oil from cheeserowanmoor can extract oil from cheeserowanmoor can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
This is probably a silly question, but if I deregister and then reregister my voyage to kick the goodreads integration into working, then what happens to the books currently on there? Does it redownload them automatically? Or does it leave them on the kindle and then relink/authorise them so I can open them?

I have a subset of the books that are in my account (a mix of amazon purchased and PDOCs) on my kindle. Will it re-download all of the books in my account leaving me to re-delete the ones I don't want on that kindle, or will it remember what selection was on there? Or will I have to re-download the ones I want?

As most of the books I am reading at the moment are PDOCS I emailed from calibre, I don't think the goodreads integration will add anything for me at the moment so I don't want to create a load of work for myself to get it working, but it would have occasional use for the Amazon purchased ones if it doesn't cause me hassle.
rowanmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:10 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowanmoor View Post
This is probably a silly question, but if I deregister and then reregister my voyage to kick the goodreads integration into working, then what happens to the books currently on there? Does it redownload them automatically? Or does it leave them on the kindle and then relink/authorise them so I can open them?
Nothing happens to them. You won't be able to read books with DRM while your Kindle is unregistered, but you will as soon as you register it again. Nothing gets deleted.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:13 AM   #14
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
The only think you will need to do is to sync the collections back from the cloud ( books will go back into their collections again automatically) and then 'Star' any collections that you want visible in all views again
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:24 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmonster View Post
The only think you will need to do is to sync the collections back from the cloud ( books will go back into their collections again automatically) and then 'Star' any collections that you want visible in all views again
Good point, Rob. Not using collections myself, I forgot about that!