Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Exclamation Wi-Fi Only Samsung Galaxy Tab

Just got this link from robertc88

http://free-pc-guides.com/news/wi-fi...-q1-2011-08136
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I hate it when manufacturers announce products without prices and ship dates.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Since Verizon and Sprint have both dropped the price of the no-contract GTs to $499, we know it has to be less than that.

Otherwise just get a CDMA one without the data plan. And they're available today!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
should have done this right from the start.
if they did a 3G at $499 ala carte and a $399 wifi only
this would have been huge here in the States.

I hope Samsung doesn't drag their feet with updates like they do on their phones.
Would hate to be an early adopter and not have it be able to be upgraded to 3.0 via an OTA update.

Last edited by boswd; 01-19-2011 at 01:39 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
should have done this right from the start.
if they did a 3G at $499 ala carte and a $399 wifi only
this one have been huge here in the States.

I hope Samsung doesn't drag their feet with updates like they do on their phones.
Would hate to be an early adopter and not have it be able to be upgraded to 3.0 via an OTA update.
Yes, I probably would've jumped on a $399 WiFi only. A year ago I paid the same price for a Sony 900.

Last edited by SCION; 01-19-2011 at 01:29 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I waited until I could get mine without a data plan. Costco has them for $499.99 and the data plan is month-to-month. Just cancel after the first month.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I waited until I could get mine without a data plan. Costco has them for $499.99 and the data plan is month-to-month. Just cancel after the first month.

They are also $499 (no contract) at the Sprint and VZW stores and websites, so the only advantage to getting them from Costco is they pick up the activation fee, instant gratification, and of course Costco's most excellent support.

Now if you want the Sprint vesion with the white back, well ...

My problem is that my son needed a laptop more than I needed a tablet, so my GT bucks went to him instead. Guess I'll be waiting a little longer!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
My problem is that my son needed a laptop more than I needed a tablet, so my GT bucks went to him instead. Guess I'll be waiting a little longer!
That's a good father!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Honestly, this excites me along....except for one thing. Android 3.0 is coming, and it's going to smoke everything out there. So why bother getting this now when it'll be worthless by the middle of the year? I'm gonna wait until the first Android 3.0 devices come out, and then I'm gonna grab one of those. But if that falls through, I may fall back on one of these.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Honestly, this excites me along....except for one thing. Android 3.0 is coming, and it's going to smoke everything out there. So why bother getting this now when it'll be worthless by the middle of the year? I'm gonna wait until the first Android 3.0 devices come out, and then I'm gonna grab one of those. But if that falls through, I may fall back on one of these.
That makes total sense.

However, I would like to add that if you are planning to wait, maybe you will have to wait much more. The Os release is just the initial part of the overall upgrade process for an Operating System like Android or even Microsoft. We will have to give additional time for the Android Market to get refresh. Most current applications have been written for Froyo.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
T-Mobile says Dell™ Streak™ 7:
Quote:
Fun, fast, and amazingly priced,
The might be released Feb 2nd. I don't necessarily think this is better than the Tab, but price pressure is building.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #12
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
That makes total sense.

However, I would like to add that if you are planning to wait, maybe you will have to wait much more. The Os release is just the initial part of the overall upgrade process for an Operating System like Android or even Microsoft. We will have to give additional time for the Android Market to get refresh. Most current applications have been written for Froyo.
Meh, that's fine with me. I'm in no hurry.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #13
bugeyed
Connoisseur
bugeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 2, PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
I love it when people make statements like "So why bother getting this now when it'll be worthless by the middle of the year?", as if the thing will stop working when a new model comes out. Why not wait 2 or 3 years & get whatever is new then, 'cause the Android 3.0 devices will be useless when Android xx arrives. Makes no sense to me! I am having too much fun playing with my rooted Nook Color. We should be seeing Froyo for it soon & I hope I can get some quality time with it before it becomes "worthless".

Cheers,
kev
bugeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:36 PM   #14
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeyed View Post
I love it when people make statements like "So why bother getting this now when it'll be worthless by the middle of the year?", as if the thing will stop working when a new model comes out. Why not wait 2 or 3 years & get whatever is new then, 'cause the Android 3.0 devices will be useless when Android xx arrives. Makes no sense to me! I am having too much fun playing with my rooted Nook Color. We should be seeing Froyo for it soon & I hope I can get some quality time with it before it becomes "worthless".

Cheers,
kev
Exactly.

They'll always be something newer/fresher/hotter, and unless you have more money than God, you're never going to be able to keep up-- so you can just enjoy it while you have it.
Technology is changing faster than the speed of light (practically), and your device will most certainly always be trumped by something else sooner rather than later.
The way I look at it is, if it still does everything I wanted it to when I bought it, then there's no real reason to upgrade or lust after something else.

It's almost like buying a car. It still drives doesn't it? You don't trade it in when the new model comes out every fall, do you?

Most changes are superficial for the most part anyway. Slimmer, lighter, prettier screen, etc.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:28 AM   #15
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeyed View Post
Well, if you think something better is around the corner and will be offered at comparable price, it makes sense to wait. I say that even as someone who can afford to upgrade devices fairly frequently. Tablets are still in relatively early development, so it makes even more sense to wait if you're watching your money.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote