Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
glazwegian
glazwegian is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Color, Sony PRS-350(silver)
PRS 650 backordered till March 2011

Well, I'd been going back and forth between the 350 and 650. I finally decided I'd shell out the extra $80.00 for the 6" screen, expandable memory and sexy black body of the 650, but lo and behold......the 650 is backordered till March 7, 2011(approx.) on SonyStyle.

What the %#@*!# is Sony doing??? This is THE PRIME buying time of the year, everyone tells me the software sucks, it's overpriced, has no wi-fi(a good thing as far as I'm concerned), no user replaceable battery, ya da ya da ya da and I still can't buy one!!

However, they must be doing something right.....or they're the biggest screwups ever. For the life of me, I don't know which it is.
glazwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
OddsRatio
OddsRatio began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-950
An extra 10 bucks should get you a 950 pre-order at Borders, there's another thread around here where people have successfully had Sony pricematch for 239.

Best Buy's another option for the 650, as they tend to have these in stock at their stores and depending where you live, the brick&mortar Sony Style should have them as well. BTW- where does it say they are on backorder until March?

Last edited by OddsRatio; 12-16-2010 at 09:36 PM.
OddsRatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
If the 650 really is backordered, then I have to echo this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazwegian View Post
What the %#@*!# is Sony doing???
I think this is also the case overseas, but I really wish Sony Australia would do a better job of marketing their ereaders here. Even if it's seemingly overpriced, hell, Aussies are used to overpaying for gadgets, and I'm pretty sure the *50s would sell like hotcakes here if they were better known. The *50s need some sort of extensive marketing programme, even if it's like the bizarre commercials Sony used to and still does for the Playstation. Too late for Christmas, more's the pity.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
glazwegian

Thanks Odds, but I've seen the 950 in person and find it too big for me(which is why I'll probably go ahead and buy the 350). Also, no BestBuy's around me stock the 650. In fact, I searched dealers on BestBuy's website and no 650's were to be had near me(N.E. OH), western PA, or northern WV.

Go to SonyStyle.com and search for readers. When the readers are listed, click on the 650's icon. The "add to cart" button shows it to be backordered. There is also some text that indicates an approximate shipping date of March 7, 2011.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:31 PM   #5
glazwegian

I just checked the SonyStyle site again and now the "add to cart" button just says: out of stock. There is also no mention of a delivery date. Maybe someone from Sony is monitoring this site and didn't think it was a good idea to post a delivery date of March 2011? They probably figured they weren't going to get too many orders if it's known you won't even receive the thing for 2-1/2, or more, months! There's too many other options in the super heated eReader market right now.

Keep in mind, this is the USA site I'm referring to.

Sony makes great hardware, but their software and marketing depts. sure don't seem to have a clue. And yeah, I'm old enough that I was a Betamax early adopter. Great marketing there, as well.

When am I going to learn?
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
jashsu
Connoisseur
jashsu doesn't litterjashsu doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, Oasis 2
Quote:
However, they must be doing something right.....or they're the biggest screwups ever. For the life of me, I don't know which it is.
I love the Readers and as you can see from my device list I have supported them almost since day one (wasn't hardcore enough to import a Librie), but at this point i'd have to lean toward the latter.

If you want one at this stage, your best bet is to scour brick and mortar authorized resellers. In the US, I can confirm that you can find them at Borders (bookstore retail chain) and Fry's Electronics.

http://www.borders.com/online/store/...u=027242805149

http://www.frys.com/product/6388381?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Good luck.
jashsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:34 PM   #7
mrkapawutzis
Enthusiast
mrkapawutzis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:

What the %#@*!# is Sony doing??? This is THE PRIME buying time of the year, everyone tells me the software sucks, it's overpriced, has no wi-fi(a good thing as far as I'm concerned), no user replaceable battery, ya da ya da ya da and I still can't buy one!!
I think its pretty much understood that for whatever reasons the Sony Reader team has their head up their collective ass. They're letting a good opportunity pass them by and your experience trying to buy one just cements that point. If I'm not mistaken they are also supposed to be having a sale on them as well (the weekly flyer listed all of them at discounted prices but the website only lists the Pocket as being on sale)
mrkapawutzis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:54 PM   #8
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Agreed -- try local Borders stores
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:32 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Maybe the 650 sold out because of the plug given by Martha Stewart.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:15 AM   #10
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
It's either or:

1) They sell much more than anticipated (good news)
2) Amazon sells so much more than anticipated, that Sony doesn't get enough screens (very bad news)
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:24 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm going for #1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:35 AM   #12
PrincessV
PrincessV is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony 650, Nook 1st Edition, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashsu View Post
I love the Readers and as you can see from my device list I have supported them almost since day one (wasn't hardcore enough to import a Librie), but at this point i'd have to lean toward the latter.

If you want one at this stage, your best bet is to scour brick and mortar authorized resellers. In the US, I can confirm that you can find them at Borders (bookstore retail chain) and Fry's Electronics.

http://www.borders.com/online/store/...u=027242805149

http://www.frys.com/product/6388381?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Good luck.

Just thought I'd add that Border's On-Line, list both the Black & Red Sony 650 for $219. I added each in a the cart & it said "usually ships in 24 hours". However, I didn't complete the purchase, so I can't guarantee all is true.
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:11 AM   #13
jashsu
Connoisseur
jashsu doesn't litterjashsu doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, Oasis 2
For those who want to buy in person, here's the printable coupon to take $10 off any eReader at Borders brick & mortar:

http://www.bordersmedia.com/coup/10eread20101214.html

Current expiry 12/21.
jashsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:22 AM   #14
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Underneath the "out of stock" button there is a link to Find online or In-store. Even if you find it in a brick and mortar store, I'm sure they'll take over the phone orders and ship it to you.

Last edited by SolRaven; 12-19-2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: *over the phone not online
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:01 AM   #15
fluffmuffin
fluffmuffin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I've had a PRS-350, but decided I wanted a bit larger screen to read from. So I returned that, and began a week long search for the PRS-650. Much like everyone here has been saying, they are almost impossible to find in the US. I saw the link to Borders that someone posted, and tried there. And as was mentioned, they do not explicitly say it is available, but I took the chance to see if I could get one. I placed the order on Thursday of last week. On Friday morning, I received a shipment notification. It is scheduled for delivery on Monday via FedEx.

So, if folks are wondering whether Borders will ship or not.....I was one of the fortunate ones.
fluffmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote