Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-06-2009, 05:49 AM   #16
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryPigg View Post
As I've ranted on in various places about the unjustifiably high price of ebooks, I was suitably heartened to find that my own publisher, Friday Books (an imprint of Harper Collins) is selling it in the short term for 78p.
At that price, even with my current backlog, it's too good to miss. Bought and downloaded. Read the first few pages. It looks like just my kind of thing. Thanks!

£6.99 paperback. £0.78 ebook. And from Harper Collins! Still DRMed, but luckily with ePubs....

Hate the lack of a cover on the ePUB.

The 0.97/0.78 price is obviously a promotion. Hopefully they won't price it back up to £6.99 when it ends.

Congratulations on getting published!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:49 AM   #17
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
I don't know how many of you guys use Shelfari, but I added the book there, with the cover and other info.
What's your user name? (mine is Ea C) There's a mobileread group, though not much happens.

Book looks good, so it's on my reading list now
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:25 AM   #18
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
At that price, even with my current backlog, it's too good to miss. Bought and downloaded. Read the first few pages. It looks like just my kind of thing. Thanks!

£6.99 paperback. £0.78 ebook. And from Harper Collins! Still DRMed, but luckily with ePubs....

Hate the lack of a cover on the ePUB.

The 0.97/0.78 price is obviously a promotion. Hopefully they won't price it back up to £6.99 when it ends.

Congratulations on getting published!
i agree !! i downloaded the cover image from the waterstone's page and added it myself. before the cover, the file showed up as a black page, so presumably there is already an image in there. why they wouldn't use the image *of the actual cover* is just beyond me.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:20 AM   #19
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
okay, thanks. i got 2 points for buying this book, but my credit balance says 0 all the way across, so i guess i don't even have a single pence of credit to my name yet. 2037 sounds about right.
I think it takes 24 hour to appear on your balance - that is a fairly standard thing for Point cards. You earn the points in a store and it is on their system. There is then an overnight task to upload the points to the central database.

When you spend points, this is automatically deducted from the central database (so you can't spend more than you have!)

This is an assumption based on how a Loyalty Scheme worked in my old job...
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:53 AM   #20
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
On shelfari, I changed it to be Hellmark too, and joined the mobileread group.

I dunno what, I guess the magic DRM fairy took pity on me, and poof, last night the DRM just disappeared. I don't know how that happened at all.....

I'm in the middle of the Dark Tower Series, but it is the next in my queue. Everything about the book, and what I saw of it, looks great.

Last edited by Hellmark; 08-06-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:14 AM   #21
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
i agree !! i downloaded the cover image from the waterstone's page and added it myself. before the cover, the file showed up as a black page, so presumably there is already an image in there. why they wouldn't use the image *of the actual cover* is just beyond me.
Seems you get the 'black cover' when you strip the DRM. Otherwise you get a rather nondescript blue bordered with text cover in Adobe Digital Editions, at least its been that way with all my purchases from Waterstones so far. I do the same as you, add a nice cover once I've taken off the DRM
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #22
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Thanks for the ("Shamless" ) heads up Bob Good for you!

I have some points with Waterstones so I grabbed my copy right away. I shall enjoy reading it I am sure!

I guess all us Brits hope that this will be a sign that we may start to get some of the "bargain priced" offerings as the Sony ebook store.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #23
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Thanks for the ("Shamless" ) heads up Bob Good for you!

I have some points with Waterstones so I grabbed my copy right away. I shall enjoy reading it I am sure!

I guess all us Brits hope that this will be a sign that we may start to get some of the "bargain priced" offerings as the Sony ebook store.
I'm crossing my fingers for that too. At £6 I really have to want the book, but anything below £1 and I'll buy it on spec, cheaper than a bottle of coke and much better for you
Old 08-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #24
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
I think it takes 24 hour to appear on your balance - that is a fairly standard thing for Point cards. You earn the points in a store and it is on their system. There is then an overnight task to upload the points to the central database.

When you spend points, this is automatically deducted from the central database (so you can't spend more than you have!)

This is an assumption based on how a Loyalty Scheme worked in my old job...
ha okay, thanks ! i'll go check and see if they are there (only 2036.9 years to go before i'll have enough to spend them ! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Seems you get the 'black cover' when you strip the DRM. Otherwise you get a rather nondescript blue bordered with text cover in Adobe Digital Editions, at least its been that way with all my purchases from Waterstones so far. I do the same as you, add a nice cover once I've taken off the DRM
hm, interesting. sneaky buggers, aren't they ? i wonder if it's something like tearing off the covers of books which are being returned, so everyone will know they are illegal to sell. although if the cover is nondescript i guess i'm not losing much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
not just you brits. we french are hoping to see some better priced books here as well !
Old 08-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #25
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
I'm crossing my fingers for that too. At £6 I really have to want the book, but anything below £1 and I'll buy it on spec, cheaper than a bottle of coke and much better for you
that's how i feel too.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #26
zelda_pinwheel

woo hoo !

"As at 06 August 09, 2:15pm, you have £0.02 to redeem."

Old 08-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #27
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
woo hoo !

"As at 06 August 09, 2:15pm, you have £0.02 to redeem."

How many Euros is that
Old 08-06-2009, 09:36 AM   #28
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
How many Euros is that
i'm guessing less than 0.1.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #29
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
i'm guessing less than 0.1.
I wish we had Euros in the UK. I can't stand looking at the Queen's face all the time
Old 08-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #30
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
I wish we had Euros in the UK. I can't stand looking at the Queen's face all the time
i wish we still had francs in france. i loved looking at St. Exupéry and the little prince, cézanne, the curies... and the 5 coin with the view of the eiffel tower from below, it was brilliant. i still have one which i saved, but it's not the same as having them kicking around your coinpurse.