Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #1156
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledeze View Post
Hello,

I believe that I carefully followed instructions. I still get a greyed out option 'Update your kindle' even after cleanup + restart. Even after complete reset.

I got my PW2 today from Kentucky to Belgium. The last 4 characters of the SN are '0GLD'.

Can you please help? Thanks in advance!!
Please provide the **FIRST** four characters.

- - - -

From Kentucky?
Then the first four are probably 9017 and you should be using the packages from NiLuJe's snapshot thread.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #1157
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ledeze: last != first .

We need the *first* 4 characters of the SN, not the last .

EDIT: And, guess what? I missed a new page, once again. .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-13-2014 at 03:22 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:12 PM   #1158
ledeze
ledeze began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I guess I am really out to lunch... The first 4 digits are 9017.

BTW, I had purchased 2 Kindles together that arrived today. The second one was untouched yet. So I turn it ON, set it up, and found out that the option to 'Update Your Kindle' is greyed out, out of the box, meaning without even attempting to jailbreak it. The SN also starts with 9017.

Is there something with this batch? Or Belgium??

Many thanks for your assistance!!
ledeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #1159
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It is always grayed out, unless there is an update on the device.

Just use the update from the snapshots.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:27 PM   #1160
thisbook
thisbook began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The device Jailbreak is not required to allow applications to "run" just to allow applications to be "installed".

Which means, remove the Jailbreak **after** running all other uninstall packages.
(I.E: you will probably have to re-install the device Jailbreak now, to run the other un-install packages.)

Note:
No one has ever reported a warranty refusal with our applications installed.
When exchanged by Amazon, they ship the replacement **before** receiving the return device.
I.E: They don't have a chance to see yours before they replace it, even if they had time to look (they don't).
Ohh, that makes sense. Thanks for your help
thisbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:16 AM   #1161
sisselpie
sisselpie began at the beginning.

I'm so sorry that i mistake the SN.
the SN is 9017 and the firmware is 5.4.5.1 .my kindle is bought in china。

I downgrade the fm to 5.4.3.2 and then use the packet in the snapshot .The "jailbreak" appears at the bottom of the screen .But when i tried to install KPVBooklet, the .bin file is deleted and the "Update Your Kindle" link stays grayed out.

so what should i do? is this kind of kindle's mechanism that it delete the .bin files copied in its root dir?

Last edited by sisselpie; 08-15-2014 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Jailbreak done. new problem come
sisselpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:29 AM   #1162
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisselpie View Post
I'm so sorry that i mistake the SN.
the SN is 9017 and the firmware is 5.4.5.1 .my kindle is bought in china。

I downgrade the fm to 5.4.3.2 and then use the packet in the snapshot .The "jailbreak" appears at the bottom of the screen .

But when i tried to install KPVBooklet, the .bin file is deleted and the "Update Your Kindle" link stays grayed out.

so what should i do?
Is this kind of kindle's mechanism that it delete the .bin files copied in its root dir?
The packages on NiLuJe's snapshot thread are re-packaged for device 9017 - use those packages.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030

Yes, it is a safety protection from installing a .bin file not intended for that model.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237083

Packages are both "model locked" and "digitally signed" -
Mis-match of model or bad signature - update file gets discarded.

Last edited by knc1; 08-15-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #1163
WorldofPain
WorldofPain began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW
Real quick clarification please:

After unzipping the kindle-5.4-jailbreak, there are 3 files in the folder: the .bin and 2 .sh files that read "bridge.sh" and "jb.sh"

Am I sappost to archive all 3 files or only the .bin????

Sorry if this question has already been answered but I couldn't find it in the 73 pages :/
WorldofPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:42 AM   #1164
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldofPain View Post
Real quick clarification please:

After unzipping the kindle-5.4-jailbreak, there are 3 files in the folder: the .bin and 2 .sh files that read "bridge.sh" and "jb.sh"

Am I sappost to archive all 3 files or only the .bin????

Sorry if this question has already been answered but I couldn't find it in the 73 pages :/
In the first post of this thread -
In the section with the large, red letters: "Install" -
Open the spoiler, read and follow the directions.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:42 AM   #1165
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@WorldofPain-
Sorry you read all 73 pages, you only needed to read the first post!
Yes, you place the contents of that zip file (all three files) into the root directory of your kindle...eject...restart via menu/settings/etc.

****I see I'm redundant once again...Good Morning @knc1 !!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:45 AM   #1166
knc1
Going Viral

oops -
another race for the "easy ones".
I'll type slower next time.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #1167
bgrant570
bgrant570 began at the beginning.

5.4.5.1 wiped out my screensavers

My paperwhite was JB for the screensaver hack and had been working perfectly until today. It automatically updaded to 5.4.5.1 and the screensavers are back to the old ones. A little help?
bgrant570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #1168
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Re-install the screensavers hack.

Updates wipe out all hacks. This is expected. The update contains a full system image of a vanilla firmware.

The jailbreak does not need to be re-installed.

All your settings will still be there.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-15-2014 at 03:21 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #1169
bgrant570
bgrant570 began at the beginning.

Awesome. It worked! Thanks a ton.
bgrant570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #1170
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrant570 View Post
My paperwhite was JB for the screensaver hack and had been working perfectly until today. It automatically updaded to 5.4.5.1 and the screensavers are back to the old ones. A little help?
Consider installing the "Backdoor Lock" also, will keep you from being surprised by 5.4.5.2
The Backdoor Lock does not require KUAL, but I recommend that you install KUAL (and its MKK requirement) -
KUAL makes a lot of things easier to control (screensavers, backdoor lock, etc).

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch