Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-22-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
coleoptera1
coleoptera1 began at the beginning.

Device: PE (ermine)
eInk display Question

Fellow Edgers -
I have a question about how the eInk side should behave. My basic concern is that it doesn't change pages quickly and smoothly. I have done some searches in the forums and haven't found where this has been discussed before.

I had my PE for about 12 hours before I updated to Ermine, so I don't really remember how it worked before; but I'm not really happy with what it is doing now. I'm wondering if this is something unique to my PE, a symptom of Ermine, or maybe just normal. If it's not normal, can it be "fixed"?

When I am reading a book and "turn the page" my screen goes through a series of "flashes" before the new page appears. The page I'm reading first flashes to an invert of itself (black screen with white text), then the new page shows up and flashes a few times, switching between the white screen/black text and black screen/white text, before settling down to the new page.

It's not a major issue, but I thought that eInk readers were much smoother than this, and I don't remember it doing this without ermine, but I didn't do a whole lot of testing of books, so maybe I'm wrong.

I'm used to reading using the Amazon Kindle App on the Android side, and that is very smooth, but I would prefer to read on the eInk side...it's the whole reason I got the PE.

As a follow-on question, several users have mentioned that they would be reading a book on the eInk side, and then when it got too dark they just switched it to the android side. How do you do this without losing your page? I'm using the PE Library to read on the eInk side and the switch to another piece of software to read on the Android side. I'm assuming there is a better way to be doing this?

Thank you!
coleoptera1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
I never seen this problem on my PE. Have you tried viewing another eBook or a long PDF? Try one of the included eBooks: Romeo and Juliet or 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Also, try changing the screen orientation of the LCD display by going into Settings, Display, and checking Screen Orientation which will cause the Edge to display the LCD screen on the left hand side (basically this turns the e-ink side upside down). Another suggestion: Using the default browser, try viewing a web page on the E-Reader in both ePub and PDF (image) to see if the problem persists.

Last edited by obsessed2; 06-22-2011 at 10:51 AM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Yes, that's too much flashing. Mine flashes to white on black and then quickly becomes the new page. A reboot might help.

As for reading on both sides, I wonder, too, if there's an easy way. You can have the book in an Android app as well as in the library and then just remember what page you're on and turn to it (easier in some apps than others). Another possibility to try is using a flashlight app on the LCD side to light your reading on the e-ink side. You have to hold the PE folded just enough to keep the light out of your eyes, but it is definitely doable!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
yugami
Connoisseur
yugami began at the beginning.

Device: PRS+950
Mine flashes quite a bit a as well. With my other issue I'm thinking of doing a FDA a factory reset and re upgrade
yugami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
coleoptera1
coleoptera1 began at the beginning.

Device: PE (ermine)
Thank you for your responses. I have rebooted a few times, and this happens on all items on the eink screen, the pre-loaded Romeo and Juliet, PDF's from work, and it really flashes when I have a load an internet page on it.

Anyone with Dingo, does your eInk page flash at all when you "turn pages"? If so, can you describe?

Thanks again!
coleoptera1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by coleoptera1 View Post
Thank you for your responses. I have rebooted a few times, and this happens on all items on the eink screen, the pre-loaded Romeo and Juliet, PDF's from work, and it really flashes when I have a load an internet page on it.

Anyone with Dingo, does your eInk page flash at all when you "turn pages"? If so, can you describe?

Thanks again!
There is a momentary flash when changing pages because the Edge has to clear the old image and replace it with a new one. Remember the e-ink displays a page even with the power turned off. This is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. I guess I just got so used to it that it is second nature now.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #7
yugami
Connoisseur
yugami began at the beginning.

Device: PRS+950
My edge flashes noticeably more than my wifes nook. I think that the tool bars are the main culprit visually.
yugami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:17 AM   #8
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Pacific Northwest (about 35 miles northeast of Seattle)
Device: K3 / HP 10" Tablet (FBreader Installed)
I do a lot of reading on my PE with Ermine and I don't have any problem with flashing, The page turnings are just as crisp as they are on my Kindle.

Last edited by Edward_R; 06-26-2011 at 12:17 AM. Reason: typo
Edward_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:13 AM   #9
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_R View Post
I do a lot of reading on my PE with Ermine and I don't have any problem with flashing, The page turnings are just as crisp as they are on my Kindle.
I second that, but for me the comparison is with a Sony PRS-900 and I think the eDGe turns pages faster than the Sony.

That doesn't help much, I know, since I have no solutions to offer.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #10
ManikMom
ManikMom began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
I just got my Edge and noticed the same problem with flashing. When I turn the page, I get a reverse image (white on black) of the new page and then it changes to black on white. This is my first e-ink reader so I didn't know if that was normal, but it appears that it isn't. This is bothersome enough to make me not want to read books on that side. It does it with both the User Guide and Romeo & Juliet. Seems not to be a problem for some people, so I wonder what's going on.
ManikMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManikMom View Post
I just got my Edge and noticed the same problem with flashing. When I turn the page, I get a reverse image (white on black) of the new page and then it changes to black on white. This is my first e-ink reader so I didn't know if that was normal, but it appears that it isn't. This is bothersome enough to make me not want to read books on that side. It does it with both the User Guide and Romeo & Juliet. Seems not to be a problem for some people, so I wonder what's going on.
That is normal for e-ink's, because of the way they work they need to refresh themselves at times(otherwise you will see ghosting and artifacts pop up). Most people aren't bothered by it, but I do know a few people that don't like it.
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManikMom View Post
...This is bothersome enough to make me not want to read books on that side...
Distracting at first, however, for me, after a very short while I now no longer notice it. YMMV.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
ManikMom
ManikMom began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Thanks, Gunner & Emusan. I checked out some youtube videos of the Kindle and saw that it does the same thing - I am just glad to know it is typical for e-ink and that I don't have a defective reader.
ManikMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #14
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: enTourage eDGe Pocket
Think of e-ink as like an etch-a-sketch.

First it has to draw the image. Then it has to turn itself upside down and shake itself like crazy to clear the image. Then it has to draw the new image.

It goes like this:

-All white
-Draw the page
<wait until it's time to go to the next page>
-Invert image
-All black
-All white
-Draw the page

This makes it look like it's flashing. I suppose that if any errors are encountered in the process then it redraws the same page a second time to make sure. I can see how this could be considered abnormal or unusual but really it's normal.
MasterTec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edge, eink, ermine, reading