Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Post Writing your own Review

Guten Tag allerseits!

For a long time now I have enjoyed browsing this community and reaping the rewards of having so many helpful members to call upon. I thought it only fitting and proper that at some point I at least make an attempt no matter how vain it might be, to try and give back. The only way I could think of, was asking you how I could help you, or more specifically what would you like to know. So what would you like to know? I would like to encourage everyone/anyone to please post any and all questions you might have about the Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition. I will do my very best to respond in a timely fashion.

-Abisha
Abisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I am not a Sony owner, however Karma to you for your helpful post.......

People like you are what makes this board outstanding.

Thank you.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Would you mind just a quick comment on whether you find it heavier (bulkier) than the 505? The 650 is lighter, so I was wondering if the 950 seems about the same?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I am not a Sony owner, however Karma to you for your helpful post.......

People like you are what makes this board outstanding.

Thank you.
Thank you desertgrandma for the show of kindness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Would you mind just a quick comment on whether you find it heavier (bulkier) than the 505? The 650 is lighter, so I was wondering if the 950 seems about the same?
I know this is going to sound weird, but the PRS-950 actually feels lighter than the 505. Though the device actually weighs 9.3 oz. compared to the Sony 505 weighing in at 9.0 oz. (According to my parents digital food scale.)

The PRS-950 is incredibly well balanced, the weight is near perfectly distributed, making the device feel lighter than the 505. It does not matter what orientation I place the device in - horizontal or vertical, the device is comfortable, balanced, and fits firmly and securely in my hands.

When you pick up the device, the first thing to flash through your mind is how light the device feels. The weight distribution is simply superb.

Last edited by Abisha; 10-26-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I would agree, it feels really nice to hold and the touch turning gives you flexibility as compared to dedicated buttons. The lightest feather swipe on the screen will turn the page. The bottom edge is also less sharp so it seems more comfortable if you tend to hold it by the bottom corner with a finger wrapped underneath.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
can anyone check if the sony prs 950 slows to a stand still when using a memory card thats over 8 gigs? thanx
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
Abisha
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksnoopy View Post
can anyone check if the sony prs 950 slows to a stand still when using a memory card thats over 8 gigs? thanx
I wish I could help you eriksnoopy. Alas, the largetst memory card I have available at the moment is 4GB.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksnoopy View Post
A few people have noted that the indexing of ebooks when inserting a memory card is much better on the 650. I suspect the improved indexing would also be there on the 950.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
Abisha
Connoisseur

I wanted to post a small update after my first hours using the device. Specifically I wanted to report about "Connectivity" which seems to be a hot button issue for many.

So what I've found, and I must say I'm a bit disappointed, is that a feature that I perhaps wrongly understood to be included in the 3G service - was access to "Google Books". I had thought that because Google Books was fully integrated into the Sony EbookStore that I would be able to download books directly to the reader. Sadly this is not the case. When you enter the Sony Bookstore using the 3G connection, a link near the top of the page changes to "Bundles". When you enter the Sony Bookstore using a WIFI connection the link near the top of the page changes to "Google Books".

Bottomline, as far as I can tell, the device is completely locked down to fetch ONLY Sony DRM'd Ebooks. I suspect perhaps to Adobe's Content servers. You MUST use WIFI if you wish to download any of the Public Domain titles from Google Books.

As for the WIFI connection itself. Well, the implementation is not very robust at all. I arrived on campus this morning, opened the web browser awaiting my Universities login page to load up. It was a complete disaster. Nothing but battery draining agony as I watched the device fail time and time again to connect to an open and unsecured 802.11g network.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #10
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abisha View Post
I wanted to post a small update after my first hours using the device. Specifically I wanted to report about "Connectivity" which seems to be a hot button issue for many.

So what I've found, and I must say I'm a bit disappointed, is that a feature that I perhaps wrongly understood to be included in the 3G service - was access to "Google Books". I had thought that because Google Books was fully integrated into the Sony EbookStore that I would be able to download books directly to the reader. Sadly this is not the case. When you enter the Sony Bookstore using the 3G connection, a link near the top of the page changes to "Bundles". When you enter the Sony Bookstore using a WIFI connection the link near the top of the page changes to "Google Books".

Bottomline, as far as I can tell, the device is completely locked down to fetch ONLY Sony DRM'd Ebooks. I suspect perhaps to Adobe's Content servers. You MUST use WIFI if you wish to download any of the Public Domain titles from Google Books.

As for the WIFI connection itself. Well, the implementation is not very robust at all. I arrived on campus this morning, opened the web browser awaiting my Universities login page to load up. It was a complete disaster. Nothing but battery draining agony as I watched the device fail time and time again to connect to an open and unsecured 802.11g network.
I've found the wifi to be very good, but the setup is a little less than automatic and maybe a little confusing. After selecting an access point I kept hitting "done" thinking that would start a connection without paying attention to the button for "connecting". My experience with Google Books has been the same, it doesn't appear it is accessible via 3g.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #11
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
thanks Abisha and grooks for the reply.
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #12
Abisha
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
I've found the wifi to be very good, but the setup is a little less than automatic and maybe a little confusing. After selecting an access point I kept hitting "done" thinking that would start a connection without paying attention to the button for "connecting". My experience with Google Books has been the same, it doesn't appear it is accessible via 3g.

I'm glad that you've had success with your connection Mr. Goodbar. I too have had a relatively easy time of configuring my personal router at home. Connecting to a wifi hotspot is a whole different matter. I've tried 3 separate wifi points on on Campus (All of which are unsecured 802.11g), the Reader displays "Invalid Configuration" when viewing "WIFI Network Settings". This is rather infuriating. The men and women who are willing to pay a premium for these features are academics and professionals who are on the move. Not being able to access a standard 802.11 wifi hotspot is dissapointing to say the least. To ensure that the wifi connection was not at fault, I removed from my bag, my two year old Mp3 player and was able to successfully connect. The network was not refusing connections.

Last edited by Abisha; 10-26-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #13
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abisha View Post
I'm glad that you've had success with your connection Mr. Goodbar. I too have had a relatively easy time of configuring my personal router at home. Connecting to a wifi hotspot is a whole different matter. I've tried 3 separate wifi points on on Campus (All of which are unsecured 802.11g), the Reader displays "Invalid Configuration" when viewing "WIFI Network Settings". This is rather infuriating. The men and women who are willing to pay a premium for these features are academics and professionals who are on the move. Not being able to access a standard 802.11 wifi hotspot is dissapointing to say the least. To ensure that the wifi connection was not at fault, I removed from my bag, my two year old Mp3 player and was able to successfully connect. The network was not refusing connections.
I do have one access point available to me from my current location that does not have security. I just tried connecting to it from the list of available networks and it connected within about 15 seconds just fine. I was able to browse a couple of sites without any problem. I'll try some additional testing as well and see how that goes and post the results, but so far for me wifi has worked really well.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #14
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

I just checked wifi access on three additional unsecured networks and they have all connected within about 15 seconds or so and I was able to use them without a problem. You might want to try a hard reset or seeing if you can connect to other networks to try to narrow down the problem.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #15
Abisha
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
I just checked wifi access on three additional unsecured networks and they have all connected within about 15 seconds or so and I was able to use them without a problem. You might want to try a hard reset or seeing if you can connect to other networks to try to narrow down the problem.
I suspect the real problem is two-fold. I am going to write Sony within the next 24 hours to find out if they can confirm or deny my suspicions. My hunch, and I stand my by original assessment that the Reader's WIFI component is feeble, is that,

a. the Reader fails to connect where a separate web based login is required, and

b. where a certificate must be downloaded to the device after a web based login.

If my theory is confirmed to be true, this essentially cripples the device's connectivity at a mind-numbingly vast array of wifi hotspots throughout the world.

Tags
950, prs, prs-950, review, sony