Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #226
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
"...imagine reading "Lost" as a novel...."

Please...no....
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #227
stevedw
stevedw began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I've had the Kobo eReeader for a couple days, and I suppose I'm not the target market. As I tend to convert aviation approach plates to work on various eReaders. But my wish is smaller margins... I lose about 10% of total area versus the Nook and Sony 6" readers. Easy enough to work around, but I like having more screen for displays.(Oh, and working Hierarchical EPUB TOC would be nice too...)
stevedw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #228
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mememememe View Post
And if you look at the 100 preloads, they all have the Kobo formatting, but their source is Project Gutenberg, and the ebook files there don't have that formatting.

It seems to me that Kobo is setting these styles.
I think you are probably right. My main experience of reading on the Kobo is non-Kobo ePubs, and certainly in that instance I stand by my statement that the formatting of the CSS stylesheet determines the look/feel of the book, and the stylesheet is created by the content publisher.

In the case of Kobo format books ("Kobo Shortcovers" format, I believe?), which includes the 100 preloaded books, it sounds as if Kobo re-format the books themselves.

The one ePub I have downloaded from Kobo (a free ePub) did not have double spacing, and had indented paragraphs. I can't state that this is the case for ALL ePubs in the Kobo store, but if anyone is having trouble with shortcover format books they might want to try downloading the book in ePub format.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:05 AM   #229
MissSpice
MissSpice began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
As a brand new, frustrated technophobe Kobo owner in Australia, I'd love to see an easy to use program (think iTunes) that does not use any one book seller's proprietary softwear. (Now, I know I'm going to get the terminology totally wrong, so please forgive a middle aged redhead her sins...^_^)
I got my Kobo from Angus and Roberson, and, their softwear works well with ADE...but, when I try to use Borders, oh, the agony of it all! There is a great big long story about that...

So, please, my greatest wish would be ONE program that will let me...
#start it easily...
#add and remove books as I see fit (and before anyone starts on with "there are ways..." I'll tell you, I have no clue what you're talking about, let alone how to do it. When I said "technophobe" earlier...I meant it. :})
#has a "button" that lets me get updates from both the Kobo and the program that I'd just "opened" - I really don't want to have to go to a book seller's site *just* to hopefully get my Library and Kobo updated.

I know I sound terribly simplistic, but that's what I wanted. Remember the technophobe issue? ~grin~ I didn't want all those bells and whistles, which was one of the big reasons why I didn't go for the iPad. I just wanted something that would let me read a book, simply and easily (I really don't want *all* of my gadgets to be able to access the internet).
MissSpice is offline   Reply With Quote