Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-13-2006, 04:18 PM   #1
Malder1
Connoisseur
Malder1 began at the beginning.

Three not asked earlier questions about iLiad

I'm very interested to buy iLiad e-book!
But I would be very grateful if owners of iLiad cold reply on my several questions which were not asked earlier by other members (if I've searched enough well on the forum).

1) Does white screen of iLiad looks ideally solid or I still can see very small details/borders of e-inc pixels structure, like matrix of LCD pixels?

2) Please can somebody scan screen of iLiad in scanner with 1200 dpi and post fragment of scanned image? Better if together with printed paper (half of picture - eink, another half - usual paper with text) And please tell about font height of shown text (in millimeters) to compare.
Yes, I understand that I'll see now internal structure of display, but it's very interesting to see in details how e-ink based display looks and works. Just to learn.

3) Teoretically sensitive screen should be more dark than in other devices (like Sony Librie), is it true, or iLiad uses ideally clean sensitive glass?

4) Can you confirm that on iLiad (and other e-ink devices) text looks ideally sharp and smooth like printed text on white paper? And text on e-ink display looks smooth/soft and sharper than even on 640x480 PDA (e.g. HP 4700) where text still not enough sharp and not smooth?

Thanks in advance!

I'm sorry excited that "electronic paper" arrived!

Last edited by Malder1; 08-13-2006 at 04:28 PM.
Malder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 05:10 PM   #2
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malder1
3) Teoretically sensitive screen should be more dark than in other devices (like Sony Librie), is it true, or iLiad uses ideally clean sensitive glass?
The iLiad uses an inductive stylus digitizer (manufactured by Wacom), not a touch film. The inductive drive and receive grid is located behind the e-ink display, thus there is no darkening of the e-ink display.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2006, 05:18 PM   #3
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
1) Does white screen of iLiad looks ideally solid or I still can see very small details/borders of e-inc pixels structure, like matrix of LCD pixels?
I'm not sure I understand you. I'm assuming that you are talking about the jagged edges that sometimes appear on bit-mapped fonts.

The text that I see on one of the PDFs I created through OpenOffice looks smooth. Like what I would see in a quality book.

Compare that with a simple text document that I am viewing on my Palm TX and there I see some jagged edged on the curves of the font.

Quote:
2) Please can somebody scan screen of iLiad in scanner with 1200 dpi and post fragment of scanned image?
Someone else will have to help. I don't have a scanner that goes that high.

Quote:
I really have no idea on this one.

Quote:
4) Can you confirm that on iLiad (and other e-ink devices) text looks ideally sharp and smooth like printed text on white paper? And text on e-ink display looks smooth/soft and sharper than even on 640x480 PDA (e.g. HP 4700) where text still not enough sharp and not smooth?
Yes. I can confirm that (although my PDA is only 320x480). I used to read all my eBooks through my Palm TX, but now that I have my iLiad, I use that almost exclusively. The iLiad is far clearer - especially in bright light.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
Malder1
Connoisseur

Thank you for answers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
The iLiad uses an inductive stylus digitizer (manufactured by Wacom), not a touch film. The inductive drive and receive grid is located behind the e-ink display, thus there is no darkening of the e-ink display.
Cool!

rlauzon,
OK, I would ask, if load a page on iLiad without any text - only white screen. Is this white surface absolutely solid as usual paper? Or you can see slight small borders between eink pixels (like matrix of LCD display if set white picture)?
Please look here: http://www.eink.com/technology/howitworks.html (photo at left-top part of window). Of course it's microscope like shot. But can you see similar structure from distance at 10 cm. (4") from a screen? Or it's absolutely not visible for eyes?
Old 08-13-2006, 06:17 PM   #5
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
OK, I would ask, if load a page on iLiad without any text - only white screen. Is this white surface absolutely solid as usual paper? Or you can see slight small borders between eink pixels (like matrix of LCD display if set white picture)?
Solid. Not as bright as usual paper, but it's completely solid. Heck, I can't even see any individual pixels, let alone any border between them.

Quote:
Please look here: http://www.eink.com/technology/howitworks.html (photo at left-top part of window). Of course it's microscope like shot. But can you see similar structure from distance at 10 cm. (4") from a screen? Or it's absolutely not visible for eyes?
It's not visible with the unaided eye. Really, the screen looks like a page out of a quality-printed book. Maybe the paper is a little on the gray side, but that's all.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2006, 06:25 PM   #6
Malder1
Connoisseur

Pefect! Thank you very much for responses!
That's I always hate on LCD screens of PDAs it's visible matrix borders of pixels. I like that iLiad looks as usual paper. Grayed white is suitable, like paper in many books. I'll order iLiad tomorrow.

p.s. by the way, looking at above mentioned photo, I'm impressed how cleverly eink technology used. In fact pixels have different size to fill all screen and text look smooth edges although we can see individual pixels on that photo.

Last edited by Malder1; 08-13-2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:08 PM   #7
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
My ebook device for the past few years has been an hp ipaq 4700 running at vga resolution. As far as pda's go this was the nicest and sharpest display you could find for ebooks. The iLiad just blows it away in sharpness. It's hard to really describe without seeing it in person, but it is much better. The eye strain is also much lower since you don't have a backlight to contend with.

Unfortunately mine arrived with a battery that won't charge so it is going back for repair tomorrow, but I'm frantically working to get all my content converted over to the right pdf size and I'm looking forward to catching up once it's returned.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:42 PM   #8
mtech
mtech began at the beginning.

If you are looking for Project Gutenberg docs formatted nicely for Iliad, go to http://www.sandroid.org/GutenMark/MarkedTexts.html.

Doing a bit of cropping will improve the readability greatly.
mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 01:15 AM   #9
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Does white screen of iLiad looks ideally solid or I still can see very small details/borders of e-inc pixels structure, like matrix of LCD pixels?
The screen is not white ... if any colour should be used to describe it, it's 'grey', and then it tends to darker grey, rather than lighter grey.
When I compare my screen with an IT8 scanner target, I estimate the greyness to be approximately 6/10 (if 0/10 is white, and 10/10 is black).
When I try the same experiment with pocket books, I estimate them at 0/10 or barely 1/10.

Jaggies are present in some places, but you probably won't notice any in plain text. I see them in the leg of the R in the large iRex logo in the documentation, and the rounded corners of the menu buttons.
The most pronounced jaggies I see are in letters like 'A' and 'V', where the sloping line show them.

I don't see the raster of the screen at all: I have to use a loupe, and even then I see it only where the screen is 'painted'. There's no structure I can find in 'white' areas.

Quote:
Don't understand what the question is. 'Sensitive glass'? The iLiad does not have a pressure-sensitive screen, if that's what you're after. As far as I can decide the screen is not glass either: I would guess some kind of 'acrylic glass', as I have the same impression as with acrylic glass for paintings: a vague feeling that some detail is lost in comparison with plain glass, but nothing I would be able to put my finger to. You won't feel the screen is in your way, if that's what you're afraid of.

Quote:
4) Can you confirm that on iLiad (and other e-ink devices) text looks ideally sharp and smooth like printed text on white paper?
Absolutely not. The display is still a raster device, and that is not invisible. If I try to make a rough impression, it's something like a 450 dpi laser printer, i.e. 600 dpi printout looks slightly better to my eye (and 600 dpi is not even close when it comes to printed text). But it's difficult to make an absolute statement, as a laser printer prinout is b/w only, while the iLiad screen is 16 shades of grey, and also as the screen colour is so much darker than the paper, and contrast consequently suffers.

Last edited by ath; 08-14-2006 at 01:33 AM.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:10 PM   #10
Malder1
Connoisseur

Ok, thanks for info!