Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
MO74
MO74 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question dummy just bought the 600- now what ?

OK, it's plugged into the usb. i set up my preferences. i downloaded the ereader sony program.

Now I want to read the user guide but how do i "unzip" it ? It keeps opening in itunes and is it an audio guide or what ? i want to read it, not listen to it.

And I have a whole bunch of PDF books on my hard drive just waiting to be read - how the heck do I get them into the reader ? is it as simple as drag & drop ? From where to where ?
MO74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm not sure about the user guide, but there should be one preloaded on to the Reader.

As for the PDFs, when you open your Library, go to File, then Import Files, then select the files you want and they will get transferred to your library. Then just drag and drop them from the library to the Reader. Just so you know, some PDFs do not look good on ebook devices (although the 600 is better than most). It's not a good ebook format.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
In the Reader/Documents you should find a prs600-UG.zip. It's a compressed archive containing 4 pdf files (the user's guide in 4 languages). You open a zip file using any software like winzip, 7zip or similar. Windows explorer can also open zip archives.

You can drag and drop your books onto the Reader/Database/Media/Books folder. You can also use the sony library software (it should have installed itself as soon as you plugged in your reader) or calibre. I definitely recommend calibre, but any of these ways is fine.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
scuff66
scuff66 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
http://www.sonystyle.com/wcsstore/So...set-166216.pdf online user guide.

I just loaded onto the reader so I wouldn't lose it!! LOL
scuff66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:35 AM   #5
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Just to chime in here.... I had no problems dragging and dropping PDF's from my computer to the reader, no need for any software to do that. Go into Windows explorer and double click on the reader drive (it shows up just like any other external drive). As omk3 said you put the books in the Database/Media/Books folder. Eject your reader (icon in taskbar, usually bottom right), unplug the USB and in a few seconds your PDF's will show up in your menu.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
MO74
MO74 began at the beginning.

Device: none
ereader sony software will not open - gave up and rembered I had dowloaded Adobe digital reader, tried that and voila ! Added all my PDF's to the library there and it recognized my 600 and synced them. I will try Calibre also - but SONY softwear is useless.
MO74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO74 View Post
ereader sony software will not open - gave up and rembered I had dowloaded Adobe digital reader, tried that and voila ! Added all my PDF's to the library there and it recognized my 600 and synced them. I will try Calibre also - but SONY softwear is useless.
Are you on Vista by any chance?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdf, user guide