Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 01-27-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
bigmoney
Connoisseur
bigmoney doesn't litterbigmoney doesn't litter

Device: BeBook w/ OpenInkpot
Can I open Kindle books with the BeBook?

Hi there,

Sorry if this question has been answered before, I could not find it in this forum: can I buy Kindle books at Amazon and open them at BeBook? Or are these files really exclusive for the Kindle? I ask that because some recent tech books seem to be available only for the Kindle.

I know there are geographical restrictions as well when it comes to buying Kindle books but that I can get around, my sister lives in the US. So I just wonder about the DRM and file format.
bigmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoney View Post
Hi there,

Sorry if this question has been answered before, I could not find it in this forum: can I buy Kindle books at Amazon and open them at BeBook? Or are these files really exclusive for the Kindle? I ask that because some recent tech books seem to be available only for the Kindle.

I know there are geographical restrictions as well when it comes to buying Kindle books but that I can get around, my sister lives in the US. So I just wonder about the DRM and file format.
You can buy Kindle books only if you have a Kindle registered to your account. The format is different. Kindle uses mobi (.prc)
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
bigmoney
Connoisseur
bigmoney doesn't litterbigmoney doesn't litter

Device: BeBook w/ OpenInkpot
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
You can buy Kindle books only if you have a Kindle registered to your account.
I see. Will stick to other formats then, too bad if they don't want my money!

Thanks.

Last edited by bigmoney; 01-27-2009 at 08:49 AM.
bigmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:52 AM   #4
Eagleeye
Fanatic
Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: BeBook, Pocketbook 360°; Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
You can buy Kindle books only if you have a Kindle registered to your account. The format is different. Kindle uses mobi (.prc)
Bebook supports mobi/prc, too. If there isn't a special version of DRM connected to the kindle-mobi-files, you could try to read these files on your Bebook. Because, the standard mobi-DRM is no problem. I tested it.
Eagleeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:02 AM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleeye View Post
Bebook supports mobi/prc, too. If there isn't a special version of DRM connected to the kindle-mobi-files, you could try to read these files on your Bebook. Because, the standard mobi-DRM is no problem. I tested it.
The problem is actually to get them, not to read them. You can't buy Amazon e-books if you do not own a (registered) Kindle.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2009, 04:28 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoney View Post
I ask that because some recent tech books seem to be available only for the Kindle.
Note that O'Reilly ebooks are sold on the Kindle in single format (AZW/MOBI), but are DRM-free and come in a three format bundle (PDF, MOBI, ePub) when bought from the publisher. So I suggest checking with the publisher if you can't find a ebook except on the Kindle.

The MOBI format isn't optimal for tech books, and Amazon has suggested to publishers that they use TOPAZ for such books on the Kindle. TOPAZ is a terrible Kindle-only format which is a pale shadow of ePub, but there are Kindle ebooks that use it. Since TOPAZ isn't MOBI, it is more understandable that these are not otherwise available. O'Reilly decided to do the best they can with MOBI, and also to provide ePub (and PDF) as alternatives. In my view they were entirely correct to avoid TOPAZ.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bebook, kindle