Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-18-2016, 09:10 AM   #61
bogfrog
bogfrog began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505's, Kindles far too many K1 K2's K3's K4's K5's KPW1/2/3 DXG KV
looks like this guy has done it
http://allesebook.de/anleitung/anlei...eo-demo-69667/

I've ordered that hardware to give it a try
bogfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:21 AM   #62
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Let me guess -
You found that link posted earlier in this same thread.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2016, 10:10 AM   #63
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Let me guess -
You found that link posted earlier in this same thread.
LOL
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:31 AM   #64
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I just went to amazon to grab the latest firmware for my PW3, after confirming that a reboot while plugged in goes to diags. I find it interesting that amazon is now calling the K4 a "5th generation" kindle, while delegating the K5 to a "4th generation" kindle:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529680

Trouble making up their minds? Facination how the firmware major version numbers once matched the kindle "generation", but apparently that was too confusing for them? Too funny!

Anyway, I have my USB sound dongle doohickey ready to play, so time to get the latest firmware version AND the voice pack installed on my PW3, then rerun that test I did last night. Fingers crossed...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:46 AM   #65
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Recognizing Audio Dongle

Folks not running PW-3, 5.4.7.1 are missing a kernel module.
Which is why those other kernels are not recognizing the hot plugging of the Amazon dongle.

Code:
filename:       ./3.0.35-lab126/kernel/drivers/usb/otg/fsl_otg_arc.ko
license:        GPL
author:         Jerry Huang/Li Yang
description:    $Revision: 1.55 $ Freescale USB OTG Driver
description:    Freescale USB OTG Driver
depends:        
vermagic:       3.0.35-lab126 preempt mod_unload ARMv7 p2v8
Since its GPL - for the adventurous - attached.

= = = =

Non-technical folks stop reading here, even stop thinking of trying this . . . .

You need command line access to your i.MX6 device (I don't recall if the PW-1 is running kernel 3.0.35) and it must be running the same kernel version (uname -a) as shown above.

Download to top of visible USB root -
then, from the command line -
cd /lib/modules
tar -xzf /mnt/us/vv-mod.tar.gz

The path to the *.ko is contained in the tar-ball, it will only un-compress to the proper kernel build tree.

You will probably have to manually insert it (insmod), since I am not including the updated auto-magic-loading files for modprobe (or udev, which uses modprobe data).

Do not be surprised if it fails to load (or loads and does nothing) - we might need the newer kernel build from 5.7.4.1 also.

- - - - -

At this point (after insmod'ing the driver) the kernel should recognize the audio dongle and say something about it in dmesg.

There are probably a lot more requirements to be met to make vv work - -
But the USB-OTG module probably has other uses.
(At least you would think so, there have been requests for it for years.)

we (readers and devs) will putter around with this as time is available.

Last edited by knc1; 05-18-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Advert
Old 05-18-2016, 11:20 AM   #66
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, I tried (one at a time) every 5.7.4 and 5.7.4.1 firmware download from amazon (even voyage and oasis, just to be complete). Every single firmware is greyed out in UYK. I tried them all again. Same results. I have USBnetwork on all the time (flaky touchscreen). Is that intefering? I even downloaded all the files again and compared them -- same. I have backdoorlock enabled. Is that the problem? I will turn it off and try again...

EDIT: I just disabled backdoorlock, and I tried all 5.7.4 firmware updates (all kindle models), and they remain greyed out in UYK. I have USBnet enabled AND the PW3 is in airplane mode, if that matters to UYK. Okay, now that knc1 uploaded a kernel module, all will try that on my PW3 FW 5.6.5 (which I used for testing last night, posted above).

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-18-2016 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:43 AM   #67
geekmaster

Quote:
Download to top of visible USB root -
then, from the command line -
cd /lib/modules
tar -xzf /mnt/us/vv-mod.tar.gz

The path to the *.ko is contained in the tar-ball, it will only un-compress to the proper kernel build tree.
I see that your tarball also contains an eink kernel module that is already installed on my PW3 FW 5.6.5. Was that intentionally included in your tarball? I am a bit hesitant to use your eink driver because it has a different md5sum from what came in my rootfs. I made a backup copy, which is good because your tar command overwrote it (but only after "mntroot rw"). I restored my backup copy.
PHP Code:
[root@kindle otg]# insmod fsl_otg_arc.ko
insmoderror inserting 'fsl_otg_arc.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module 
The kernel (same vermagic?) in 5.7.4.1 must have extra symbols missing in 5.6.5? Until I figure out how to upgrade my PW3 to 5.7.4.1, I cannot test this.

Because "fsl_otg_arc.ko" in the Oasis 5.7.4 rootfs has a different md5sum. I tried it too, but same error message.

Though with "arcotg_udc + g_ether" loaded, perhaps it will fail anyway, but not with "missing symbol" problems.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-18-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:55 PM   #68
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@geekmaster: The framework won't pick up update files if you drop them via USBNet.

We have a button in KUAL in the helper script to trigger the OTA updater manually in these instances.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:56 PM   #69
knc1
Going Viral

That is enough information to know that we need the kernel that is included in the 5.7.4.1 package also.

Extra module? Non-GPL?
Oops - that was an unintentional scripting error.

Thanks for your input - we now know that non-5.7.4.1 kernels are not configured to support that module.
I'll de-attach it before somebody gets hurt from it.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:00 PM   #70
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I see that your tarball also contains an eink kernel module that is already installed on my PW3 FW 5.6.5. Was that intentionally included in your tarball? I am a bit hesitant to use your eink driver because it has a different md5sum from what came in my rootfs. I made a backup copy, which is good because your tar command overwrote it (but only after "mntroot rw"). I restored my backup copy.
PHP Code:
[root@kindle otg]# insmod fsl_otg_arc.ko
insmoderror inserting 'fsl_otg_arc.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module 
The kernel (same vermagic?) in 5.7.4.1 must have extra symbols missing in 5.6.5? Until I figure out how to upgrade my PW3 to 5.7.4.1, I cannot test this.

Because "fsl_otg_arc.ko" in the Oasis 5.7.4 rootfs has a different md5sum. I tried it too, but same error message.

Though with "arcotg_udc + g_ether" loaded, perhaps it will fail anyway, but not with "missing symbol" problems.
If you upgrade to 5.7.4.1 you will have it included.
That is where the module came from.

While KindleTooling things this morning -
I can now say that the 'voiceview' package (without any version number) is just the vox data file.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:03 PM   #71
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@geekmaster: The framework won't pick up update files if you drop them via USBNet.

We have a button in KUAL in the helper script to trigger the OTA updater manually in these instances.
So the UYK button is dependent on unplugging the usb file sharing gadget? Okay.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:05 PM   #72
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@geekmaster: When handled by volumd which then fires the appropriate lipc event, but, basically, yeah.

(i.e., don't try to do things manually in a volumd managed FW (>= 4.x), it will screw up things in fun & interesting ways).
Old 05-18-2016, 01:05 PM   #73
geekmaster

Quote:
I can now say that the 'voiceview' package (without any version number) is just the vox data file.
Yep, noticed that a couple days ago. It only touches /mnt/us -- no drivers...

Interesting that kernel module vermagic remains the same between incompatible (different symbols) kernels...

The differing md5sums of the otg modules means that updates for different kindles must have SOMETHING different in that kernel module (though perhaps just an artifact of a recompile)...
Old 05-18-2016, 01:12 PM   #74
NiLuJe
BLAM!

AFAIK, it's also possibly because Amazon basically rebuilds everything even if there are no code changes for each FW build.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:12 PM   #75
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@geekmaster: When handled by volumd which then fires the appropriate lipc event, but, basically, yeah.

(i.e., don't try to do things manually in a volumd managed FW (>= 4.x), it will screw up things in fun & interesting ways).
So when groups of automated events are clustered together, and you do them manually, either dropping a step or doing them in the wrong order, you get "clusterfscked" (by upstart, no doubt)?

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-18-2016 at 01:16 PM.