Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-22-2014, 12:29 PM   #31
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Interesting, because I can still borrow ebooks and audiobooks from libraries where I'm not a resident. I wonder why OverDrive would be so selective?
Yeah one of my libraries pulled that crap on me. I can still borrow dead tree books but no ebooks.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #32
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Interesting, because I can still borrow ebooks and audiobooks from libraries where I'm not a resident. I wonder why OverDrive would be so selective?
IIRC this was discussed few years ago (when the NYPL stopped their non-resident offering). In order to be able to have all books from OverDrive potentially available to your library they can't offer non-resident checkouts or something like that. So places like the Free Library or Philadelphia have a smaller catalog of content available to them. This was due to publisher complaints to OverDrive.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2014, 01:10 PM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
IIRC this was discussed few years ago (when the NYPL stopped their non-resident offering). In order to be able to have all books from OverDrive potentially available to your library they can't offer non-resident checkouts or something like that. So places like the Free Library or Philadelphia have a smaller catalog of content available to them. This was due to publisher complaints to OverDrive.
All of my libraries still allow reciprocal borrowing and they have some of the largest collections in the country; including Seattle with over 70,000 ebooks. Two others have collections over 40,000 and 30,000 ebooks.

That's why I'm a bit puzzled by this.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:11 PM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfry View Post
Yeah one of my libraries pulled that crap on me. I can still borrow dead tree books but no ebooks.
I can't remember the last time I borrowed a DTB.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:28 PM   #35
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
I can't remember the last time I borrowed a DTB.
I still borrow them if I have to. You have overlook the food stains and the bacteria though.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #36
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
All of my libraries still allow reciprocal borrowing and they have some of the largest collections in the country; including Seattle with over 70,000 ebooks. Two others have collections over 40,000 and 30,000 ebooks.

That's why I'm a bit puzzled by this.
For Overdrive the term non-resident generally means out-of-state. I contacted Seattle Public Library and asked if I can have a library card and the gentleman said no as I didn't live in Washington State. If I did, then it would cost $85 a year unless I had a card from a reciprocal county.
Fbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
For Overdrive the term non-resident generally means out-of-state. I contacted Seattle Public Library and asked if I can have a library card and the gentleman said no as I didn't live in Washington State. If I did, then it would cost $85 a year unless I had a card from a reciprocal county.
Ahhh, that explains it. None of my libraries offer out-of-state cards; except one. It offers its card to a few counties in Oregon that border its territory.

edit: but then, that doesn't explain Orange County and Brooklyn. Both are major OverDrive libraries with over 60,000 and 40,000 ebooks respectively, and both allow out-of-state cards.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 01-22-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #38
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfry View Post
I still borrow them if I have to. You have overlook the food stains and the bacteria though.
Ewww.... nothing like somebody else's crumbs falling on your bed. And let's not foget the ones that smell like cigarette smoke.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:37 AM   #39
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Quote:

edit: but then, that doesn't explain Orange County and Brooklyn. Both are major OverDrive libraries with over 60,000 and 40,000 ebooks respectively, and both allow out-of-state cards.
I was wondering the same thing. The explanation I came up with is that those libraries still buy a lot of books, even though their selection is limited?

I have noticed that for Free Library of Philly, there are titles in overdrive that say they are available for libraries, but I cannot recommend them using the FLP website.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #40
gracie
Enthusiast
gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
According to the librarian with whom I spoke, it's purely Overdrive wanting EVERY county to pay them for their service. I don't know how different systems interpret what Overdrive is demanding, but in Minnesota, Hennepin County interpreted it as any NON-COUNTY resident.

Of course, we don't know who's zoomin' who here... It COULD be that Overdrive says OUT-OF-STATE, and the Hennepin County library board decided that anyone that isn't willing to pay their ridiculously overblown property taxes shouldn't be allowed to borrow electronic materials... Never underestimate the venal intent of scumbag politicians.

Unfortunately, I find a LOT more of what I'm after in Hennepin County, where I can't get them, than in ANY other in-state library. More by factors of 10 than Saint Paul, Selco, Rochester, or the 3M Cloud.
gracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:58 AM   #41
Coold
Coold began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Ewww.... nothing like somebody else's crumbs falling on your bed. And let's not foget the ones that smell like cigarette smoke.
Cigarette smoke is injurious to health. Cigarette smell is very bad. I don't like cigarette smell.
Coold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #42
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie View Post
According to the librarian with whom I spoke, it's purely Overdrive wanting EVERY county to pay them for their service. I don't know how different systems interpret what Overdrive is demanding, but in Minnesota, Hennepin County interpreted it as any NON-COUNTY resident.

Of course, we don't know who's zoomin' who here... It COULD be that Overdrive says OUT-OF-STATE, and the Hennepin County library board decided that anyone that isn't willing to pay their ridiculously overblown property taxes shouldn't be allowed to borrow electronic materials... Never underestimate the venal intent of scumbag politicians.

Unfortunately, I find a LOT more of what I'm after in Hennepin County, where I can't get them, than in ANY other in-state library. More by factors of 10 than Saint Paul, Selco, Rochester, or the 3M Cloud.
I think the library itself just doesn't want non-county resident to access e-books. I say this because I have a library card to a library (and by extension its consortium) in a county that I don't live in. Their rule is that anyone who lives in the state can get a card from them. I can also borrow e-books from the consortium's Overdrive site.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote