Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
Jason Green
Jason Green began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
The only thing I'm not keen about re ereaders is.

The fact that you can not flick between pages like you can with a real book.

Sometimes, especially with reference books, you like to refer back to another page, but you can't do that easily with an ebook, especially if the page numbers are out of sync with the index.
Jason Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
I agree that flipping through a paper book is easier, but I really like being able to do a word search in an ebook.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
If you press and hold the >> and < buttons, you'll flip through pages.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
If you press and hold the >> and < buttons, you'll flip through pages.
This works fairly well. However, it's not as quick and easy as flicking back, say, 100 pages to the general area and flipping around from there to see what you were looking for.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:07 AM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
This works fairly well. However, it's not as quick and easy as flicking back, say, 100 pages to the general area and flipping around from there to see what you were looking for.
If you tap the page number in the status bar at the bottom of the screen, then a window appears with a page scroll bar which you can swipe to move however many pages you want.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 03:02 AM   #6
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Green View Post
... a real book ... an ebook ...
I think they both have advantages and disadvantages. I read both; at any given time, I always have at least one of each on the go. That way I get the best of both worlds.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:31 AM   #7
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
In PRS+ project there was a feature request: "open random page of the book action" so that "it feels more like a real book".
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:13 AM   #8
simulacrum
Connoisseur
simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.

Device: PRS-950
is there not a way to flick back to your bookmarks?
simulacrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #9
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
If there is an important chart or something, you can bookmark it. I also find that I love the word search feature. If I can't remember who a character is, for example, I can go back to the first time that character is mentioned.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

In a scholarly work reading endnotes is okay if they are properly formatted and hyperlinked so that you press to read the note then press to return to where you were. If they aren't formatted/hyperlinked properly, they are useless. A popup box like that used for many dictionary lookups would be even better.

I think ereaders should have a setting that can remember the last 10 or so places you were in a book, that way you could get back to your last reading position within just a few simple clicks. Web browsers all have this feature and ereader software is basically a specialized web browser, so it would be easy to implement. I swear, the ereader manufacturers just are not very innovative when it comes to their reader software. They are way behind the curve in providing basic necessities like the ability to change:
  • font family
  • font type
  • background color
  • text color
  • margin sizes
Old, decade old, PDA reader software had much better functionality than the typical reader software today!

With the modern readers having fast processors and lots of memory, there is no reason why they cannot allow you to have at least two books, or book sections, opened simultaneously so that you could toggle between them.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-20-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #11
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
With the "Russified" firmware, you can make a hotkey to the "back" action. Pretty useful for following links and returning quickly (without opening options menu).
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #12
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
With the modern readers having fast processors and lots of memory, there is no reason why they cannot allow you to have at least two books, or book sections, opened simultaneously so that you could toggle between them.
Can't you toggle between books with 2 clicks (home button => click on the book) in 950? Whether they are internally opened simultaneously is implementation detail that shouldn't matter to the user.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:53 PM   #13
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Green View Post
The fact that you can not flick between pages like you can with a real book.

Sometimes, especially with reference books, you like to refer back to another page, but you can't do that easily with an ebook, especially if the page numbers are out of sync with the index.