Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #61
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
That brings up an interesting question. What more is required from a "dedicated word processor" that you feel Scrivener doesn't do?

Its not that so much for me. Scrivener is a great tool. I own it on my Mac and I am building an encyclopedia for my novels in it BUT it is designed around the concept of building in distinct pieces. That is not how I write. Could I write in Scrivener? Sure, but Word is set up more around the idea of one continues flowing idea, which is how I work.

So I think its all in how you work/think in which will fit better.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #62
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
But there is no significant limit on how much you can write in a single Scrivener tab, is there? You could chose to write in a single flowing page (say only one tab in the Draft section) and ignore the multiple-piece tools (like multiple tabs and scrivening mode).

I'm not knocking Word, which has put money in my pocket for years, but I do not see its superiority for your approach unless there is something else you didn't describe.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #63
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
You can write the whole novel in one Scrivener document, yes. I don't know why you would want to, but if that is your preference, I don't think the software imposes any limitations that would prevent you from doing so. It also has a flowing mode where it will display different documents as if they were part of the same continuous document, which I feel gives you the best of both approaches.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:22 AM   #64
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Without wanting to repeat everything said on another thread, what Scrivener is missing right now is Styles. There are a few other things I would like from Scrivener, but Styles is the one that I do get from LibreOffice and I am not yet willing to do without.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #65
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Without wanting to repeat everything said on another thread, what Scrivener is missing right now is Styles. There are a few other things I would like from Scrivener, but Styles is the one that I do get from LibreOffice and I am not yet willing to do without.
Mac or PC? Never used the PC one... but the Mac one has "formatting presets" which are the same idea. I have found there are enough differences between the 2 versions that you need to specify which one your talking about because the windows builds are still pretty far behind.

The biggest feature Scrivener is missing in my book is Track Changes. Even if everything else was perfect in Scrivener - this one feature of Word would keep me in Word.
Advert
Old 09-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #66
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Mac or PC? Never used the PC one... but the Mac one has "formatting presets" which are the same idea. I have found there are enough differences between the 2 versions that you need to specify which one your talking about because the windows builds are still pretty far behind.[...]
I was talking about the PC version, but I checked the manual for Mac and it says:
Quote:
The first drop-down contains formatting presets (subsection 15.4.3); handy ways to apply many formatting preferences at once.
Which doesn't sound hopeful. In fact, when you look at section 15.4.3 you see:
Quote:
Previously known as “Styles”, the new system changes the name to avoid confusion with word processor styles, which keep assigned ranges of text up to date with stylesheets.
So they appear to be quite different things (presets sound like macros that set multiple explicit formatting).

Word processor styles (in LibreOffice, and I presume Word) are mostly compatible with the HTML concept of styles, which export tools use to their advantage, as can a writer that gets used to using styles effectively.

So presets aren't going to help you make a well constructed epub. Word processor styles can (in combination with a good export tool).
Old 09-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #67
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
That brings up an interesting question. What more is required from a "dedicated word processor" that you feel Scrivener doesn't do?
I can open multiple instances of Atlantis (sometimes even three) each with multiple tabs. This helps me organize.

I have total control over my files, where they are saved, etc, and all in .rtf. I can backup and have as many versions as I want.

I have never lost work with Atlantis. When I've had some kind of crash (very rare), the program always has an up-to-date backup. It recovers very well.

Also, I can write almost entirely without the mouse. I use keyboard shortcuts for everything.

I have a lot of font formatting options that I find useful (subscript, outline, shadow, emboss, plus lots of strike-through and underline options.)

Can Scrivener offer all that? I doubt multiple instances are possible, but then I guess Scrivener doesn't need to do that. It's a different approach. It sounds very good and I plan to try it.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #68
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
[...]Can Scrivener offer all that? I doubt multiple instances are possible, but then I guess Scrivener doesn't need to do that. It's a different approach. It sounds very good and I plan to try it.
I definitely suggest you try it, it is a fascinating product (as a software developer myself I am always impressed when people create such things as this). They offer a very good tutorial which is a great way to review the product.

I have my reasons for not using it, but that doesn't stop me admiring it for what it is. (And that's just talking about the Windows version. As noted above, the Mac version is apparently better again.)
Old 09-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #69
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Can Scrivener offer all that? I doubt multiple instances are possible, but then I guess Scrivener doesn't need to do that.
It can run multiple instances. I often have different projects open simultaneously.

Scrivener also has various backup features, including support for DropBox and automatic updates if you opt for those (individual projects can be excluded). Backups are zipped so that you have one file for each backup.

The trial version is fully featured, I believe, and you can unlock it with a key if you decide to keep using it after the test period.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #70
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Vydor, Word does track changes nicely. In Scrivener don't snapshots and 'compare snapshots' accomplish most of that? I agree it isn't rolled as sweetly into one document and doesn't track multiple people.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #71
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Vydor, Word does track changes nicely. In Scrivener don't snapshots and 'compare snapshots' accomplish most of that? I agree it isn't rolled as sweetly into one document and doesn't track multiple people.
No. I can not send a single Scrivener file to an editor to edit an send back with comments and all changes tracked that I can then approve/disapprove changes right in the document, one by one or in bulk.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #72
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Focuswriter and Droid Sans. I also sometimes use Scrivener but whilst I like what it can do I usually end up fiddling with things and not actually writing.

I like to have a black background and a fairly large font - 16pt. My focuswriter is set to a green foreground and Scrivener full-screen is set to cyan. I find this easier on my eyes.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #73
magicrobin
magicrobin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
WordPerfect. I wrote my first book on a Commodore 64 using PaperClip. I couldn't even see a full line of text until I printed. But it had the key advantage over a typewriter that I could make changes in the text without having to retype the whole thing.

But since then always WordPerfect. Usually I have to then convert to MS Word before my publishers continue on with the process. Now I've decided to try and create a Kindle book myself out of a book that was serialized in a journal.
magicrobin is offline   Reply With Quote