Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #46
Eknot
Eknot has a spectacular aura aboutEknot has a spectacular aura aboutEknot has a spectacular aura aboutEknot has a spectacular aura aboutEknot has a spectacular aura aboutEknot has a spectacular aura aboutEknot has a spectacular aura aboutEknot has a spectacular aura aboutEknot has a spectacular aura aboutEknot has a spectacular aura aboutEknot has a spectacular aura about

Device: kobo touch
Thank you Serpentine! It worked perfectly!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:38 AM   #47
turo87
turo87 began at the beginning.

Device: kobotouch
my kobo touch bricked during updating

Hi guys, sorry for my english but I'm Italian..
I've a great problem with my kobo touch, yesterday, during updating from firmware 2.3.1 to firmware 2.2.1, my kobo bricked and now it's blocked on the restarting screen.
I tried to reset with the button, but it did not work.
I read that it's possible to mount an image to SD card inside, but I don't understand how, Can you help me with a guide? thank you so much
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #48
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by turo87 View Post
Hi guys, sorry for my english but I'm Italian..
I've a great problem with my kobo touch, yesterday, during updating from firmware 2.3.1 to firmware 2.2.1, my kobo bricked and now it's blocked on the restarting screen.
I tried to reset with the button, but it did not work.
I read that it's possible to mount an image to SD card inside, but I don't understand how, Can you help me with a guide? thank you so much
Hi Turo.

Any chance you have a friend/cousin/co-worker who might be or know a Linux/Unix geek? The learning curve will be much gentler if you know someone who can be bribed with a beer or slice of Pizza (does that work in Italy?)
Old 01-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #49
Chattytobi
Member Retired
Chattytobi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
PM Sent
Hello Serpentine,
Could you send me the image, too?

My sisters Kobo isn't working since I tried to update the firmware.

Are there pictures anywhere, how to open the Kobo touch for getting the internal SD Card?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Chattytobi; 01-07-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #50
turo87
turo87 began at the beginning.

Device: kobotouch
I'm sorry but I do not use linux, in Italy we are smart, so I use image writer for windows to copy the image to the sd and works well.

thanks to serpentine, HE helped me and he did not funny.
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 12:24 AM   #51
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Excellent to hear it worked out

@Chattytobi - PM sent.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:37 AM   #52
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Thanks for the tip on Image Writer. Seems a useful little tool
Old 01-08-2013, 12:57 AM   #53
Simba51
Simba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo & Kobo Mini
Hello Serpentine, following a bad manip my Kobo Glo reboots more. Could you send me the image of the micro SD, please try please. Thank you in advance
Old 01-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #54
Chattytobi
Member Retired
Chattytobi began at the beginning.

Hello Serpentien. Thanks for the image!

Is it possible, that anyone explaines how to open the Kobo Touch?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #55
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
@Simba51 - Will send it now.

To open the Touch is fairly simple, there are no screws or glue, the back is just clipped into place. The clips are along the edge and fairly strong.

I find it is easiest to open from the corner closest to the sider switch. Using a spudger, guitar plectrum or similarly thin hard plastic thing, slide it into the gap and then under to pull back. You should manage to get some leverage and hopefully the next clip. Once the hard part is done, you'll want to continue down the sides, moving the instrument close to the next clip and applying pressure.

Once they're all done, you're done and it's loose in your hand. The SD card should be in a little slot on the board, it is not glued in (Thanks Kobo!). Take it out, rewrite it with whatever tool you settle on, then put it back in (and before you close it) either try the slider at the top or the reset switch at the bottom. If neither work, unclip the little terminal that the battery connects to wait a few seconds and push it back in - careful it's pretty small and delicate. Then try power on.

Clipping everything back up - you shouldn't have any damage, while there is some firm pressure, the plastic holds up without problem
Old 01-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #56
kitkat256
kitkat256 began at the beginning.

Hi Serpentine,

I could really use that microsd image if you would be so kind as to pm it to me. I have a kobo here stuck on the restart screen after an update and would like to give it a go as attempting factory reset does nothing. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #57
flex0r
flex0r began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
@Simba51 - Will send it now.

To open the Touch is fairly simple, there are no screws or glue, the back is just clipped into place. The clips are along the edge and fairly strong.

Clipping everything back up - you shouldn't have any damage, while there is some firm pressure, the plastic holds up without problem
Serpentine I want to thank you for this wonderful guide, opening op the Touch has proven to be no problem at all! One could make the case that opening up the Mini or Arc is (almost) 'as hard'...! (And they have 'replaceable' backs)
Old 01-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #58
kitkat256
kitkat256 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat256 View Post
Hi Serpentine,

I could really use that microsd image if you would be so kind as to pm it to me. I have a kobo here stuck on the restart screen after an update and would like to give it a go as attempting factory reset does nothing. Thanks in advance!
actually, I'm no longer in need of the image so no need for the link here. I managed to get it back up and running again after locating another kobo touch. I swapped the sd card, it booted up fine in the other kobo. I ran a firmware update, and it completed fine and started back up. I then swapped it back into the stuck device, gave it a kick and... it came up fine.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:52 AM   #59
LeEup
LeEup began at the beginning.

Hi Serpentine,

Same problem here, could you pm th microsd image ?

Thank you!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:31 AM   #60
Gwensabine
Gwensabine began at the beginning.

Hi everyone !!

Same problem here : kobo touch (quilt edition, if that makes any difference) crashed with loading screen, opened it and can't see any sd card !!.... I don't really know what to do now, not used to open electronic devices to get them working.....and as it is over a year old so I can forget the idea of having it changed, so unless I wait until the battery goes flat (and of course it is fully charged) I don't know....help please !!!
Closed Thread