Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #61
jswinden
Nameless Being

Check out this video introducing the PW from Amazon.com.

Look at seconds 16 through 26 where they zoom in on the text. That is such blatant BS. No way the text ever looks that good. So definitely marketing BS and hype.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #62
jswinden
Nameless Being

I was checking out the image on Amazon.com that illustrates how the new light layer works. See below:

Since light tends to fall off with distance it makes sense to design the nanoimprinted light guide layer to push more light toward the end of the layer which is supposed to be at the top of the PW. As the light travels from bottom to top and gets farther away from the LEDs it is supposed to push more light onto the screen. I wonder if this layer can be turned around, and if so, whether that would cause the dark shadow at the top of the screen? Probably not possible, but still I could see this happening in a lax manufacturing process.
Advert
Old 10-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #63
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Pictures or you got a Kobo Glo.
The first picture is from day one with the Paperwhite, taken in somewhat dim light with the brightness set at 17, where I usually leave it. The second picture was taken indoors, in mostly window light, with the brightness set to the same level. I did have some initial problems with Whispersync, but never with the screen.

Last Sunday I finally checked out the Glo at Target. I actually didn't think the light distribution was noticeably better than the PW; in fact, I liked it less. I get that it has more LEDs, but I found the GlowLight's top-down light cones way more distracting than the Paperwhite's bottom-up light cones. But I did like its physical page turn controls and the fact that it has real page numbers. I can't figure out why Amazon still can't provide page numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0112.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	452.3 KB
ID:	94257   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0114.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	577.1 KB
ID:	94258  

Last edited by Gameboy70; 10-16-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:48 AM   #64
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Gameboy70, is this pleasure reading?
What State did you see it in?
The Targets around here don't carry the Kobos any more. Not sure if BestBuy does, so I would not know where to try one out. They seem to have less coloration problems.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:56 AM   #65
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I notice that the pre-release reviews didn't show the PW in the dark. The reviews were 'glowing' and the images were unrealistic. No wonder some people are annoyed with Amazon. A lot of the people who are peed off now are ex-fanboys. The whole thing is interesting and I have pop-corn.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #66
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Gameboy70, is this pleasure reading?
Learning is always a pleasure.

Quote:
What State did you see it in?
The Targets around here don't carry the Kobos any more. Not sure if BestBuy does, so I would not know where to try one out. They seem to have less coloration problems.
I saw it in Santa Monica, California. Didn't see any Kindles, though.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:21 AM   #67
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
Learning is always a pleasure.

I saw it in Santa Monica, California. Didn't see any Kindles, though.
Target decided to get rid of Kindles a few weeks ago. Now their stores are very Nook centric - at least around here.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:44 AM   #68
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
The first picture is from day one with the Paperwhite, taken in somewhat dim light with the brightness set at 17, where I usually leave it. The second picture was taken indoors, in mostly window light, with the brightness set to the same level. I did have some initial problems with Whispersync, but never with the screen.
To you the screen looks fine apart from the lower area where the LED's are. When I look at the picture I see a large red area (top center and to the left). Do you not see it?
Maybe the top right looks greenish?
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #69
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgetus View Post
To you the screen looks fine apart from the lower area where the LED's are. When I look at the picture I see a large red area (top center and to the left). Do you not see it?
For once I'm glad for my poor eyesight lol. I couldn't see anything like that.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #70
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgetus View Post
When I look at the picture I see a large red area (top center and to the left). Do you not see it?
Same here. I hope that Amazon does now realise that there's quite a number of people who can see these colour casts quite clearly and that they really need to do something about it! When I cancelled my UK preorder, I did put in the (optional) reason for cancellation that it was because of those pink and green blotches that I had noticed on many pictures and that I would wait until these were resolved to change from my K3 (even if that means having to wait for the next iteration of the PW!)
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #71
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Current Kindle Ratings
  • 4.5 -- K3 Keyboard
  • 4.1 -- K4 Black
  • 3.9 -- Fire HD
  • 3.7 -- Paperwhite
  • 3.4 -- Fire 2
I heart my K4S. I like it better than my K3.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #72
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Current Kindle Ratings
  • 4.5 -- K3 Keyboard
  • 4.1 -- K4 Black
  • 3.9 -- Fire HD
  • 3.7 -- Paperwhite
  • 3.4 -- Fire 2
Are these the average ratings on amazon.com?

If so, what's up with the Fires that people typically complain about? I know basically nothing about that device.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #73
Chucky77
Chucky77 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Current Kindle Ratings
  • 4.5 -- K3 Keyboard
  • 4.1 -- K4 Black
  • 3.9 -- Fire HD
  • 3.7 -- Paperwhite
  • 3.4 -- Fire 2
I'd be curious to know what the PW's average rating would be when you discount all the reviewers furiously giving one star reviews as it doesn't do text to speech / has smaller storage capacity than they'd imagined (both listed in the specs when they ordered) or that they are annoyed that despite ordering 2 weeks ago it's not arrived yet.

These idiots seriously throw off the average.
Chucky77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #74
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky77 View Post
I'd be curious to know what the PW's average rating would be when you discount all the reviewers furiously giving one star reviews as it doesn't do text to speech / has smaller storage capacity than they'd imagined (both listed in the specs when they ordered) or that they are annoyed that despite ordering 2 weeks ago it's not arrived yet.

These idiots seriously throw off the average.
I've said this before, but if you're going to toss out the bad reviews you don't agree with, you also have to toss out all the 'fanboy' reviews from people who post reviews saying stuff like "I haven't gotten my PW yet but I've seen the pics and I know it's going to be AMAZING, so ignore all these bad reviews!!!!!"

In short--the average is the average. I know people really, really want to believe you should just toss out X percentage of pointless negative reviews, but they're there on every high-profile product. It doesn't stop stellar high-profile products like iPads from hitting 4.5 stars.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #75
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
And the DX was discontinued with a 4.0. If reviews are taken into account, I would expect the PW to be replaced.

Maybe the flaws in the PW are part of Amazon's grand plan to get consumers to use lcd products so they can sell them videos.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote