Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
ralban
ralban began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Overdrive Media Console on Rooted Nook Color

Hi All-
Many thanks for your threads about Nook rooting. I purchased a nook color on Friday, auto-rooted Saturday, and haven't looked back.

I installed Overdrive Media Console and have been able to authorize the app with my ADE account, but when I open download links for an epub from my library page, the link is rendered as text in the browser instead the OMC app to initiate the download.

I've searched the threads and found someone else who experiences this symptom, and one other report of someone successfully running OMC (though they indicate the app runs successfully, they didn't indicate if they've been able to download content yet).

Has anyone been able to download content through OMC, and if so, know how to fix the issue I've described?

Thanks!
ralban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralban View Post
Hi All-
Many thanks for your threads about Nook rooting. I purchased a nook color on Friday, auto-rooted Saturday, and haven't looked back.

I installed Overdrive Media Console and have been able to authorize the app with my ADE account, but when I open download links for an epub from my library page, the link is rendered as text in the browser instead the OMC app to initiate the download.

I've searched the threads and found someone else who experiences this symptom, and one other report of someone successfully running OMC (though they indicate the app runs successfully, they didn't indicate if they've been able to download content yet).

Has anyone been able to download content through OMC, and if so, know how to fix the issue I've described?

Thanks!
Great topic.

I've not been successful at downloading ebooks. I have the same problem "but when I open download links for an epub from my library page, the link is rendered as text in the browser instead the OMC app to initiate the download."

MP3 audiobooks have been successful.

I don't know if it's a rooted NC issue or a general Android app issue. There are some Android apps that just don't work on the rooted NC. The NOOK Android app is an example.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
ralban

Thanks, SCION.
I have found your posts to be very helpful.

Well I answered my own question from Overdrive's FAQ for Android, unfortunatly it's not the answer I wanted to find:

OverDrive Media Console for Android supports OverDrive MP3 Audiobooks
Old 12-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Shoot, I haven't actually downloaded a book yet, just the app. I knew that PDFs couldn't be downloaded, but I assumed that the epub books would work fine.

Let me go check it out and I'll report back.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralban View Post
Thanks, SCION.
I have found your posts to be very helpful.

Well I answered my own question from Overdrive's FAQ for Android, unfortunatly it's not the answer I wanted to find:

OverDrive Media Console for Android supports OverDrive MP3 Audiobooks
Maybe it's just a matter of time then. It's only been a week or two since they updated the iPhone Overdrive app to add ebook functionality. At least in the meantime you can use ADE on your desktop to transfer library books to your NC and read them. I have been reading library books just fine on my NC.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Oh boo. Mp3 only, that sucks.

Oh well. Hopefully it won't be long before they make epub books compatible with Android devices.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Maybe it's just a matter of time then. It's only been a week or two since they updated the iPhone Overdrive app to add ebook functionality.
I was thinking the same thing, that's why I haven't contacted Overdrive support yet.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I was thinking the same thing, that's why I haven't contacted Overdrive support yet.
But their website says it's supported. Are they wrong?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
But their website says it's supported. Are they wrong?
The website also lists devices that are supported. Rooted NC is not there so I can't just contact support and say it's not working on my rooted NC.

I'm waiting to hear from people who have the app on their Android phone or an officially supported Android tablet to chime in. If the app works on these devices then it's an app that just won't work on a rooted NC.

Last edited by SCION; 12-20-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant

deleted

Last edited by SCION; 12-20-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:23 PM   #11
MsCG1
Zealot

The website says that only MP3 audiobooks are supported on Android right now. ebooks are not.

But then the Market app says that the most recent update adds support for epub books.

*sighs*

Let me download the app to my phone and see what happens.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:31 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post

Let me download the app to my phone and see what happens.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #13
MsCG1
Zealot

I just downloaded an epub book to my phone and it worked fine. The book is open and I'm reading it.

So, it must be a rooted Nook problem. Darn.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
I just downloaded an epub book to my phone and it worked fine. The book is open and I'm reading it.

So, it must be a rooted Nook problem. Darn.
I figured that was the issue. Darn is right.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:45 PM   #15
ralban

I imagine the problem is telling Android or the Browser what application to render the .acsm file with.

When I go to my library's site from my computer and download my checked-out items, it downloads an .acsm file. The file looks like an XML doc when opened in a text editor.

Does anyone know how to associate filetypes to applications in Android (i.e., open mp3 files with the media player; open acsm files with Overdrive)?

<edit1>
So, I Googled a bit and learned that Astro can change file type associations. I created an extension for acsm, but need to specify "Mime Type:" and "SubType:"

Can someone with epub downloading working on another Android device install Astro, and look for these settings?
</edit1>

<edit2>
some support sites indicate that the file extension might be ".odm". Not sure if this varies by content type.
</edit2>

Last edited by ralban; 12-20-2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: more googling

Tags
nook color, overdrive