Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
bane
bane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
"micro-margins" with kindle 3 pdf viewer

Hi, I've just got a Kindle 3 and I'm trying to figure out what's possible with the
builtin pdf viewer software.

In particular, there's a certain amount of interesting stuff on the web which has LaTeX source, so that with a simple automatable modification of the margins you can process them to produce pdf documents of any desired size, so in particular I tried to figure out the Kindle's "effective screen size". Unfortunately, I can't find any set of dimensions that will allow use of almost the whole screen (ie, with just the "page x" line at the bottom). Instead every options seems to have the pdf viewer add "micro-margins". These pdfs have been setup to have no margin, and if I check them with a software pdf viewer on my PC they do indeed have text right up to all the edges of the "page". If I try

1. using "actual size", it looks like once the size creeps over the size of the screen minus horizontal and vertical scroll bars, you get scroll bars regardless of if the contents would fit on the whole screen.

2. If I choose fit-to-width, the pdf viewer insists on putting a white margins followed by a black border around the text, ending up wasting maybe 8mm around each side.

3. If I try and trick it by producing a pdf with a "technical" page size but with content which actually spills outside the visible area, the kindle just displays the area within the technical page size (along with micro-margins).

Before I start digging around under the hood, I was wondering if anyone else has already figured out a solution? I see that some people are embedding comics images in pdf's: has anyone doing that figured out this issue? (I don't really want to convert the pages to images within a different format because math adornments like primes, subscripts or hats on variables often get eroded by conversion to bitmaps.)

Thanks for any help,
Bane

Last edited by bane; 10-07-2010 at 01:20 PM.
bane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, margins, pdf