Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 11:56 PM   #1
nadolax
nadolax began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Transferring Sony EPUB via Calibre

Will Sony EPUBs with DRM transfer to my 505 with Calibre? I ask because I'm trying to consolidate all my books onto Calibre (sick of dealing with both programs).

Calibre won't let me view the Sony-bought files, but will they still transfer to my Sony Reader okay? Also, will changing the Metadata of these files prevent them from working on the Reader?

Thanks for the help!
nadolax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:05 AM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Why don't you just try it for yourself.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:12 AM   #3
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
If your Sony Reader is registered - shouldn't it?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:20 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadolax View Post
Will Sony EPUBs with DRM transfer to my 505 with Calibre? I ask because I'm trying to consolidate all my books onto Calibre.

Calibre won't let me view the Sony-bought files, but will they still transfer to my Sony Reader okay? Also, will changing the Metadata of these files prevent them from working on the Reader?
Yes! I just did this on my 505.

You can use Calibre to send these files to your reader. You can also update the metadata so they look pretty in Calibre, but the only data that gets transferred to your reader with the file are the tags/series info.

Of course to read the drm books your reader has to have been authorized.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
nadolax
nadolax began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Awesome thanks!
nadolax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
Yes, it will work perfectly OK - I got tired of the Sony software early last year and transferred my entire library (DRMd epubs, the Sony free titles, and various other pdfs) into Calibre and then re-loaded my 505 liseuse from Calibre. Obviously my pc and the 505 are registered for Adobe. Everything worked perfectly first time, and has continued to do so.
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Lost in source code- Adventures in fetching metadata.

Perhaps some kind soul will steer me to the module or relevant part thereof that controls the loading of title and author from the fetched metadata into the database.

My author and title data is pretty good, but I want summary info, images and social metadata. When I download that data, the author and title are overwritten, and I want to temporarily modify the code to prevent this. I want it to look up the author and title, show them to me and let me select the best match, but not actually load those two items, while continuing to load the other items. I find myself constantly copying the author and title data and repasting it after I've selected the closest book in the search results.

Unfortunately, my Python skills suck. I've been through fetch.py and fetch_metadata.py and related ui files, but I can't quite seem to find what I'm looking for. I can find the part of the code relating to the results on each row of the search, and I can control those results, but that's too early. I need to find the data just before it comes back and overwrites the initial author/title data. I can't find the line (or even the right module) where the data from the selected book on the search screen is brought back to the edit metadata screen.

This is just for my temporary use, not a proposed feature. Thanks to anyone who can help get me to the right module or area of the source I should be looking at.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
A simple hack would be to modify the metadata plugins to not set title and author.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #9
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
A simple hack would be to modify the metadata plugins to not set title and author.
That's what I'm trying to do, but I'm having trouble figuring out the right module. I'm reading up on python, but if you want to point me to a particular module .... I'll get there, but it's slow going.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:38 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

IIRC the plugins are defined in calibre.ebooks.metadata.fetch

You should be able to modify the fetch method of each plugin so that it uses the passed in title and author instead of the downloaded one
Old 01-10-2010, 08:51 AM   #11
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
IIRC the plugins are defined in calibre.ebooks.metadata.fetch

You should be able to modify the fetch method of each plugin so that it uses the passed in title and author instead of the downloaded one
Thanks. I just need to spend more time with the code and Python. Sorry for hijacking this thread. I could have sworn I started a new thread. I'm posting from a hospital bed using a 10 foot interface and I must have hit the wrong button.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No problem and hope you recover fully.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #13
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
No problem and hope you recover fully.
Thanks for the good wishes - I'm reading up on derived classes and Python - it's a good project, and I'll try to stay out of your hair.

Tags
calibre, drm, epub, sony