Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-23-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
drogo
Connoisseur
drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-500
CHM to single html file...suggestions?

So, I've tried a few tools, but am having little luck.

I tried one that seemed promising, chmdecoder, but it ends up with a file that links to other pages. Book Designer only pulls in the first page.

I found one program that creates pretty good pages, Macrobject's chm-2-html, but it costs $300 for a pro license, and $100 for a personal one, which is a bit high. Especially since I wouldn't be using any of the more advanced features the software offers.

So, does anyone know of any free programs that generate a decent looking single page from a chm file? I've got all platforms available, windows, mac, and linux, so whatever you're using, I can too.

I don't know if BD can handle chmdecoder's output, but if it can, I don't know how to do it. I've done single page docs with BD before, and the result is great. But, with multi-page docs, I'm lost.

Any ideas or tips?
drogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:43 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
When I have needed it, I have used ABC Amber's CHM Converter. (OK, I have used a lot of ABC Amber's products and found them to be great value for the money.) Their web site is here.

It will produce a single HTML file output as well as many other formats. It is free to try and if you want to purchase it the price is $19.95 for a single copy (cheaper if purchased as part of a bundle. I have many of their products -- both free and for fee -- and have found them extremely useful.

I have no relation to the company other than as a customer for several years.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
drogo
Connoisseur
drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-500
Yeah, I've tried that one before, but with a recent development as of yesterday (changing jobs) I no longer have a windows machine. But I've been thinking about building a virtual server, so I might have one back in a bit.

$20 isn't too bad, and the Amber tools do work well. I had passed on them when I saw they didn't go straight to LRF. I think my reasoning was that if I had to pay for a solution, I wanted it to do all the steps.

The upgrade when they do finally implement the chm --> LRF should be free right? I'll check that out.

Thanks for jogging my memory about them!
drogo is offline   Reply With Quote