Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #16
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
... And the data.stgz exploit is plugged.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
... And the data.stgz exploit is plugged.
And they broke my source file audit automation.
A minor inconvenience but another indication they must be reading this site.
Perhaps it is time to block Amazon/lab126 in the site's .htaccess file?

Naw, that would be playing the game their way.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #18
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

... I think the /var/local/custom_screensavers folder (and the jar that uses it /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/CustomScreensavers.jar) are there just to make me hate them, don't you think? ^^

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-07-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #19
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Rename it to a.1 - Amazon style directory names.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #20
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Is it time yet to start using my "secret" jailbreak method?

Just drop two files on USB, then boot to diags with MfgTool or imx_usb_loader. Then select diags menu item to trigger the jailbreak...

I gave it to a few of the devs here. If agreed (let me know), I will release my "5.3.0 Jailbreak". Unfortunately, because ENABLE_DIAGS is no longer useful, it is a "tethered jailbreak" (requires a USB cable to boot to diags)...

EDIT: I was relying on the USB networking hack to go to diags. What now?

EDIT: The DMCA exclusion for jailbreaking will no longer be allowed for tablets and ereaders purchased starting January 2013. So if we are going to release a new jailbreak, we should do it before then. Strangely, the DMCA exlusion will remain in effect allowing cellphones (such as iphone) but not tablets (such as ipod touch) to be jailbroken. Details here:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-insp...2012-26308.pdf

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-07-2012 at 05:42 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #21
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@geekmaster: Won't help, the (main) rootfs is wiped during the 5.3.0 update.

(Unless my memory's shaky and you can use it on a vanilla device, without ENABLE_DIAGS support?)

EDIT: On a somewhat related note, one convoluted way to update to 5.3.0 for devs would be to boot to diags, flash the rootfs & kernel from the unpacked update, and manually reapply the jailbreak/usbnet on main. The entry point is plugged, but AFAICT, if we manage to put the stuff back in, most of the simple things should still work. If you mess up, you potentially only get one shot, though, ;D.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-07-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #22
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Is it time yet to start using my "secret" jailbreak method?

Just drop two files on USB, then boot to diags with MfgTool or imx_usb_loader. Then select diags menu item to trigger the jailbreak...

I gave it to a few of the devs here. If agreed (let me know), I will release my "5.3.0 Jailbreak". Unfortunately, because ENABLE_DIAGS is no longer useful, it is a "tethered jailbreak" (requires a USB cable to boot to diags)...
Tethered jailbreak is good enough for me. Actually, any kind is as long as it works

Can't wait to test your method on my device.
dos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #23
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@geekmaster: Won't help, the (main) rootfs is wiped during the 5.3.0 update.

(Unless my memory's shaky and you can use it on a vanilla device, without ENABLE_DIAGS support?)

EDIT: Well, one convoluted way to update to 5.3.0 for devs would be to boot to diags, flash the rootfs & kernel from the unpacked update, and manually reapply the jailbreak/usbnet on main. The entry point is plugged, but AFAICT, if we manage to put the stuff back in, most of the simple things should still work. If you mess up, you potentially only get one shot, though, ;D.
Damn! I keep FORGETTING that we do not have USB Downloader mode (so no MfgTool or imx_usb_loader).

I was relying on USB networking to us the idme command to change to diags.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #24
geekmaster

Does anybody know how to boot to diags on a paperwhite that does NOT already have USB networking installed? My jailbreak only works in diags.

Now I am afraid to install the 5.3.0 update, until I know how to revert to 5.2.0.

I suppose we will have to use serial port debricking on 5.3.0 until we discover a better way...
Old 11-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #25
knc1
Going Viral

Might be time for this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...86&postcount=3
Old 11-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #26
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
... I think the /var/local/custom_screensavers folder (and the jar that uses it /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/CustomScreensavers.jar) are there just to make me hate them, don't you think? ^^
Maybe.

But it also looks like there is official capability for custom screensavers with possible automatic downloading (from Amazon?) or removing by ToDo commands (i.e. by Amazon's "push notifications").

Or, at least, prototype of it.

EDIT: I mean I've looked into a new code a bit and it's a valid conclusion. (/var/local/custom_screensavers is aslo known to Blanket module for displaying screensavers.)

Last edited by eureka; 11-07-2012 at 06:19 PM.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #27
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So... there's no known way to downgrade I guess? :/
Old 11-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #28
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
So... there's no known way to downgrade I guess? :/
Give us a few hours at least before giving up.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #29
dos1
20% cooler.

Well, I won't throw away my device, I will always be open to new propositions

I also have unpacked 5.3.0 firmware and I'm looking for anything I could use to at least perform some manual fiddling with files on rootfs, but without any luck yet. The only idea that came into my mind was to use custom fonts handling from /mnt/us/fonts to exploit some libfreetype vulnerability (it seemed to have problems with segfaults on some custom fonts in older firmwares), but that would be real, assembly-level hacking and I lack proper knowledge to do that.

But I'm still trying.

PS. Anyone knows how Amazon's ToDo service works and what it can do? I wonder if some kind of self-man-in-the-middle attack between Amazon and our Kindles could help with forcing Kindle to do something. For instance, if only we could put some file in /etc/upstart, then we could run any script from /mnt/us on boot.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #30
knc1
Going Viral

Number one requirement of the first step:
It has to be something that is not required to be signed.

If uboot over the serial port can be accessed, anything is possible.