Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
stranjer
n00b
stranjer began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
Time to upgrade prs 505.Help !!

Hi guys.

I have the feeling that, my prs 505 will not work for much longer and I'm thinking to get a replacement.

The thing is since I bought the 505, there are about a 1000 different e readers on the market so any advice would be very helpful.

ps. my girlfriend wants one as well (she doesn't really care about brands as long as cheap and i need to get that as well so please HELP!!!
stranjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
One of the kobo or nook models is probably the right thing for you. While the Kindle Paperwhite is very nice, you'd need to convert your existing books to work with it.

I really like the look of the kobo mini. I have a CyBook Opus that uses the same screen, and a touch version sounds ideal.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't go for a Kindle as a Kindle will not handle ePub. If the price is OK and the device is available to you, go for an Onyx i62HD. If that won't do, you could go for a T2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
stranjer
n00b
stranjer began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Don't go for a Kindle as a Kindle will not handle ePub. If the price is OK and the device is available to you, go for an Onyx i62HD. If that won't do, you could go for a T2.
I was just looking at the T2 actually but, it's the first time I hear about this Onyx...hmmm seems nice.
stranjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
stay away from the T1. I have one and use it, but I like my 505 better.
The reason I like it better is that it has page turn buttons ON THE SIDE. Which is important to me
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
I have the i62HD and love it. It has become my favorite
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
stay away from the T1. I have one and use it, but I like my 505 better.
The reason I like it better is that it has page turn buttons ON THE SIDE. Which is important to me
The page turn buttons are worthless. The touch screen is very nice on the T1 and you won't miss using page turn buttons.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The page turn buttons are worthless. The touch screen is very nice on the T1 and you won't miss using page turn buttons.
Worthless on the T1, for sure.

But "won't miss using page turn buttons", I haven't found that to be true at all. I don't like swiping the screen, especially when I am eating and accidentally switch hands and get crap all over the screen. Much easier to wipe off a button than a whole "schmeer" on a screen.

but others love touch screens. So I guess the OP will just have to try and find out
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Most people who have tried the IR touch like it more then they thought they would.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #10
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
With the Kobo you can tap on the screen to turn and you can configure where you want to tap to go forward and go back. You can swipe too if you absolutely want large smudges all over your screen.

I recently upgraded from a 505 to a Kobo and I'm happy with my purchase so far. I think the Nook is fairly similar and both are quite cheap. I think the current Sony readers are a bit more expensive.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:18 AM   #11
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Personally I'd get a refurbed / used T1. There are lots of sources. Don't pay top dollar. All e-readers are poor quality manufacture these days.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote