Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 07:40 AM   #1
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Kindle Touch Dictionary woes

I have three dictionaries installed on my reader. The default English as well as a Spanish and German dictionary. I loaded a Spanish book and tried to look up a word. I got the "Dictionary not found for this book's language." I loaded the book in Calibre. Made sure to check the language. Downloaded to Kindle and tried again. No luck. Then I set the default dictionary to Spanish. Still no luck. Any ideas?
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:58 AM   #2
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Which Spanish dictionary are you trying to use? Make sure you have the language metadata correctly set to Spanish in your Spanish books.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm using the same dictionary that I used on my k3. The Marian Webster Spanish English that I bought from Amazon. I set the language to spanish in Calibre and it shows as Spanish.

What worries me is that I cannot force use of a dictionary like I could on the K3. I am stuck with the device's choice.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Stingo
Fanatic

Called Amazon support and was told that the Touch would only look up words in English and not in alternate languages. I have to hope that the support person doesn't know what they are talking about.

Unless I can find a solution this is a deal killer since I need the multi-language support.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I believe the K4 has this support but that is so disappointing it was removed from the Touch because when I bought a K4 it came with several dictionaries in foreign languages. Does the Touch as well?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
Andyp133
Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Sony PRS 505, PRS 350, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
I have three dictionaries installed on my reader. The default English as well as a Spanish and German dictionary. I loaded a Spanish book and tried to look up a word. I got the "Dictionary not found for this book's language." I loaded the book in Calibre. Made sure to check the language. Downloaded to Kindle and tried again. No luck. Then I set the default dictionary to Spanish. Still no luck. Any ideas?

How about giving some of your money to Sony once again?
Andyp133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Called Amazon support and was told that the Touch would only look up words in English and not in alternate languages. I have to hope that the support person doesn't know what they are talking about.

Unless I can find a solution this is a deal killer since I need the multi-language support.
Man, Amazon really cut corners to get the price down:
  • no wall charger
  • no landscape mode
  • no free 3G web browsing
  • no foreign language dictionary support
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:

Oh No!! That may be a deal breaker for me too. We'll see how I like my KT otherwise. It comes today.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyp133 View Post
How about giving some of your money to Sony once again?
This has been a paid Sony's ad by Andyp133 , Mobileread user and Sony's fan.

jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Man, Amazon really cut corners to get the price down:
  • no wall charger
  • no landscape mode
  • no free 3G web browsing
  • no foreign language dictionary support
Hey, are you sure about no landscape mode????
Old 11-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Hey, are you sure about no landscape mode????
There isn't it all over the blogs and forums. It's really shocking they removed it.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:37 AM   #12
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
There isn't it all over the blogs and forums. It's really shocking they removed it.

No! No! It can't be ... how do I suppose to read my programming books, portrait?

If that's true, I will keep my Kindle 3G keyboard until I get my 1st grand child.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

No! No! It can't be ... how do I suppose to read my programming books, portrait?

If that's true, I will keep my Kindle 3G keyboard until I get my 1st grand child.
It's true but the K4 has it. I don't know why the Touch doesn't.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #14
sbeckett
sbeckett began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 and others
Dictionary Issue

On the dictionary issue, there seems to be a difference between K3 and earlier, on the one hand and K4 and Touch on the other. On K3 and earlier you can purchase a compatible dictionary (e.g., Merriam Webster Spanish-English) and then set it as your primary (see Kindle Support-->Kindle Keyboard-->Customize Your Reading-->Choosing Your Primary Dictionary). K4and Touch, by contrast, include access to several dictionaries out of the box--one for each of several languages--but limit your ability to change primary dictionary to those preselected dictionaries (see Kindle Support-->Kindle-->Customize Your Reading-->Changing Your Primary Dictionary). Unfortunately, the preselected dictionaries, though good ones for the respective languages, are not translation dictionaries (eg, no Spanish-English, only Spanish-Spanish). I've emailed Amazon to confirm this--awaiting a reply. I can probably deal with using a Spanish-Spanish dictionary and I appreciate having such a good one (the Academia Real) available with the price of the e-reader, but there is a little less optionality.
sbeckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #15
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
Oh No!! That may be a deal breaker for me too. We'll see how I like my KT otherwise. It comes today.
That's a deal breaker for me too. No doubt. It's the dumbest move by Amazon ever

Last edited by thebestjeter; 11-16-2011 at 11:57 AM.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, kindle touch