Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
The website also lists devices that are supported. Rooted NC is not there so I can't just contact support and say it's not working on my rooted NC.

I'm waiting to hear from people who have the app on their Android phone or an officially supported Android tablet to chime in. If the app works on these devices then it's an app that just won't work on a rooted NC.
OK. I'm hoping B&N officially adds this app, since it is a reading function.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:37 PM   #17
bilbothejust
Enthusiast
bilbothejust is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad -> Nook Color
Quote:
I figured that was the issue. Darn is right.
Per your advice I downloaded Overdrive to my NC and with DropBox setup with my Calibre library I am able to download the book (epub) to my NC from DropBox and open with either Aldiko -OR- Overdrive...although I sort of like Aldiko's menu options for reading better.

So, you can read epub's with Overdrive on the NC
bilbothejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #18
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbothejust View Post
Per your advice I downloaded Overdrive to my NC and with DropBox setup with my Calibre library I am able to download the book (epub) to my NC from DropBox and open with either Aldiko -OR- Overdrive...although I sort of like Aldiko's menu options for reading better.

So, you can read epub's with Overdrive on the NC
That's good to know, but I think the distinction is non-DRM epubs . Now if we can figure out how to download library books with Overdrive.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #19
emt
Nameless Being

How to Associate Files w/Overdrive

I am using the following method on a rooted NC and using either Aldiko or Overdrive Media Console with no probs whatsoever. I use these because I like to read my epubs in landscape mode and for some totally inexplicable reason the BN reader can't do this!

You must have Astro File Manager installed (free in the Market). Astro allows you to add new file extensions by the following preferences:

Astro settings>Data>Edit File Extensions>New

Extension Name: epub (no period)
MIME Type: application
Subtype: epub

Then Save

Now when you double-click on the ebook file it will ask for whatever reading program you want to use to read, i.e., the reading app that is on your Nook Color. If you have Desktop Visualizer installed (also free in the Market) you can even make a shortcut for your book on your [rooted] Home Screen, e.g., I am using Zeam launcher for my home screen.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #20
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
I am using the following method on a rooted NC and using either Aldiko or Overdrive Media Console with no probs whatsoever. I use these because I like to read my epubs in landscape mode and for some totally inexplicable reason the BN reader can't do this!

You must have Astro File Manager installed (free in the Market). Astro allows you to add new file extensions by the following preferences:

Astro settings>Data>Edit File Extensions>New

Extension Name: epub (no period)
MIME Type: application
Subtype: epub

Then Save

Now when you double-click on the ebook file it will ask for whatever reading program you want to use to read, i.e., the reading app that is on your Nook Color. If you have Desktop Visualizer installed (also free in the Market) you can even make a shortcut for your book on your [rooted] Home Screen, e.g., I am using Zeam launcher for my home screen.

Have you discovered a way to associate library books (ADE epub) with Overdrive? Ralban mentioned that perhaps the issue is the file name not being automatically associated with Overdrive. Overdrive is supposed to work with ADE epub books now. When you go to download a library book the web browser just returns junk.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #21
emt
Nameless Being

Overdrive Epubs

I am using Overdrive Media Console on my rooted Nook. First, after I downloaded it from the Market, I activated it (from my PC using Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit) with Adobe Digital Editions.

Overdrive books are in Adobe Epub format.

I then have download books from my local library - for example I am currently reading "The Spy" by Clive Cussler. I D/L the book to my PC and throw it in my Dropbox - when I open the book in Dropbox on the Nook Color, it automatically asks if I want to read it in the Overdrive Reader (i.e., the Overdrive Media Console) or in the BN reader - I choose Overdrive so I can read in landscape.

I suppose you could also use Dolphin browser on the Nook Color to directly D/L books (or to Dropbox) but I have not tried this yet - the way I'm doing it works well for me and is simple.

This also works with Overdrive audio books so you can D/L them to the Nook also.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #22
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
I am using Overdrive Media Console on my rooted Nook. First, after I downloaded it from the Market, I activated it (from my PC using Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit) with Adobe Digital Editions.

Overdrive books are in Adobe Epub format.

I then have download books from my local library - for example I am currently reading "The Spy" by Clive Cussler. I D/L the book to my PC and throw it in my Dropbox - when I open the book in Dropbox on the Nook Color, it automatically asks if I want to read it in the Overdrive Reader (i.e., the Overdrive Media Console) or in the BN reader - I choose Overdrive so I can read in landscape.

I suppose you could also use Dolphin browser on the Nook Color to directly D/L books (or to Dropbox) but I have not tried this yet - the way I'm doing it works well for me and is simple.

This also works with Overdrive audio books so you can D/L them to the Nook also.
OK, thanks for the explanation. A few of us were hoping to use the Overdrive app to access library books on the go without the use of a computer first. For instance, if I receive an email from my library informing me that a book is now available for checkout, if I'm not at my computer I can just use the Overdrive app to access my library account and download directly the rooted NOOKcolor. This functionality is supposed to be available, but it's not working.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:20 PM   #23
emt
Nameless Being

I'll Try later Tonight..

Maybe if I download using a Nook Color browser, it could work. I have Dolphin HD installed and I want to try out Opera. I'll report later tonight
Old 12-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #24
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Quote:
OK, thanks for the explanation. A few of us were hoping to use the Overdrive app to access library books on the go without the use of a computer first. For instance, if I receive an email from my library informing me that a book is now available for checkout, if I'm not at my computer I can just use the Overdrive app to access my library account and download directly the rooted NOOKcolor. This functionality is supposed to be available, but it's not working.
Exactly. On a regular (non rooted) Android phone, you don't have to use dropbox or sideload the Overdrive books, it downloads directly to the phone from the Overdrive app.

I'm really hoping that BN adds this functionality in the update next month.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #25
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
Rooting.....

Sounds like something I'll need to look into....And lucky for me, it seems this is the place to figure it out......
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #26
emt
Nameless Being

Browser Doesn't Work for D/L

I tried both the stock browser and Dolphin HD - neither works and Dolphin downloads but all I see is the header/text file.

I don't understand why rooting changes the Overdrive console behavior - maybe someone more familiar w/Android can explain.
For now, I guess we have to have an intermediate computer to install epubs.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:24 AM   #27
KBMN
KBMN has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: NookColor
When you get the text in your browser, in Dolphin-Browser HD, select menu, more, save page. In Astro file manager, go to /sdcard/download, or wherever, and you'll see the name of the download, title.ascm. Click on it, and *voila*, it opens the file with Overdrive, the loads the title. I just did it for the first time.. Pretty slick! Why buy a book, when library epub and Nook Color.
KBMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:42 AM   #28
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMN View Post
When you get the text in your browser, in Dolphin-Browser HD, select menu, more, save page. In Astro file manager, go to /sdcard/download, or wherever, and you'll see the name of the download, title.ascm. Click on it, and *voila*, it opens the file with Overdrive, the loads the title. I just did it for the first time.. Pretty slick! Why buy a book, when library epub and Nook Color.
UNBELIEVABLE!!! It works. Wow. How did you figure this out?

For some reason the file downloads as a .ascm file, but when I go to access it via Astro the extension changed to .html. Had to change the extension back to .ascm so that Overdrive would automatically open it. Maybe I need to add that extension to Astro.

Wow...

Last edited by SCION; 12-24-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #29
ralban
ralban began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Eureka! My first attempt resulted in an error message from Overdrive. But I changed Overdrive to store media on the SDcard instead of the internal memory and was able to successfully download and open an epub.

Now my rooted nook color is now the ultimate ereader:
B&N
Amazon Kindle
Google Books
Kobo
Overdrive
All without having to sideload com a computer!
ralban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:40 AM   #30
ralban
ralban began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Duplicate, posting from my nook.

Last edited by ralban; 12-24-2010 at 09:43 AM. Reason: duplicate
ralban is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook color, overdrive