Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2006, 01:33 PM   #31
bostonte
Enthusiast
bostonte began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
The latest beta build from Parallels introduces a few interesting features. It's not linked from their main page, go to forums.parallels.com and it's a sticky in the Parallels for Mac subforum.

Supposedly it also includes some fixes for the MacBook users and USB devices (maybe the problems people here are having?).

Drag and drop files and folders between the OS'es (good for me since I generate my files in Mac and this makes it simple to drop them over to put them on my reader).

Also "Convergence", which at this point is a bit of a cludge hack -- but basically makes the windows desktop disappear so it looks like the applications are running natively. I can see this improving as Parallels works at it to get even better integration (not that I'm not thrilled with what we have now).
bostonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:14 PM   #32
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
I know everyone it talking about using Parallels, but I'm using an older eMac with Virtual PC. As of now I am running Windows 98 in Virtual PC, but I can upgrade to Windows XP, but I wasn't sure if the connect would work or not so I was putting off upgrading.

I only use the windows stuff for some conversion programs. Of course, I know that CONNECT doesn't work with Windows 98, but I was just wondering if anyone had any luck with Virtual PC/Windows XP...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:05 PM   #33
adinb
RSS & Gadget Addict!
adinb is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500, iPod Touch, iPhone
So far I haven't had any luck in Virtual PC. The Reader itself is recognized, but the Sony Connect software just doesn't seem to want to start.

If anyone can get the software going in Virtual PC, please drop me a line.

-a
adinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:22 PM   #34
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
In the meantime, you might try the OSX version of biblioskop that's being discussed here, if you like.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:29 PM   #35
adinb
RSS & Gadget Addict!

Yep, I'm trying it as we speak on my C2D iMac, but no joy. The reader just isn't showing up in the devices section.

I'm playing with importing my OPML file, I may need to get ahold of one of those 4GB cards
Old 02-15-2007, 06:46 PM   #36
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by adinb
Yep, I'm trying it as we speak on my C2D iMac, but no joy. The reader just isn't showing up in the devices section.

I'm playing with importing my OPML file, I may need to get ahold of one of those 4GB cards
Virtual PC doesn't run on a C2D iMac, you need Parallels with XP SP2 installed. Vista is still squirrely so I've left my CONNECT Software under XP SP2.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:47 PM   #37
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That's too bad. You might want to try a smaller SD card than a 4GB one, with the Reader's alphabetically sorted flat file system, finding something amongst 4GB worth of files on the card will be a pain. And since the Reader indexes the card's entire contents upon insertion, your wait time for that might get just a bit ... extended.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:49 PM   #38
adinb
RSS & Gadget Addict!

Uhm, yeah.

I have a G4PB that I run Virtual PC on, and I have a C2D Imac that I am running Biblioskop on.

I've avoided picking up parallels to date b/c I like keeping my ICBM clean.

So, anyways, back to the problem on *either* platform. :P

@Natch: sorry, I forgot the /sarcasm tag. I just got my PRS-500 last night, so I haven't had a chance to pick up a SD card for it yet. I was mainly ragging on myself for my *quite* large OPML/feedlists (~1000). I could regularly fill the 2GB card on my old Palm T|X using Lauren's Sunrise app. (until I switched over to OSX, that is )

[Edit: After playing musical USB ports, I finally got Biblioskop to recognize the PRS-500. It seems to need to be on the *first* port on the machine, and it doesn't seem to hurt if its the only USB device plugged in. I threw about 300 RSS feeds on the main memory without any issue.]

-a

Last edited by adinb; 02-15-2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:41 PM   #39
jsuplido
@jsuplido
jsuplido began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-300
Just adding that I'm another happy Parallels user (on a MacBook Pro). I've since uninstalled Boot Camp after successfully running our work apps via Parallels. I'm happy too because I was able to install CONNECT (I installed the downloadable version) and was able to update the Reader's firmware without problems.
jsuplido is offline   Reply With Quote