Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-10-2007, 06:23 PM   #61
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I think another possible consideration is that people who buy ebook readers are not a typical cross-section of the population, at this point. I would venture to guess they are generally more technical than the population at large, which may affect which OS they use. (Of course, it could also affect how many systems they might have access to-- at this point, probably most people who have Linux running on a machine have a license for some flavor of Windows on that box-- but it could be pretty old. How new does the version of Windows have to be to support Connect?)

I'm not trying to get into the whole Mac vs. PC thing, just speculating on how the usual demographic numbers might or might not fit the ebook reader population.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:26 PM   #62
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I run Linux on all my machines. I happens to have Windows XP on the laptop I am writing this on but this is only for emergencies and buying a book is not an emergency worth rebooting the computer for.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2007, 04:59 AM   #63
ashalan
Connoisseur
ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3
As for using Windows Only Software ...

... anybody tried to use Mobipocket Reader and Sony's Software (Connect?) with Wine?

Been using Wine under Linux sucessfully to even play games and as far as I know Wine should also work for Apples running OSX+ (it's Unix after all).

So maybe anybody can give it a shot.
ashalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 11:54 AM   #64
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashalan View Post
... anybody tried to use Mobipocket Reader and Sony's Software (Connect?) with Wine?

Been using Wine under Linux sucessfully to even play games and as far as I know Wine should also work for Apples running OSX+ (it's Unix after all).

Feel free. MobiReader is a free download.

Being one of those with a Windoze household, this isn't a problem for me. Although I'm just about ready to buy an iMac to test out for myself.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:00 PM   #65
ashalan
Connoisseur
ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Feel free. MobiReader is a free download.

Being one of those with a Windoze household, this isn't a problem for me. Although I'm just about ready to buy an iMac to test out for myself.

Derek
No Linux installed anywhere currently and since all the software I need runs on windows and I use windows at work I cannot be bothered to install Linux, to be honest

Was just trying to push the people affected by the issue toward a possible solution
ashalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2007, 12:14 PM   #66
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The problem for wine may be USB support.

In any case, I think MobiPocket should pay CodeWeavers to port their Windows Reader to OSX and Linux under wine. This would most likely only provide a Desktop solution (not a Linux handheld device solution), but would greatly improve their image for (probably) not much money.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:25 PM   #67
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The problem for wine may be USB support.

In any case, I think MobiPocket should pay CodeWeavers to port their Windows Reader to OSX and Linux under wine. This would most likely only provide a Desktop solution (not a Linux handheld device solution), but would greatly improve their image for (probably) not much money.
Might be a good idea. However, think for a minute... Bookeen already *has* the information for Mobipocket's format, legally. And they've already made their internal reader capable of opening and displaying Secure Mobipocket ebooks. What's to prevent them from making a Linux Desktop version MobiReader? Or for that matter, a Mac OS/X version?

Bookeen, are you listening???

Derek
Old 11-11-2007, 12:32 PM   #68
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
What's to prevent them from making a Linux Desktop version MobiReader? Or for that matter, a Mac OS/X version?
The contract they signed with Mobipocket.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:47 PM   #69
IreneDelse
Groupie
IreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3 & Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I'll second that!

I guess that, as a third party, Bookeen have access to enough Mobipocket info to develop Mobi support on their device, but to develop a concurrent Mobi reader software would be a breach of contract.

Now, I do hope Mobipocket is paying attention to the input from us Cybook buyers who who would like to have a Mobipocket reader software compatible with their Apple or Linux personal computer...
IreneDelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #70
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by IreneDelse View Post
I'll second that!

I guess that, as a third party, Bookeen have access to enough Mobipocket info to develop Mobi support on their device, but to develop a concurrent Mobi reader software would be a breach of contract.

Now, I do hope Mobipocket is paying attention to the input from us Cybook buyers who who would like to have a Mobipocket reader software compatible with their Apple or Linux personal computer...
The Windows version (what you really want) is a lot different from the version that Bookeen has. It has the manager stuff and the conversion stuff built in. No other version from MobiPocket has that extra portion of the reader.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:19 PM   #71
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
But what I meant to express was that since they *have* signed a contract with Mobipocket *and* they already know how the Secure Mobi format works, as well as how Linux works, what's to prevent them from doing the port *FOR* Mobipocket? Other than Mobipocket's desire to do so in house?

Derek
Old 11-11-2007, 05:05 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashalan View Post

Been using Wine under Linux successfully to even play games and as far as I know Wine should also work for Apples running OSX+ (it's Unix after all).

Wine is a good idea to the Ebook Library with. But do not use Wine to upgrade the firmware. You have a good chance of bricking. You'll need a true Windows system. An emulated Windows may not always have the USB timing needed for a critical application such as a firmware upgrade.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #73
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Updating firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Wine is a good idea to the Ebook Library with. But do not use Wine to upgrade the firmware. You have a good chance of bricking. You'll need a true Windows system. An emulated Windows may not always have the USB timing needed for a critical application such as a firmware upgrade.
I haven't received my Cybook yet (sigh) but I was under the impression that the firmware was updated from the SD card.

Bob
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:06 PM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Someone mentioned using Ebook Library under Wine. Nothing to do with the Gen3's firmware updates.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:11 PM   #75
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
So has anyone been contacted about purchase details or possible ship dates? I signed up on the list but I'm wondering if I just somehow got overlooked. Any word on if we're going to have to wait until December?
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote