Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook > PocketBook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-21-2023, 05:16 PM   #1
imustafin
imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Pocketbook X (1040), Pocketbook 602 pro
PBDoom - Doom for PocketBook

As you might know, there is an old video back from 2011 of Doom being played on a PB360+. In fact, it was the PB guys who adapted PrBoom for PB during a lunch break (original message from the-ebook forum archived). I believe they did not release the game, only the short video.

We did something similar and called it PBDoom. You can download it from the project's website. The source code is available on GitHub.

Please note that to play the game you would need the WAD files.

P.S. Currently we are preparing a new release with reworked touch-oriented controls. You can grab the development version and see the discussion in the related issue. Everyone is very welcome to participate there or on this forum.
imustafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 12:11 PM   #2
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]

Plays surprisingly well.

Any chance you could add left and right strafe?

Last edited by neil_swann80; 05-22-2023 at 12:35 PM.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 08:40 AM   #3
imustafin
imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes, strafing is almost here.

We spent some time trying to find the best way to implement it. The discussion is in the issue #7 (or you can simply download the latest version with strafing).

What do you think about such joystick controls?
Old 05-23-2023, 12:05 PM   #4
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had a quick scan through Issue #7, saw the screenshot at the end which showed the "Movement" panel which I'm assuming is a sort of trackpad like joystick? If so, I definitely like that as an option!

Your last link (strafing version) 404s for me.
Old 05-23-2023, 12:18 PM   #5
imustafin

Hmm... the link works for me. It is the same download as the one in the last message in the issue.

Yes, Movement and Turn are like fixed joysticks/trackpads.

Anyways, to make it easier I attach the same zip here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip pbdoom-391f3d5.zip (177.9 KB, 88 views)
Old 05-23-2023, 12:44 PM   #6
neil_swann80

Sorry, my fault. I log into github from a different browser, so wasn't signed in. The link works fine once signed in.

The joystick movement makes gameplay far better, nice job!

Would it be possible to make the left/right turn buttons into something similar? But just a single axis version?

Last edited by neil_swann80; 05-23-2023 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 12:57 PM   #7
imustafin

Left/Right is already a singe axis joystick, maybe it's just too sensitive right now.

Do you think it is playable in the current state?

I am thinking about releasing a new version as is right now and work soon on sensitivity configuration.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:03 PM   #8
neil_swann80

Quote:
Originally Posted by imustafin View Post
Left/Right is already a singe axis joystick, maybe it's just too sensitive right now.

Do you think it is playable in the current state?

I am thinking about releasing a new version as is right now and work soon on sensitivity configuration.
Ah, I was just tapping either side. After properly testing I'd say it could do with being wider (perhaps make weapon selection buttons a 2x4 column to save a little space). Maybe expand the less sensitive area (of the left/right trackpad) in the middle out further too? Or whatever coordinate you thumb touches on the left/right pad is the zero point, then the distance slid/dragged from that point determines speed of turn?

Enemies can be a little tricky to see when further away (on my PB632, 6" screen). Can the textures be made less visible for a more basic wire-frame type view to aid clarity? Toggle textures, or slider bar for texture visibility?

Maybe consider having the left/right trackpad bottom right, with the control/fire above? This would seem more natural for me as it's closer to the positioning of most gamepads (buttons above right joystick).

It's definitely playable... seriously cool to be playing Doom on an ereader!

Last edited by neil_swann80; 05-23-2023 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 02:56 PM   #9
imustafin

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
I'd say it could do with being wider (perhaps make weapon selection buttons a 2x4 column to save a little space)
Makes sense, I agree. The problem is that I have only a 10" device myself, so it is a bit hard to imagine the usability on smaller screens.
Quote:
Maybe expand the less sensitive area (of the left/right trackpad) in the middle out further too? Or whatever coordinate you thumb touches on the left/right pad is the zero point, then the distance slid/dragged from that point determines speed of turn?
We might add a configurable deadzone or some non-linearity to turn speed. I'll try to make some examples/prototypes.
Quote:
Enemies can be a little tricky to see when further away (on my PB632, 6" screen). Can the textures be made less visible for a more basic wire-frame type view to aid clarity? Toggle textures, or slider bar for texture visibility?
Yeah, this is what I wanted to do long time ago. I'll explore what can be done in the source code.

On the other hand, we can try to find/make a specialized black and white WAD. For examples, https://www.doomworld.com/files/file...n-black-white/ and https://onemandoom.blogspot.com/2017...ite-bwwad.html. This is not exactly what we need but still....

Also, Have you seen the color settings menu? (It is in the ≡ menu).
Quote:
Maybe consider having the left/right trackpad bottom right, with the control/fire above? This would seem more natural for me as it's closer to the positioning of most gamepads (buttons above right joystick).
Makes sense. I'll try to make some prototypes here too.
Quote:
It's definitely playable... seriously cool to be playing Doom on an ereader!
Great! Happy that there is interest for this project!
Old 06-01-2023, 09:26 PM   #10
imustafin

For completeness' sake, I have made a new release with everything we've made so far.

It is the version we've been discussing in this thread but as a real release: PBDoom v0.0.5