Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-27-2007, 06:09 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Docudesk (Sony Reader) PRS Browser for OS X

Thanks to Scotty for pointing us to this little gem:

Quote:
The Docudesk PRS Browser allows Macintosh users to easily manage content on the Sony Reader using a native OS X interface.

Both internal and card memory locations are supported, and all natively-supported file types can be added and removed from the Reader (txt, lrf, pdf, rtf, bmp, gif, jpg, png, mp3, and aac) with simple drag and drop operations. You can even copy files from your Reader to a local drive.

This project is based on the ReaderFS file system for OSX. Special thanks to the author, Scott Turner, for his contributions. The PRS Browser is released under the GNU General Public License (GPL).
Link to download and sources: Docudesk Labs
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:30 PM   #2
texag
texag began at the beginning.

Ok....this is a great step in the right direction... I still wonder why Sony couldn't do this...

I've been holding off on buying a reader because I didn't want a difficult user experience. I wonder if this is enough to make a difference? I still want to purchase new fiction from the Sony Store.
texag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2007, 06:08 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you want to use the Sony Store, you will need to use Windows. If you have an Intel-based Mac, Sony's "Connect" software runs fine under Bootcamp or Parallels; alternatively you could pick up a cheap 2nd hand PC for the purpose; the hardware requirements of Connect are minimal - anything that runs XP will do fine.

There are, of course, many other sources of books than the "Connect" store.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:45 AM   #4
texag
texag began at the beginning.

Yep...that's the problem. I'll have to pay 349 for the Reader (don't mind that), then purchase Windows XP or a cheap 2nd hand PC. I just can't believe Sony can't put together a solution like Audible or Itunes.

I appreciate the many other sources for ebooks. However, I'd like to purchase the current best sellers. Seems like the Connect store is the only way to do that.
texag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:22 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are other ways to do it. For example, you can buy books as DRM-protected LIT files, and then use conversion tools to convert to other formats. This is perfectly legal for me to do in the UK but would not be, I believe, in the US, where removing copy-protection measure is a crime.
Advert
Old 04-28-2007, 08:31 AM   #6
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
Only problem with DRM lit files is that you'd require a Windows PC again.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:31 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultim8fury
Doh!

Good point .

There must be some DRM format that one can convert on a Mac, mustn't there? I've always used my PC (always been both a PC and a Mac user) for such things, so I'm afraid I'm not up to speed with what eBook format Mac folks buy.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:50 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultim8fury
I am not a Mac user, but would the information from this thread help by any chance?
Old 04-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
I am not a Mac user, but would the information from this thread help by any chance?
I doubt it as I doubt it would conver a DRM protected LIT file. Again, a Windows system is needed. to purcase the DRM LIT, break the DRM LIT so you can then use the conversion tools to convert it to HTML. Sorry, but I think unless you have access to Windows in some way, you are way screwed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:56 AM   #10
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
There is a handy little utility called "Lit2html" that is a drag-and-drop program for the Mac. It convert's LIT files into HTML and works great...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:07 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer
There is a handy little utility called "Lit2html" that is a drag-and-drop program for the Mac. It convert's LIT files into HTML and works great...
But will it handle DRM protected LIT files?
Old 04-29-2007, 01:03 PM   #12
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
But will it handle DRM protected LIT files?
I was assuming it did, but now that you bring it up, I don't know for sure. I'll try to find time to test it out...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:27 PM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote (emphasis mine):

"For MacOS X 10 users, I have been sent a compiled version of the ConvertLit binary. I am unable to test this, and feedback is welcome.

Convert Lit Compiled on MacOSX 10.3.5

It is unlikely that you will be able to download DRM5 titles to MacOSX, but if you can, you will need to obtain your keys from a Windows version of Reader once."
Old 04-29-2007, 04:37 PM   #14
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Of course *cough* using anything to remove DRM5 from a LIT is illegal in the USA *cough* up to 10 years in club fed *cough*

Just remember, this country is rapidly going Fahrenheit 451. They routinely grab all electronic devices because they know that if they don't nail you for what they thought you were doing, they're sure to find something to nail you for on one of your electronic devices.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:57 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
Of course *cough* using anything to remove DRM5 from a LIT is illegal in the USA *cough* up to 10 years in club fed *cough*

Just remember, this country is rapidly going Fahrenheit 451. They routinely grab all electronic devices because they know that if they don't nail you for what they thought you were doing, they're sure to find something to nail you for on one of your electronic devices.
Actually, it is legal to remove the DRM from LIT files since the DRM prevents the speech function from working. So you are allowed to remove the DRM to get the speech to work. So as long as the speech is disabled due to DRM, then removing the DRM is legal.