Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-07-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
rosspag
Enthusiast
rosspag knows the difference between a duck.rosspag knows the difference between a duck.rosspag knows the difference between a duck.rosspag knows the difference between a duck.rosspag knows the difference between a duck.rosspag knows the difference between a duck.rosspag knows the difference between a duck.rosspag knows the difference between a duck.rosspag knows the difference between a duck.rosspag knows the difference between a duck.rosspag knows the difference between a duck.

Device: Cybook gen3, Sony PRS-T1, Ipod Touch, Galaxy Tab 7.7
Dark bands at the bottom of the screen

Hy everybody,
i'm ross and i've got a Cybook gen3 (build 538) since may and absolutely love it. sometimes the bookmarks didn't work and there was the occasional freezing when the battery was around 10% but everything else worked fine until a couple of days ago when 2 ominous black stripes appeared at the bottom of the screen while the cybook was on and remained there when i switched it off too, after a while they just disappeared. today when i switched it on (the battery was up to 80%), there were 5 stripes at the bottom and a couple at the top, and their number increased as i flipped the pages. Panic, what now? i've made a reset (press the reset bottom) and now everything seems to work fine, but what if this happens another time? could it be a problem as the checkered screen? what can i do? i didn't update the firmware because the 538 build works just fine for me.
sorry for the poor english and thanks for your reply
bye
ross
rosspag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It sounds like a problem with the screen controller. If they are just horizontal bands, it's probably a warranty repair. I'd suggest that you e-mail "support@bookeen.com". They'll probably ask you to send them a photograph of your screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #3
rosspag
Enthusiast
rosspag knows the difference between a duck.rosspag knows the difference between a duck.rosspag knows the difference between a duck.rosspag knows the difference between a duck.rosspag knows the difference between a duck.rosspag knows the difference between a duck.rosspag knows the difference between a duck.rosspag knows the difference between a duck.rosspag knows the difference between a duck.rosspag knows the difference between a duck.rosspag knows the difference between a duck.

thank you HarryT for your prompt reply.
they are horizontal stripes.
i'm gonna wait a couple of days to see if this happens again, i hope this is not a problem requiring sending the cybook to france but if so i truly hope is something covered by the warranty!!!
bye ross
Old 10-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
rosspag
Enthusiast

hy,
my problem is back!!! i emailed the italian retailer where i bought it...wish me luck!!!
i've attached a couple of shoots...sorry for the poor quality but i made them with my mobile phone...let me know if someone else has the same problem.
bye
ross
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	07102008(004).jpg
Views:	392
Size:	327.6 KB
ID:	16877   Click image for larger version

Name:	07102008(005).jpg
Views:	423
Size:	615.8 KB
ID:	16878   Click image for larger version

Name:	07102008(006).jpg
Views:	403
Size:	519.9 KB
ID:	16879   Click image for larger version

Name:	device switched off.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	575.0 KB
ID:	16880  
Old 10-08-2008, 01:27 AM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Looks broken to me.

Yep. As the lines are so straight, I'd say you've got a broken display controller. Because that is part of the display module, you'll need to swap it out complete. Expect a 125 Euro fee for that. And it's just going to get worse.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I think from previous user experience, a display controller problem is a warranty repair. They'll charge 120€ for a screen replacement when it is the screen itself (or the glass substrate) what is broken, as this is supposedly a user "mishandling". Purely electronic problems are not blamed on the user, and are included in the warranty.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote