Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-18-2008, 04:55 AM   #1
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Observations/problems running Calibre under OS X

Just a few things I've noticed about Calibre on my PPC Mac: it works mostly just fine, except for one or two things.

Importing books individually and converting them to LRF seems to work just fine, however every time I've tried to convert more than one book at once (usually .lit files), calibre has hung up. To be precise: when I look at the 'active job list', the job currently under way is making no progress. (I click on the top job in the list, currently 'working', and the screen that comes up is blank: all it says is 'Log:' at the top).

But when I do one book at the time this happens less often - but still does occur every several books.

Also: when I attempt to stop a job by clicking the 'stop selected job' button, nothing ever happens. It appears to continue to try to process the book, but fails to do so.

However, if I then close calibre down and restart it, nine times out of ten that same book will process fine in no time at all.

Hope that's of some help.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What version of OS X are you running?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2008, 11:54 PM   #3
RandallFlagg
Hey Trashcan Man
RandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook color, prs 505, Axim x30, psp, Acer Aspire One [running xp]
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygibsonsf View Post
Just a few things I've noticed about Calibre on my PPC Mac: it works mostly just fine, except for one or two things.

Importing books individually and converting them to LRF seems to work just fine, however every time I've tried to convert more than one book at once (usually .lit files), calibre has hung up. To be precise: when I look at the 'active job list', the job currently under way is making no progress. (I click on the top job in the list, currently 'working', and the screen that comes up is blank: all it says is 'Log:' at the top).

But when I do one book at the time this happens less often - but still does occur every several books.

Also: when I attempt to stop a job by clicking the 'stop selected job' button, nothing ever happens. It appears to continue to try to process the book, but fails to do so.

However, if I then close calibre down and restart it, nine times out of ten that same book will process fine in no time at all.

Hope that's of some help.
I'm having the same problems here. I posted ticket 815 about the stop problem and Kovid said he'd fix it in the next release. Now for some reason today I can't get it to fetch info. I get an error Error fetching metadata: Internal Server Error. I can go directly to the site and I'm logged in. This is new. I'm on os x 10.4.11 I am using Calibre version 4.74. I missed 4.75 and have installed and used both .76 and .77, but for me they are too buggy. Books just constantly get hung up in a spin cycle
RandallFlagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:37 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the isbndb site is down. Try searching on it. I dont see the job related problems on my PPC mac running 10.4.11 any special step to reproduce them? I'm guessing it only happens when trying to convert more than one book?
Old 07-19-2008, 12:51 AM   #5
RandallFlagg
Hey Trashcan Man
RandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the info about the site. I went to the site to see if it was working and it was, but I guess that doesn't tell me it's not working in Calibre. As far as the books just running, its happened to me in bulk and with just one book converting. It seems to happen when I'm multitasking. If I start a conversion and then either add another book and edit meta or if I open a browser and then go back to Calibre. It's almost like it gets a hiccup in the conversion and it doesn't error out, it just spins the hour glass. I've left a couple on for a good half hour just to see if it would finish. It never finished and never error'ed. I clicked the hour glass to kill the process, but as we know, that doesn't work for me anymore So I close Calibre, reopen it and restart the conversion. In most cases it completes the book in seconds to minutes. Lastly, any idea when the fetch site will be back up and is there a way for me to see that its down. Thanks for the great tool. Oh, and I hope you got my pittance of a donation. When I get a few bucks, I'll send another so you can get a cup of joe
Advert
Old 07-19-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm OK I'm making various improvements to the IPC code, I'll post a link to an improved version here. I'd appreciate it if you could test it, since I cant really reproduce this behavior. isbndb.com is back now. And thanks for the donation, every little bit helps
Old 07-19-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

OK here's an updated version, test and let me know: http://theory.caltech.edu/~kovid/calibre-0.4.77.dmg
Old 07-19-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
RandallFlagg
Hey Trashcan Man

Just downloaded and installed it. I use it today and post back. for getting a updated version up so fast, hope you got some sleep I just converted 5 non drm prc's, 2 non drm lit's and a html file. I did all the things I used to [save a finished conversion while the next file is converting, surf the web, opened a word doc, etc.] It was able to complete all 8 files with no problem, except some slow downs and a few spinning rainbow wheels. Those are I sure my systems fault, [mac mini 1.25 ppc w/ 1 gb ram. booting off a mini stack firewire 400.] It's slow, but I still like osx for surfing the web. It keeps the windows machine away from infection I post later today with any other news. Thanks again and back to
Old 07-19-2008, 06:42 PM   #9
RandallFlagg
Hey Trashcan Man

Just a quick post, I was able to stop two books. One was a waiting job and the other a working job. I like that I can finish a waiting job if I find that I don't need to convert that book....whoo hoo
Old 07-19-2008, 07:37 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

glad to hear its working
Old 07-19-2008, 07:49 PM   #11
RandallFlagg
Hey Trashcan Man

Well, spoke too soon. It still is converting 95%. I've got one that hung up, but it's a zip file, so I may have something in there I shouldn't. I'll remove any baggage and rezip it. Also the kill doesn't work again. It worked the one time and now it just unhighlights the working book. I don't get it, if it worked, it should work all the time...huh Anyway, I've had enough conversion time for the day. I'll try some more tomorrow
Old 07-19-2008, 09:01 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Kill processes is a little dicey, they sometimes refuse to die. Try hittin stop a couple of times.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:51 AM   #13
RandallFlagg
Hey Trashcan Man

You just had to go release 4.78. I was planning on sticking with the version you linked to above, but the added button to reverse title and author is a bit too much to pass up. I downloaded the new version, but haven't installed it yet. What do you think, stick it out with the version you linked me to or try the new one. Thanks again.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:55 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

the versions are more or less identical. Both have the IPC improvements and the swap button
Old 07-20-2008, 01:05 AM   #15
RandallFlagg
Hey Trashcan Man

I just checked and sure enough the button was right next to the text boxes. I'll use this one as it's working pretty good. again.