Notices

Old 11-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
imageraw
Connoisseur
imageraw began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-650
e-books off Amazon to Sony reader?

hello everyone,

sorry if I'm re-opening ancient wounds, but I don't seem to find any simple information about a) buying an e-book from Amazon, b) downloading to a Sony PRS-650, c) reading it.

The whole thing would seem (at least to me) ethically acceptable...ok, questions:

a) is it still necessary to remove the infamous "drm" to do what I want to do?
b) how can I do it (I'm on Linux Ubuntu + Calibre)?;
c) can anyone btw explain (if it's not too complicated) why it is seemingly legal to encrypt an e-book published by a third party and illegal to remove the encryption after acquiring the right to read it...

Sorry I sound so confused. It's a strange world.
imageraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Not all Amazon ebooks have DRM, but it isn't easy to tell. Books for Tor are DRM-free for example.

If you were on Windows or a Mac, the best approach would be to download via K4PC or K4Mac, and use Calibre with 3rd party plugins to strip DRM and convert to ePub. Under Linux, it may be possible to use K4PC under Wine but the details are likely to be important, and I don't know them.

I would say that DRM laws are a creation of large media companies, who have more influence than individual consumers on governments. However, in the US it probably isn't illegal to strip DRM from ebooks you bought for personal use.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
imageraw
Connoisseur

thanks wallcraft for your reply.

interesting discussion for those who're in the UK and are concerned about upsetting large media companies/the government:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/arc.../t-167517.html

still looking for a simple method to get rid of DRM from eBooks on sale on Amazon.co.uk if you're on Linux...any idea?
Old 11-19-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageraw View Post
still looking for a simple method to get rid of DRM from eBooks on sale on Amazon.co.uk if you're on Linux...any idea?
I have no idea, but my very helpful friend Apprentice Alf will probably have some good ideas. Why not talk to him?

And even if I knew how I couldn't tell you on the forum.

Last edited by AlexBell; 11-19-2012 at 12:24 AM. Reason: I had an esprit d'escalier
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #5
imageraw
Connoisseur

Thanks AlexBell. I'll check it out.

And even if I knew how I couldn't tell you on the forum...may I ask why?
Advert
Old 11-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageraw View Post
Thanks AlexBell. I'll check it out.

And even if I knew how I couldn't tell you on the forum...may I ask why?
Against the rules... clearly stated within them...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Though it has been stated by a moderator that one is allowed to mention Alf, and can give information by private message.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:36 AM   #8
imageraw
Connoisseur

Though it has been stated by a moderator that one is allowed to mention Alf, and can give information by private message.

so are Mobileread moderator encouraging doublethink? This is hilarious.