Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-28-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
dray20
dray20 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
A Short Survey About E-Books

Hello. I'm an international student and doing some marketing research. Please click on the link below to start a short survey on e-books. It will take just 5 minutes to complete, but will be most helpful for me. Thanks for your help.
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Z6PZHDF

Last edited by dray20; 10-28-2012 at 10:45 PM.
dray20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I've seen a number of such surveys here, and, like virtually all, some questions are leading or unanswerable.

Over what period of time will paper books possibly go away. Years? Centuries? Millions of years?

As for the question about how much an eBook should cost, this sounds like the just price theory from the middle ages. I make buying decisions, not pricing decisions. Publishers bear no loyalty to me. They should charge whatever maximizes revenue*. I suspect that in a decade or two, print books will be a small niche luxury market, and the price of an eBook will be a small fraction of the paper price. But I don't see justice as dictating any particular price, and feel the survey propagandizes an anti-market POV by failing to give a "none of my business" option.

* There might be some exception for literature essential to human health, like medical journals with government-funded research findings. Perhaps they should be provided for free. In this post, I am just thinking about general readership books.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
As Steve Eisenberg said, the survey itself seems a bit biased and leading towards a conclusion instead of looking for one.

Can't look at it again as I have completed it, but seemed sadly lacking in anything related to market research. Your instructor may get a good laugh.

It was very simple though.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I would've liked to see the question on "how do you read ebooks" to include answers like:
1) Currently-available Dedicated ebook reader, like Kindle, Kobo, Sony Reader, Nook Classic, Jetbook
2) Tablet, like iPad, KFire, Nook Color
3) Desktop/Laptop
4) Phone
5) Older dedicated ebook reader, like Rocketbook, Gemstar
6) Other device -- [include text field here]
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Welcome to MobileRead.

Rather than simply asking us to do a survey for you, why not become a part of our community by contributing your thoughts to the various forums and threads that you might find interesting?

Although we do have the occasional survey here from students who say they will let us know the results by posting, they rarely come through. They're here one moment and then gone forever.

Will you be any different?

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Survey completed. Good luck with the research.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
Well, survey completed and good luck with your work. It wasn't clear if you were comparing the price of ebooks to the price of paperbacks or hardbacks and there was no option to indicate that ebooks should be 100% of the price of printed books (or even more).
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't know about anybody else, but I can't wait for the first "What do you think about books being downloaded directly into your brain via a cortical shunt" survey to be posted by a marketing student. If only to break up the monotony of "The eBook Survey." Seriously, is it the equivalent of the "What I did on my summer vacation" report or what?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
dray20
dray20 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Thanks for your help and advices!
dray20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
1. Not everyone is male or female
2. Why aggregate everyone over 60 into one group, when all other adults are in five-year groups? You're missing a lot of potential granularity.
4. From "did not attend school" to "graduated from high school"? What about people who attended school but did not graduate high school?
5. You're missing a whole lot of languages. A write-in box would be better, if you can't do a drop-down.
6. Learn more about your topic before attempting to formulate questions like this. If this is _market_ research, why are the choices Kindle/iPad/phone/computer/other ereader? Which phones? What about other tablets? Why give two brand names precedence, while all other brands are plonked into heterogeneous groups? This question makes no sense, and is very unlikely to give you usable information. In addition, you've written "ever read", meaning if I've ever opened a book even once in an iPad, that gets a tick, despite me doing 99.9% of my reading on, say, a Kobo. You've not even attempted to gather information on what people are using daily, instead of what they looked at once five years ago. As it is, I ticked every square. What have you learnt from my answer?
8. is missing more options or a write-in "other" option.
9. is unanswerable. I think e-cookbooks should be a lot less than their beautiful embroidered-cover hardback counterparts. The gap for mass-market novels should be a little less. For small-press books, perhaps even less again.
10. Again unanswerable. They'll never completely and utterly replace hardcopy books, much as buggy whips still exist in the world.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote