Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Exclamation Free (Kindle DRM-free) The Wolf and the Crown by A.A. Attanasio [Epic Fantasy] + KDP

This morning's KDP Select exclusive-or-else-but-up-to-5-days-free-out-of-90 slushpile yield is a light but nice one, giving us the 3rd book of A.A. Attanasio's Arthurian epic fantasy.

I kind of wonder if I just missed the 1st book being freebied or he's just doing them in some sort of random order and/or hoping people will buy the start of the series.

Anyway, there's also a handful of the usual backlist author repubs/self-pubs of romance/chick-lit mystery/thrillers as well for the non sf/fantasy readers in the audience. And unusually, some historicals.

If a link looks broken, I probably copy-pasted wrong. Amazon search is your friend.

The Wolf and the Crown by A.A. Attanasio, is as mentioned, 3rd in his The Perilous Order of Camelot epic fantasy retelling of Arthurian myths, originally published by HarperCollins in 1998.

Attanasio is a well respected sf/fantasy author, and for the month of January, you can pick up some of his SF backlist books at 37% off with the coupon from the re-publisher Phoenix Pick, who are also offering a freebie Charles Sheffield (award-winning sf writer) short story collection which is well worth picking up.

Free without DRM for who knows how long (though the previous 2nd-in-series book seems to have only lasted a day) @ Amazon main UK DE ES FR IT.

Description
Though he possesses the legendary sword Excalibur, the boy-king "Arthor" discovers that he must earn the respect of the warring lords of Britain before he can truly claim his place as their leader. The third volume in Attanasio's epic re-creation of the Arthurian cycle follows young Arthor through his first difficult year of kingship. This is a flamboyant, magical retelling of the saga of Camelot.

Harlequin-published Patricia Kay offers a Vegas-set contemporary romance: Betting on Love.

Lynn Emery is a previously HarperCollins HarperTorch-published author who's had one of her books turned into a US TV network movie and has some romance awards. She offers the urban/maybe-chick-lit-ish mystery/thriller in her Willa Crown mystery series: Best Enemies.

If you missed the J.R. Rain's Ghost Stories omnibus with formerly Dorchester-published chick-lit mystery writer Gemma Halliday's novella Haunted, it's now popped up again in another 4-story omnibus: Scott Nicholson's Ghost Stories.

Fellow MR member author and writer of TV show tie-in novels Lee Goldberg offers the 1st of his formerly-St. Martin's Press-published Charlie Willis possibly-comedic mystery thrillers: My Gun Has Bullets.

Michael Haskins offers a 1st in series mystery originally published by Five Star: Chasin' the Wind - A Mad Mick Murphy Key West Mystery Novel

Mary Fremont Schoenecker also offers a Five Star-published historical possibly-romance, set in the US Civil War: Four Summers Waiting.

Suzanne Tyrpak's Ancient Greece historical probably-mystery/maybe-women's fiction looks like it's self-pub, but it has a foreword by mystery/crime writer Tess Gerritsen (of the tv-adapted Rizzoli & Isles series, IIRC) and she's had a short story published in some anthology with people like sf/fantasy writer Terry Brooks. And frankly, her novel does look interesting and I may give it a try, so: Hetaera--Suspense in Ancient Athens (Agathon's Daughter Book One)

Okay, I think that's everything I could easily spot.

Happy reading, if anything appeals to you.

ETA: If you like noir-ish thrillers, you may want to try R.J. Jagger's: The Shadow File (A Bryson Wilde Thriller). He says in his blurb that he's been praised by J.A. Konrath and the Library Journal and such for previous books printed under different titles. I've no idea whether that's true or not, but he's offering this one for free so you can judge for yourself whether the apparent praise was merited.

Last edited by ATDrake; 01-08-2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Add series order & provenance.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Wow - another Attanasio! Thanks for that.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Picked up 4 more. Thanks!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:33 AM   #4
pdarnold
Connoisseur
pdarnold can name that song in three notespdarnold can name that song in three notespdarnold can name that song in three notespdarnold can name that song in three notespdarnold can name that song in three notespdarnold can name that song in three notespdarnold can name that song in three notespdarnold can name that song in three notespdarnold can name that song in three notespdarnold can name that song in three notespdarnold can name that song in three notes

Device: Nook and Kindle4PC
4 of A A Attanasio free at Kobobooks.com

In searching out prices for the other books in A A Attanasio The Perilous Order of Camelot series I found these 4 free at Kobobooks.com. The links follow:

The Wolf and the Crown -
http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/The-W...nAw/page1.html

The Serpent and the Grail -
http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/The-S...qNw/page1.html

The Eagle and the Sword -
http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/The-E...HVg/page1.html

The Dragon and the Unicorn -
http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/The-D...yAA/page1.html

I don't know in which order they were published, I just quickly grabbed them and came here to let others know. I hope the links will work, if not just copy and paste the the addresses.
pdarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:42 AM   #5
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Thanks, and welcome to MobileRead!

I suspect that they were once on Smashwords and had been set to "free" when they got removed. I've seen it happen with a couple of other titles which were KDP Selected, where the Smashwords versions were still free for just a few extra days in Sony or one of the other SW-venues right after they'd been removed.

E.g. Eagle and the Sword (KDP-selected a couple of days ago) and Dragon and the Unicorn are still showing at $2.99 @ B&N, but not for much longer.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Major score! Thanks guys.
Anyone worked out that I'm a bit of an Attanasio fan yet?
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdarnold View Post
In searching out prices for the other books in A A Attanasio The Perilous Order of Camelot series I found these 4 free at Kobobooks.com. The links follow:

The Wolf and the Crown -
http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/The-W...nAw/page1.html

The Serpent and the Grail -
http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/The-S...qNw/page1.html

The Eagle and the Sword -
http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/The-E...HVg/page1.html

The Dragon and the Unicorn -
http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/The-D...yAA/page1.html

I don't know in which order they were published, I just quickly grabbed them and came here to let others know. I hope the links will work, if not just copy and paste the the addresses.
Thank you! I snapped them up .
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #8
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdarnold View Post
DRM-free there, also, so easily used by all. Thanks.

ETA: and now, apparently gone....

Last edited by koland; 01-09-2012 at 02:32 PM.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post

ETA: and now, apparently gone....
Definitely not working any more
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
You need to be logged in. They just worked for me.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I'm logged in and I can't get them to work!
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #12
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
If you are logged in, they do work .... provided you've already "purchased" them - otherwise, you now get an error msg that either says they have been removed on that there is an internal server error. Presumably the books have been removed from the catalog.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:11 AM   #13
pdarnold
Connoisseur
pdarnold can name that song in three notespdarnold can name that song in three notespdarnold can name that song in three notespdarnold can name that song in three notespdarnold can name that song in three notespdarnold can name that song in three notespdarnold can name that song in three notespdarnold can name that song in three notespdarnold can name that song in three notespdarnold can name that song in three notespdarnold can name that song in three notes

Device: Nook and Kindle4PC
No longer free at Amazon either.

Sorry guys & gals, the free A. A. Attanasio books didn't last for long on Kobo. It appears The Wolf and the Crown (The Perilous Order of Camelot) is no longer free on Amazon either.

Thank you ATDrake for the welcome. Even more so, thank you for all the past tips and leads for free books! At last, I finally had "something" to contribute. Albeit, short lived.
pdarnold is offline   Reply With Quote