Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-11-2011, 05:21 AM   #1
Aurora13
Enthusiast
Aurora13 began at the beginning.

Device: IPod, Sony PRS-350
Cookbooks on e-readers

Does anyone have cookbooks on their e-readers? Sorry this may be a silly question, but I have a weakness for cookbooks and was just wondering how it would work on an e-reader. I am assuming that it wouldn't be the greatest But maybe cookbooks without pictures?

Christie
Aurora13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:24 AM   #2
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
I don't really use my ereader for ANY reference books, they just don't work as well as paper yet where reference books are concerned imho.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 05:28 AM   #3
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
I do use one for cooking, but he "cookbook" is my very own collection of favorite recipes, basically just lists of ingredients and amounts. I don't think it would work very well for recipes I hadn't used before; it's really more of an aide-memoire than anything else.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
On my iPad I have ON THE GRILL, GOODFOOD, SIMPLY ORG and a few others because the pictures are great. I have basic Cookbooks on my Kobo and Kindle3 which I got for free.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
I do use one for cooking, but he "cookbook" is my very own collection of favorite recipes, basically just lists of ingredients and amounts. I don't think it would work very well for recipes I hadn't used before; it's really more of an aide-memoire than anything else.
My Promedia is stationed in the kitchen and contains recipes I mostly got off the internet. I format them nicely and make them into a cookbook (or multiple, one for each course). Works perfectly. I don't need fancy pictures during cooking.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I have this thing about electronics in the kitchen, I use a lot of flour so any extended time spent there will cause them to break down. Paper cookbooks for me.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
The kindle's timeout makes it harder to use unless you press keys (with messy fingers) to keep it awake.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Not any actual books, but there are a few big cooking sites bookmarked in the browser that we'll keep handy for a quick reference when looking for something new to make.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
I do use one for cooking, but the "cookbook" is my very own collection of favorite recipes, basically just lists of ingredients and amounts. I don't think it would work very well for recipes I hadn't used before; it's really more of an aide-memoire than anything else.
That's a really great idea, thanks. We've got a bunch of recipes we use regularly as .doc files on a network share, but putting them into .mobi so we can have on the Kindle would be a helpful.

(Oh, and to answer the original question, only one, since that's the only one of the cookbooks I have that's available as an eBook so far, but I'd like to see more. I don't cook from pictures, I cook from recipes.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
I have this thing about electronics in the kitchen, I use a lot of flour so any extended time spent there will cause them to break down. Paper cookbooks for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
The kindle's timeout makes it harder to use unless you press keys (with messy fingers) to keep it awake.
Pop your reader into a zip-lock bag. I do that if reading in the bath.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #11
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
The iPad is fantastic for cook books. I particularly like the apps that have videos. For safety, just put the iPad in a 1lb zip lock freezer bag. Use the iPad for cooking all the time.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #12
Xiaopangzi
Enthusiast
Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: kindle k3, prs-t2
One thing to keep in mind about cookbooks on an ereader is that automatic indexing and fast searching for keywords in one or all the books turns out to be a very useful feature.
Xiaopangzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #13
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Oh.Christie, finally a twin soul.

I have a few. And use all of them, some for reading, some for actual cooking.
the last ones I bought are
Cooking for Geeks by Jeff Potter, that makes also a fantastic and funny reading.

On Food and Cooking that I have not started to read yet. But my cooking guru is just enthusiastic about it.

I make heavy use of some applications (more than books) with an enormous number of recipes.
The ones I use more frequently are
How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman
Epicurious the cooking companion
Il Cucchiaio d'Argento (Italian with Italian recipes, a must in Italian families of good tradition, my mother had it, and so does my older daughter, both great cooks).

About screen size and pictures. I use an itouch 4 (I have excellent eyes) that is sturdy and very handy, and I do not have any problems with it.
It is also useful in taking quick pictures of my cooking endeavors.

Hands clean or "dirty" (cook's hands are never dirty ) do not matter as i can wipe clean the thing whenever it is necessary, like I do with my chef's knife.

Last edited by beppe; 04-11-2011 at 07:09 PM.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #14
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora13 View Post
Cookbooks on e-readers

Christie
I prefer mine braised with a nice red wine reduction or a mushroom gravy. I never look for a cookbook on ereaders I just wing it in the kitchen. I have plenty of other cookbooks though.
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #15
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
There has been a unit for some time that is similar to a reader called mibook at mibook.com though their site is down at the moment.

http://www.amazon.com/miBook-MKC10-m.../dp/B001EX3SNS is Amazons ad if anyone is interested.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote