Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-25-2014, 01:32 PM   #16
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My update which I did a few days ago went smoothly so this issue does not affect everyone. But nonetheless thanks for the warning.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:40 PM   #17
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
In the 10+ years of using iTunes, I have never had an issue, ever. Both on Windows and Mac.

I don't get it.
I've been using iTunes since 2004. Jack's statement is consistent with my past experience in the early years of its development. I used to never download the update until after people had reported their problems. I had at least one PC-version update require a do over and fresh install. It's nice of Harry to share the news and save people the hassle that he had.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #18
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Sounds like the old horror stories from years ago when iTunes was very finicky on Windows. I must have had to go through a similar uninstall and reinstall ritual half a dozen times, or more. Fortunately that doesn't happen with Macs, at least not yet. But iTunes does remain a slow dog of an app that needs to be totally reworked. Regardless of computer OS, it is unreliable with WiFi syncing and runs at a snail's pace. Even wired syncing can bog down and even fail. Since iTunes has been around now for 7 or 8 years, you would think Apple could pull its head out of its backside and get it programmed correctly.
I have seen you and others complain about this occasionally and most times I have been puzzled. I have never had a moment's issue with its speed - when it works. My issue with wifi sync is: why on earth, when it can see a device when you first open it, and can see a device when you choose one of the tabs (eg apps) but when you go to sync, it suddenly cannot see it. Thats my beef. I have no probs with wired but with 3 devices... most times I'm going to be wifi.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:20 PM   #19
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
kyte - are you able to wirelessly sync outlook calendar?
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:11 PM   #20
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Thanks for the heads-up. I saw this error myself and I'll just skip this update until they patch in the next fix.

I know opinions vary but to me iTunes on the PC is like an ugly hunchback Apple keeps around as a whipping boy. It is the least friendly piece of software from a company so focused on the user experience -- laggy (on my serious beast of a desktop), clunky interface, and non-intuitive.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:00 AM   #21
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
I'm guessing the installer has been refreshed. Like Quexos, my update has been trouble free.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:39 AM   #22
andrea345
andrea345 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
I'm rolling back right now - right after I delete the hated "update" it made to my epub book format I'd loaded into iBooks. This is after I spent over 5 hours reloading my ibooks. I can't "see" them any longer with one of my sideloading programs. Sheesh. I'm an idiot. My music is all "clouded", duplicated, and basically just screwed up.

What a freakin' mess. I thought I'd "waited" long enough. Nope. I reloaded drivers and registry entries to even get "it" to work again. Going back to 10....
andrea345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #23
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Wasted 2 hours this morning because the iTunes 11.1.4 update for 64-bit Windows is broken. After you install the new version and try to run iTunes you get the error "MSVCR80.dll is missing from your computer". From the Apple support forums it seems that this is happening for everyone (or at least, a very large number of people).
Thanks Harry. Is this just for Win 7? How about Win8, any reports for that?
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:09 PM   #24
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I have seen you and others complain about this occasionally and most times I have been puzzled. I have never had a moment's issue with its speed - when it works. My issue with wifi sync is: why on earth, when it can see a device when you first open it, and can see a device when you choose one of the tabs (eg apps) but when you go to sync, it suddenly cannot see it. Thats my beef. I have no probs with wired but with 3 devices... most times I'm going to be wifi.
I think a lot of the WiFi speed/connection issues might have to do with a person's WiFi network and router. I've had iTunes WiFi issues with AT&T U-Verse and Time Warner Cable using both PCs and Macs. The WiFi sync, when on the rare occasion that it does work, is incredibly slow. I too get frustrated with WiFi syncs that simply die because iTunes loses track of the iOS device. That is a frequent occurrence, and has been in all the years I've tried using it. Wired is usually faster, but I still get the constant backups that can take forever to complete, though sometimes they are fast. IMO, the iPads far outshine anything Samsux makes. Too bad iTunes doesn't meet the same consistent standards as the iPads.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:25 PM   #25
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
I am just wondering, has anyone had any trouble with this iTunes update on a Mac or is it just with Windows...?
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:27 PM   #26
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I think a lot of the WiFi speed/connection issues might have to do with a person's WiFi network and router. I've had iTunes WiFi issues with AT&T U-Verse and Time Warner Cable using both PCs and Macs. The WiFi sync, when on the rare occasion that it does work, is incredibly slow. I too get frustrated with WiFi syncs that simply die because iTunes loses track of the iOS device. That is a frequent occurrence, and has been in all the years I've tried using it. Wired is usually faster, but I still get the constant backups that can take forever to complete, though sometimes they are fast. IMO, the iPads far outshine anything Samsux makes. Too bad iTunes doesn't meet the same consistent standards as the iPads.
iTunes is better than Samsung Kies! At least it works.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:55 PM   #27
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post
I am just wondering, has anyone had any trouble with this iTunes update on a Mac or is it just with Windows...?
I haven't had any issues specifically related to the latest iTunes update on my Mac Mini.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:57 AM   #28
andrea345
andrea345 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Well, I've spent close to 4+ hours with Apple Level 2 Tech Support and nearly 20 hours this weekend trying to recover my music and my books.

My iPad music creates "duplicates", presumably as an indication that the cloud copy is available. I ended up having to go back to the latest version of iTunes that I could find b/c otherwise my iPad wouldn't connect and before the end of the day, I'd "lost" nearly 2/3rds of my files.

First go around of copies with the new iTunes - and I did this with Level 2 Tech Support watching - showed the copy of all my music, but then when I went to the store, I had to RE-download over 1/3 of the songs.

Then when I was trying my side-load of epubs back onto iBook app everything just went to garbage. All the music I'd finally gotten copied and stable just corrupted. Mostly they were the copies I'd imported to iTunes from CD or other sources. So, first set of problems were that the music which I thought was downloaded, really wasn't (and that took 3x @ the iTunes store to clear 'em all out). Then the iBooks sideload created a sync location which recorrupted all my non-iTunes music.

I guess I'll be starting to figure out how to use Marvin. I did love the iBooks read aloud and grouping structure. Time to go learn a new app...
andrea345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #29
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
I received the iTunes update "invitation" last night when I opened iTunes on my Win 7 pc.

Naturally I didn't take up the offer.

What is strange is that every other iTunes update notification has appeared at the bottom of the pc screen alongside the pinned programs, before I've even opened iTunes ?
There it would sit winking menacingly at me, demanding attention until I either ran it or cancelled it.

With this update Apple seemed to have adopted a softly-softly approach ?
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:32 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post
I received the iTunes update "invitation" last night when I opened iTunes on my Win 7 pc.

Naturally I didn't take up the offer.

What is strange is that every other iTunes update notification has appeared at the bottom of the pc screen alongside the pinned programs, before I've even opened iTunes ?
There it would sit winking menacingly at me, demanding attention until I either ran it or cancelled it.

With this update Apple seemed to have adopted a softly-softly approach ?
Depends whether the check is done by the Apple Software Updater or by iTunes. ASU only checks every so often, so if you run iTunes first (which always checks for an update) that's what you'll get the prompt from.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote