Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-03-2008, 11:29 AM   #1
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
Moon is a harsh Mistress -> where to go next?

So, I have almost finished Heinlein's Moon is a harsh Mistress, and I've really enjoyed it.

Not so much because of it's Hard SciFi, but more because it's imo really well written.

So I'm looking for recommendations for other great Heinlein novels.

(other well written SciFi is welcome as well)
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
whatshouldIreadnext.com recommends the following:

Double Star - Robert A. Heinlein See Amazon UK | US Revolt in 2100 - Heinlein Robert A. See Amazon UK | US Ethan of Athos - Lois McMaster Bujold See Amazon UK | US Honor Among Enemies - David Weber See Amazon UK | US Cities in Flight - James Blish See Amazon UK | US
And a more.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

Double Star - Robert A. Heinlein See Amazon UK | US Revolt in 2100 - Heinlein Robert A. See Amazon UK | US Ethan of Athos - Lois McMaster Bujold See Amazon UK | US Honor Among Enemies - David Weber See Amazon UK | US Cities in Flight - James Blish See Amazon UK | US
And a more.

BOb
Thank you for the link.

I didn't know that site.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:49 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I always associate this novel with Isaac Asimov's The Gods Themselves, because both portray a Moon colony (only in the last of 3 distinct parts in The Gods Themselves).

Azimov's novel (a Hugo and Nebula winner) is well worth reading. It is probably his best fiction writing.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I'll add a couple of more to the list. The Star Beast and Citizen Of The Galaxy.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Bujold, Weber and some Heinlen are available in E from Baen.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:25 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I don't know how familiar you are with the SF school of writing, but you should take a look at these great oldies:

1) The Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov
2) I, Robot - Isaac Asimov
3) The Voyage of the Space Beagle - A.E. Van Vogt
4) Slan - A.E. Van Vogt
5) More Than Human - Theodore Sturgeon
6) The Martian Chronicles - Ray Bradbury
7) A Case of Conscience - James Blish
8) A Canticle For Lebowitz - Walter M. Miller, Jr.
9) Farnham's Freehold - Robert A. Heinlein

And so many more.....

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:35 PM   #8
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
For me the better Heinlein novels are (in no particular order)
  • Starman Jones (juvenile)
  • Time enough for Love
  • Fear no Evil
  • Friday
  • Puppet Masters
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I'll second the recommendation for Cities in Flight by James Blish. Another Heinlein that I strongly recommend is Sixth Column. While Honor Among Enemies is an excellent book, it's 6th in the series and I personally don't like to read series out of order. You might start the series with On Basilisk Station.

Other excellent SF include Remnant Population by Elizabeth Moon, The Mote in God's Eye by Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven, Dune by Frank Herbert, Forty Thousand in Gehenna by C J Cherryh, and Iceworld by Hal Clement.

And, don't overlook the masters of SF, among them: Arthur C Clarke, Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, Poul Anderson, Andre Norton, Anne McCaffrey, James White, Roger Zelazny, and Alan Dean Foster.

I'm sure other SF fans will have other books and authors to recommend -- and on another day, my own list would be different. You probably won't go wrong if you read through the Hugo and Nebula award winners.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:37 PM   #10
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
And I'll second every single book on Dr. Drib's list. Excellent -- one and all.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb

Oh WOW!!! That is a great website! You been keeping this a secret, Mister, but now I also have the power.

I looked up Starfish by Peter Watts and got a terrific list. I'm gonna be visiting that site a lot from now on.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:54 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Oh WOW!!! That is a great website! You been keeping this a secret, Mister, but now I also have the power.

I looked up Starfish by Peter Watts and got a terrific list. I'm gonna be visiting that site a lot from now on.
Yes, I've done that by mentioning it several times. Also I've been quiet about librarything.com and goodreads.com which also make suggestions... of course with those you generally need to put in more than one title. Shhh... don't tell anyone!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #13
Laz116
Guru

Damn, so many suggestions...

Some of which I have read already, but many sounds interesting.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:20 PM   #14
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Victor Milan's _The Cybernetic Samurai_ is an interesting tie-in since it features a character whose favourite novel is _The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:48 PM   #15
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Jack Vance - Tashi series is good light reading for scifi adventure

Tschai 1 - City of the Chasch
Tschai 2 - Servants of the Wankh
Tschai 3 - The DirDir
Tschai 4 - The Pnume
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote