Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-29-2020, 10:22 AM   #1
andy18cruz
andy18cruz began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note 2
Question about scanned PDF's on 10 inch Ereader

Hi, I'm new here and I was looking to buy a ereader for work. I work mostly with PDF's, which I know it's not the best format for ereaders. I have researched quite a bit in the last few weeks and it seems that the best choice for me would be the Onyx Boox Note 2 as it has great options to costumize the reading experience with PDF's, has a stylus to right quick notes in pdf itself and runs android 9.0 allowing me to work directly with google drive. Although I work with normal pdf, I have quite a few technical books that were scanned and converted to pdf (most I already convert to OCR as well). They 100% text based and 2 pages in A4 format to be read in landscape mode, which is fine by me. My question is how would Boox Note 2 (or other equivalent ereaders) performe with those scanned books on pdf? Would the text be visible with no problems and allow me to underline and takes notes like most pdf programs on windows or android do? Preferably I could also highlight text, like I can on a computer. Note 2 is price, more than 500 euros, i actually costs more than my current laptop, so I want to make sure it works without problem. E-ink is something I think is great because I spend most of my day looking at a screen and this could help my eyes. Getting a tablet is a option, Samsung Tab S6 lite looks great with the stylus, but it would have blue light and has all the distractions that a tablet has. An ereader would be a productivity only device. Thanks for the tips.
andy18cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:05 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
A 120 euro 10" LCD Android tablet works better for PDFs. A 12" or larger would be better. Xodo on Andriod is good. Tabs for multiple PDFs. Also displays Powerpoint and images. Browses 256G SD card fine.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2020, 11:42 AM   #3
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Yeah, the Note will allow you to annotate and highlight scanned (OCRed) PDFs no problem. You can also write notes with a stylus on a non-OCR version. You could probably also manage ok on the 7.8 Nova in landscape depending on your eyesight, but for sure, bigger is better. Onyx tend to last, so it's not a bad investment if you plan to use it for say 3 years.

But check on the Onyx sub-forum before you sink the cash. Incidentally Onyx is about to release a new model, so you might want to wait. Personally, if you can get the older model cheaper, I would go for it. There isn't much difference between models except Android version.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 09-30-2020 at 11:44 AM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:21 AM   #4
andy18cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
A 120 euro 10" LCD Android tablet works better for PDFs. A 12" or larger would be better. Xodo on Andriod is good. Tabs for multiple PDFs. Also displays Powerpoint and images. Browses 256G SD card fine.
Yes, I am aware that tablets are much better for PDF. I worked with Xodo for Android and it's a very good program. The Samsung Tab S6 Lite looks great for the price and comes with a stylus that is important to me to take small notes. Does way more and it is much cheaper. My problem with them is that with them I will be looking at a screen again with all that blue light. I already basically spend my day looking at a screen at work and in home. So I am looking for alternatives.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:37 AM   #5
andy18cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Yeah, the Note will allow you to annotate and highlight scanned (OCRed) PDFs no problem. You can also write notes with a stylus on a non-OCR version. You could probably also manage ok on the 7.8 Nova in landscape depending on your eyesight, but for sure, bigger is better. Onyx tend to last, so it's not a bad investment if you plan to use it for say 3 years.

But check on the Onyx sub-forum before you sink the cash. Incidentally Onyx is about to release a new model, so you might want to wait. Personally, if you can get the older model cheaper, I would go for it. There isn't much difference between models except Android version.
Thanks for the answer. I think if choose a ereader for work it needs to be a 10 inch screen as my eye sight isn't the best. Unfortunately I don't seem to find the older model (Note Pro) anywhere in online shops in Europe. Only shipping from US or China, which for me isn't an option as it would cost me a fortune in VAT in the customs. It seems as well as the Note 2 isn't available anymore in any Amazon shop in EU. Maybe they are changing to the newer model they are about to release.
Advert
Old 10-01-2020, 07:45 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy18cruz View Post
Thanks for the answer. I think if choose a ereader for work it needs to be a 10 inch screen as my eye sight isn't the best. Unfortunately I don't seem to find the older model (Note Pro) anywhere in online shops in Europe. Only shipping from US or China, which for me isn't an option as it would cost me a fortune in VAT in the customs. It seems as well as the Note 2 isn't available anymore in any Amazon shop in EU. Maybe they are changing to the newer model they are about to release.
Forget the Note Pro. The new Onyx Boox Note Air is significantly better. Also there is te the Pocketbook Inkpad X that 10.3". So look closely at both of these and see which one is better for reading PDF and then make your purchase.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:35 AM   #7
andy18cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Forget the Note Pro. The new Onyx Boox Note Air is significantly better. Also there is te the Pocketbook Inkpad X that 10.3". So look closely at both of these and see which one is better for reading PDF and then make your purchase.
Note Air is currently only being shipped from China and that would cost me around € 100 in VAT alone, so it would be too much atm. Inkpad X for note taking is not a valid option. I think I will wait to see if Note 2 becomes available again or when Note Air comes to amazon shops in the EU.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:50 AM   #8
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have 3 previously owned Onyxs. All work great. There might be some note 1 and 2 available as people upgrade to new models.

Yes, 10" would be best. Bigger is better. In landscape the text would be very big and clear. Very nice

Last edited by Pajamaman; 10-01-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:53 AM   #9
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think they are all very good. Not much difference. Maybe a bit faster, but the note 1 would be fine I think.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:24 AM   #10
andy18cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I have 3 previously owned Onyxs. All work great. There might be some note 1 and 2 available as people upgrade to new models.

Yes, 10" would be best. Bigger is better. In landscape the text would be very big and clear. Very nice
Thanks for the input. For what I've read Onyx is a very good option for work, despite being pricey. I will look at an option to buy one of their models, if not through amazon by other retailer.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:35 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The Note Air is not yet available through Amazon and, additionally, it will not be released until Sept. 10.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:00 PM   #12
andy18cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The Note Air is not yet available through Amazon and, additionally, it will not be released until Sept. 10.
it's available on October 10. Would the Note Air be better than the Note 2? It has a better processor and runs Android 10, but only has 3gb Ram, 32 Rom and Battery 3000 mAh compared to the Note 2, 4gb Ram, 64gb Rom and baterry 4300 mAH. Sorry to bother you all with those questions, but I am completely new to the ereader world.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:27 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
^ That was me not thinking: I meant Oct. 10 is the scheduled ship date.

I think the battery is slightly less on the Note Air, and it has only 32 gigs rather than 64.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-01-2020 at 01:29 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:40 PM   #14
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks for the input. For what I've read Onyx is a very good option for work, despite being pricey. I will look at an option to buy one of their models, if not through amazon by other retailer.
There's a seller in Germany who's reliable, otherwise I'd buy direct from Onyx (not the Russian reseller.) Best for warranty.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:52 PM   #15
andy18cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
^ That was me not thinking: I meant Oct. 10 is the scheduled ship date.

I think the battery is slightly less on the Note Air, and it has only 32 gigs rather than 64.
I found this review and I think I will opt out for the Note 2: https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...vs-boox-note2/

The handle is good, but I will be reading mostly on a table so that doesn't make a huge difference to me.