Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-14-2007, 06:19 AM   #1
flubu
master of my own domain
flubu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
A plethora of un-choices (bit of a rant)

I want to buy an e-book reader. I have a bit of money stashed away in a sock for that specific purpose. The only problem is that I can't make up my mind as to which one I should get.

I want something that will handle text, html, pdf (as much as currently possible). Being a software engineer, I want something that has a SDK (hopefully java) that I can play around with. Most of the general specs are identical, or very similar, across the board.

Here's my thought process so far:
  • Iliad
    yay: droolworthy
    nay: too expensive for me, sadly. Not an option.
  • Handlin V2
    yay: good supported formats, possible SDK
    nay: not available in western europe($$ shipping and VAT)
  • STAReBook
    yay: interesting reviews. fast. sexy.
    nay: lack of formats, no SDK, not available in western europe($$ shipping and VAT)
  • Sony
    yay: good reviews. large user base. lots of software (SDK?). lots of books.

NAEB and Bookeen also have very interesting specs, but nobody seems to be able to get hold of the damned things.

That seems to be the main problem for all of the devices, except the Sony and the Iliad: NOBODY KNOWS WHERE TO GET THEM! The only place to get most of them is via a website that is poorly designed or has no actual content. This does not inspire confidence, nor is the fact that if you need to get the unit serviced, you need to mail it back to China, Turkey, Ukraine.

So far, I'm leaning towards getting a Sony, because a coworker is going to the US at the end of July and will be able to bring me back one.

Can anybody shed light as to what is going to happen in the short term for western europe availability for the Bookeen, STAReBOOK and Hanlin units?
flubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:39 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
flubu, first of all welcome on board Indeed, the market for e-readers looks kinda chaotic right now. If you are not in a hurry, you may want to wait a bit longer for the next generation of E Ink readers to come out (such as the Bookeen Cybook or the NUUT, which feature E Ink's next generation ink film (giving better contrast ratios and refresh speed).

At least the Cybook will be available more easily through the European channels of Bookeen. Availability sometime this summer.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2007, 08:55 AM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Most everybody here that has an e-ink device has had to wait for it for a long time. If you look in older threads they're loaded with unavailability frustration comments. If you need one, now you have the possibilities of the web to help acquire any one.

These devices are all part of an infant state technology but to me all of them in their way, do what they're supposed to unless one is very finicky. Personally, my Sony will display my reads for a long time!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:33 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, flubu!

I agree with you that things are kinda jumbled right now with a number of not yet really understood options.

But on the bright side, there actually are options now. A year ago, there really weren't not so far as e-ink goes. At that time, we were doing a mass petition of iRex to actually release the iLiad! What a difference a year makes!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:59 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by flubu View Post
NAEB and Bookeen also have very interesting specs, but nobody seems to be able to get hold of the damned things.
It is very likely that they are using the latest generation of E-Ink screens, which are just now becoming available.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2007, 10:31 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Lots of us on the Sony Reader forum are outside the US, and we've used all sorts of different ways of getting hold of them. I bought mine from eBay, others by directly from US suppliers who ship internationally; others get friends visiting the US to buy one. Pretty much everyone seems very happy, no matter how they got it!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:52 AM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I'd suggest a second hand iLiad, as long as you don't mind the boot time and short battery life. That's what I did.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #8
flubu
master of my own domain

I've seen the NUUT. I've forwarded the website to a friend living in Korea to ask for a bit of a translation and some details
Old 06-14-2007, 11:03 AM   #9
flubu
master of my own domain

Indeed. I'm just chomping at the bit. I'm not good with this patience thing

On another completely different matter, whereabouts in Montreal? I used to live in Snowdon (and the McGill ghetto for ages before that) before I moved to the UK
Old 06-14-2007, 11:05 AM   #10
flubu
master of my own domain

if all else fails, it's probably what's going to happen. I have a coworker going to Washington in July. I'm just wondering if I should wait a bit longer. I'd have to bu a Sony and find that as soon as I have it, all the other units will become available locally
Old 06-14-2007, 11:13 AM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Indeed. I'm just chomping at the bit. I'm not good with this patience thing

On another completely different matter, whereabouts in Montreal? I used to live in Snowdon (and the McGill ghetto for ages before that) before I moved to the UK
I'm from Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu on the south shore of Montréal. The reader is still unavailable in Canada so I resorted to the help of resourceful and some powerful friends to get one from the States. And I thank them again for the Nth time! I love my reader.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:25 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The main issue as I see it is less on the hardware and more on the software. What formats will these new reader support? How easy will it be to purchase books in that format or how about converting from something to that format? Don't just go with the specs and say yes I want that. Also look very closely at the software issues. I was able to go for a Sony Reader because I came here and found the tools available to help me get content other then purchasing from the Connect store.

I don't care how beautiful the hardware is, if the software is crap, then you'll have some nice hardware with almost nothing to do with it. remember, it's all about the software since the hardware is probably good enough.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:58 PM   #13
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
I bought the Sony Reader on my trip to the US. I am perfectly satisfied with it. It does everything I need and I have read many books on it in the past two months. I have not heard of any regrets in buying the Sony.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:37 AM   #14
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
[*]Handlin V2
yay: good supported formats, possible SDK
Hanlin IS available in western europe.
Not V2 but V8

have a look at
http://www.walkbook.net/
http://www.walkbook.net/index_en.php

328 Euro (DHL express shipment and VAT is included)
If you are in European union you do not even pay import duty.
328 is 436.4696 U.S. dollars according to google.

It is tad more expensive than SONY Reader, *but*
- you pay duty when you bring in Reader - up to $70
- you have to pay for shipping - up to $100
- you have to pay handling fee for a reseler ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:47 AM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

I don't care how beautiful the hardware is, if the software is crap, then you'll have some nice hardware with almost nothing to do with it. remember, it's all about the software since the hardware is probably good enough.
Don't want to contradict but take a look at the first Kindle. Ugh! Personally I'd veneer some wood over it to give it looks, that would be just enough to help lesten it's shape... well lack of shape.
But you're right about software and content. Without it it's not a reader.