Old 12-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #31
scoot.at
FlapJack
scoot.at began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, Onyx Boox Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30574260

The article, however is not talking about electronic readers it's talking about using a tablet instead of an electronic reader.

It's a very badly written article.

"The researchers said other e-readers such as the Nook and Kindle Fire produced similar wavelengths of light and would have the same impact."

Some Nooks do not produce similar wavelengths of light.
I think it mentioned nook tablet, not e-reader.
scoot.at is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:28 PM   #32
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot.at View Post
I think it mentioned nook tablet, not e-reader.
The original paper briefly references the colour temperature of the Nook Colour. The BBC article just says "the Nook", by which most people would infer an e-ink Nook.

The original paper looks at no front-lit ereaders at all.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #33
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagepack View Post
I've emailed the BBC saying this exact same thing, asking that they rewrite the article to make clear the differencing between e-ink displays and tablets.

Sloppy journalism.
The article I read on it -- one of the articles -- did specifically mention the difference between back and front lighting ...

Quote:
But not all eReaders cause the user to lose sleep. The original Kindle, which doesn’t have its own light source, reflects the same ambient light as a regular book, the study says. Other Kindle devices, like the Paperwhite and Voyage, also use different light technology designed to be easier on the eyes, however these devices were not tested in the study.
http://consumerist.com/2014/12/23/ca...r-nooks-fault/
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The first problem with this article is the title. It's not eBooks. It's LCD screens. So the problem could be playing Angy Birds before going to sleep. It's not just reading eBooks it's looking at an LCD screen. So the article is wrong. The next is that they don't stress enough that eInk is not an issue.

The thing is, I've read in bed with an iPad and my phone and had no problems sleeping.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:09 AM   #35
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The thing is, I've read in bed with an iPad and my phone and had no problems sleeping.
I bet you hadn't turned your screen to full brightness and put the tablet and phone at a set distance from your eyes at a fixed location... So, no turning around to the other side to lay more comfortably and relax stressed muscles...

I bet they hadn't turned on a large building lamp while reading that paper book, at the foot of the bed...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2014, 03:41 AM   #36
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Actually our sleep patterns are probably out of sync more due to the electric light than an ereader I'd think. Prior to the electric light being so easily acquired people went to bed shortly after it got dark as oil and kerosene lamps were expensive to keep going late into the night. And the natural sleep pattern (as I understand it) is to have 1st sleep and 2nd sleep. 1st sleep goes from when people would go to bed til around midnight. Back in the day when people woke from 1st sleep the mother of the family would check in on the kids or other short term tasks while the man of the house would take care of anything (on the farm) that he hadn't earlier in the day (maybe some milking etc) and it was also the time when a lot of babies would be conceived as people were rested (and any children in the house were asleep). Then people would go back to sleep til it was time to get up. Now days though we tend to stay up later and don't get enough sleep on top of it. Plus we are temperature sensitive. If we are too warm or cold it throws our biochemistry off and we wake up groggy and unrested.

Last edited by crich70; 12-24-2014 at 03:43 AM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:37 AM   #37
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagepack View Post
I've emailed the BBC saying this exact same thing, asking that they rewrite the article to make clear the differencing between e-ink displays and tablets.

Sloppy journalism.
That's the current BBC Standard - I refer to them as the Daily Mail of Broadcasting, when I'm not calling them the Bolshevik Bullshit Commissariat.

They should stick to what they know - salacious period romps.

I cringe in anticipation of what they'll do to Wolf Hall

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-24-2014 at 04:39 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #38
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Tried to read the article on my Nexus 7, but kept falling asleep in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Check the footnotes of the original "research": "Dr. Czeisler received royalties from McGraw Hill, Penguin Press/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt"

And the research data: 12 people over 5 days.
If this had been an advert, it would be investigated by the advertising standards agency for being so misleading, but instead they can publish it as a news story and on supposedly neutral, good standard* news website.

*Other views on the neutrality and standard of BBC news are available.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #39
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Given the right boring book, I can be dead tired in mere minutes whether I am reading on LCD or e-ink.

Hell, with something like Atlas Shrugged I could be asleep within seconds even if my e-reader was illuminated with the power of our very Sun.

But I do see what they are saying with the whole melatonin suppression and all that. I prefer to read using e-ink at night, without question.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #40
Nabeel
Zealot
Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
As the son of a BBC employee, I have to say I feel a bit ashamed of this article. It is sloppy.

I do have sleep problems, and find that a) reading anything is a good way to get to sleep (paper, e-book, magazines, cornflake packets) and b) when I can't sleep, reading is a good way of passing the time.
Nabeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #41
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabeel View Post
As the son of a BBC employee, I have to say I feel a bit ashamed of this article. It is sloppy.

I do have sleep problems, and find that a) reading anything is a good way to get to sleep (paper, e-book, magazines, cornflake packets) and b) when I can't sleep, reading is a good way of passing the time.
It wasn't just BBC that picked up the story though. Just lazy journalism in general. It's the scientific study with "results paid for by..." that I have a problem with. Having people read for four hours on an iPad with the brightness set to full intensity in a dim room, setup on a stand at a set distance to guarantee the correct amount of light exposure. Completely unrealistic scenario designed to produce a result.

It's sad because sleep deprivation is a problem for a lot of people and light has been proven to attribute to it. There is a reason that Apple has set the default on iPad's to auto dim and there is a reason that most apps have a night mode.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #42
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
There's a great poem by Humbert Wolfe that says it all

epigram

You cannot hope to bribe or twist
(thank God!) the British journalist.
But, seeing what the man will do
unbribed, there's no occasion to.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #43
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Did the Dr. tell you no more reading in bed on an electronic device, or just in general? I don't know if I could take that advice--I've been reading in bed all my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I wish they ask me! I read in bed Because reading in any format puts me to sleep!! On my last Dr visit I was told no more reading in bed! WTHeck! My Dr must have read this article!!
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #44
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Perhaps it depends on the level of sensitivity we each have. I've read in bed all my life with no problems. I start getting sleepy within half an hour.

A few years ago, when i first got an iPad, i read in bed with it, and after a few weeks realized i was wide awake, and reading for hours, so i stopped and went back to my (unlit) kindle. My normal pattern resumed. So now I use my kindle PW2 downstaris, and unlit kindle touch in bed. It works very well.

I've just returned from a trip overseas, and only took an ipad. Bang, same problem. So, i'm convinced that I'm sensitive to the blue light, and respond very differently to an ipad vs a kindle touch.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:05 PM   #45
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
For me, it would be not reading in bed at all As a person who has gone to work without having slept because of reading a paper book, I'm afraid lighted screen is not the reason
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote